We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Grand Wailea the best waterpark/pool extravaganza?

Redwood City...
6 posts
Save Topic
Is Grand Wailea the best waterpark/pool extravaganza?

Looking to give my kids (girls ages 11 and 14) a chance to experience a really fun pool/waterslide. We'll be spending most of our vacation in a Napili Bay condo, nice and quiet, but for the first night or two I thought I'd let them have the "Disneyland in Maui" experience.

So, is the Grand Wailea the best choice or does anyone have other recommendations?

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,711 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Grand Wailea the best waterpark/pool extravaganza?

The GW is the best choice for this. The kids will love it.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Grand Wailea the best waterpark/pool extravaganza?

Oh yes, and that's the best way to do it. A couple of days at the amusement park and then the real vacation at Napili. Have fun - from an ex-San Carlos resident.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,004 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Grand Wailea the best waterpark/pool extravaganza?

Yeah, two nights at the GW is about right and would all I could tolerate. It will be interesting to hear what your kids think of the contrast between the GW and Napili.

When my boys were teens they thought the GW was okay, but since they spent more time in the ocean they liked Napili better because it was closer to Honolua Bay and Fleiming's Beach for them to surf.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,317 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Grand Wailea the best waterpark/pool extravaganza?

That is what we did with our son. We stayed 2 nights. The room category will not matter because you will spend all your time at the pool! Just go for the lowest price possible.

Our son had a blast and we took quite a beating going thru the pool system over and over again, down slides, thru rapids, rivers, Tarzan rope... they will have fun!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,060 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Grand Wailea the best waterpark/pool extravaganza?

Whether you do GW first or last depends on your kids. If they will be crazy about GW, will Napili seem 'dull'?

I'm always a little surprised that people go all the way to Hawaii and want a water park. There are three within 50 miles of our home north of Chicago.

BTW, 'Disney' is coming to Oahu -- August, I think.

Edited: 21 May 2011, 22:22
Redwood City...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Grand Wailea the best waterpark/pool extravaganza?

(Hello from Redwood City, Julauf!)

Yeah, we wouldn't go all the way to Hawaii just for a water park, but since we'll be there, I thought it would be fun. We stayed at the Hyatt Regency 7 years ago, when they were 6 and 4, and after 3 days we were all going stir crazy and needed to get back to the "real world." I agree with all of you that a big resort is a lot of fun for a short time! I'm not worried my kids will find the condo dull -- they actually prefer staying in vacation homes when we travel.

And yes, I was planning to cheap out on the room! Here's another question: in my shoes, would you do 1 night or 2? We could get an early flight and arrive around noon, and if they let us use the pool before check-in and after check-out the next day, we could get in the equivalent of a day and a half there while only staying 1 night. Would they do that, or are they strict about only guests currently registered there being able to use the facilities?

I'm also wondering if we should rent a car at the airport and pay GW's valet and parking fees, or rent it only the day we leave GW. How much is the shuttle from the airport to GW? (I'm not trying to pinch pennies on what should be a relaxing trip, but why pay for a day or 2 of car rental plus extra fees if we don't need it. . . .)

Edited: 21 May 2011, 23:27
Schaumburg, IL
Level Contributor
792 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Grand Wailea the best waterpark/pool extravaganza?

I would do two days, just in case of rain or something it would be a shame if the weather didn't cooperate on your one day. They do let you register early before check in and they open your "tab" you can eat, shop, use the pools...Not sure about after check out but given all the late day/night flights to the mainland most hotels allow use of their facilities as well as a place to change after swimming. They did allow us a late check out, I think we had a 5 o'clock flight and they let us have the room until 2:00pm. They were very accomodating in that respect. My kids liked it, but 2 days was definitely enough. I hope you have a great trip!

New York
Level Contributor
129 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Grand Wailea the best waterpark/pool extravaganza?

I would stick with 2 nights. We did that two years ago and had a blast. You can use the pool before you get your room. They will let you use a hospitality room on checkout day to shower and change. This year we are planning on three nights at GW. We plan on ending at GW though since our kids probably won't want to leave.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
55,158 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Grand Wailea the best waterpark/pool extravaganza?

Aloha,

Re your rental car q, I understand wanting to save $$$, but.........if you are in Napili first, with a car-then you'd be returning that to OGG-and then shuttling to the GW? Or were you thinking you could drop the car at the GW (very doubtful without a 45-50 drop charge)?

A shuttle for four would be about 45.00 plus tax etc. So, if you return your rental to OGG, then you'd have a shuttle to the GW and also back to OGG, figure over 100 all in. Your rental car may cost less, even with the GW's fees, plus you'd be able to go somewhere besides the resort for food much more easily!!

Edited: 22 May 2011, 20:06
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,004 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Grand Wailea the best waterpark/pool extravaganza?

I would stick with 2 nights, get a car and visit Costco before you hit the condo in Napili.