We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any feedback on the Honua Kai Resort & Spa?

new jersey
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
any feedback on the Honua Kai Resort & Spa?

my wife and i were looking to stay here for a week in june, anybody stay here and if so is there a part of the hotel better/quieter then the others? thanks

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
55,099 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any feedback on the Honua Kai Resort & Spa?

Aloha,

You might want to read this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k449814…

and also do a search for other threads about HK. There are lots!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,408 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any feedback on the Honua Kai Resort & Spa?

You may also want to look at the reviews.

http://tinyurl.com/3czuy8e

California
Level Contributor
68 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any feedback on the Honua Kai Resort & Spa?

As SW Market suggested, there are many reviews available on Trip Advisor for the Honua Kai Resort -- in the short time that it has been fully open (since Jan 2010), this resort has quickly climbed to be the #1 rated resort in West Maui on Trip Advisor.

I'm biased as we bought a 2bd/2ba unit there after falling in love with Kaanapali years ago and finding this new resort -- it's the first oceanfront resort in the Kaanapali area to be built in the last 25+ years.... It is a beautiful resort with most of the amenities of the larger hotels but offers the conveniences that a condo provides.

The units themselves are all pretty quiet to answer your question -- I think the construction they used helped with that. There are units with varying views available throughout the resort -- mountain view units and/or units with a South facing view in the Hokulani building (have a view of a dormant construction site for the next/final Westin timeshare tower) are lower-priced -- try to find a unit on VRBO, HomeAway, or Flipkey (Trip Advisor affiliated website).

Also, do not be concerned about some of the recent posts on Trip Advisor that suggest that Honua Kai is a great family resort, but maybe not so great for romantic getaways. After Spring Break subsided, the ratio of adults to kids increased again back to normal levels.

Honua Kai and the Westin Kaanapali Villas are situated in what's referred to as Kaanapali North (north of Blackrock) and are both resorts that are quieter than the main strip south of Blackrock.

You'll have a great time.

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any feedback on the Honua Kai Resort & Spa?

Thanks Hawaiilover12 - for a great update.

Through all my research I really couldn't find and negatives.

Just what I wanted to hear about the noise and kid level - we will be there in November and not around holiday time so the kid level should be pretty low.

Cannot wait to stay at this resort!

California
Level Contributor
6,402 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: any feedback on the Honua Kai Resort & Spa?

Great place!

Laguna Niguel, CA
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: any feedback on the Honua Kai Resort & Spa?

I too am prejudiced about how wonderful Honua Kai is. We own a 3 bedroom ocean front in the Hokulani building (South building) on the ground floor (#101) and it is our dream home when we are there (we rent it when off island). I agree about the kids and families, usually we don't see that many kids except during times when schools are on breaks (spring break, summer and Christmas) which would be true for most of the other resorts in Hawaii as well!

Because it is situated at the end of North Kaanapali beach, it is a quiet, restful area, yet just a walk down the path to the big hotels and restaurants on the other side of black rock (where the Sheraton hotel is.)

If you want to save money, get a mountain view. If you want an ocean view from the lanai only, get an "ocean view" and if you want a true ocean view from most of the unit, get an ocean front unit. These are mostly 3 bedrooms however. I would recommend renting through an outside management company rather than the onsite one, if you stay a week or more you will usually get a better rate. KaanapaliBeachRentals.com is who we use. Using a professional management company will ensure better service and someone nearby to handle any problems if they arise. If you rent through VRBO, etc. directly with an owner, they may not be on island. Just my opinion.

You will have a great time. Make sure you try Dukes, especially for breakfast or lunch!

Edited: 25 May 2011, 02:13
Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
763 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: any feedback on the Honua Kai Resort & Spa?

Views at Honua Kai vary dramatically. You will need to decide what is most important to you, nightly rate vs. view. Your research will reward you either way. Honua Kai stair-steps down from Mauka to Makai so as you are facing HK from the beach, the highest floor in the “back” is 10 and in the “front” can be either 6 or 7 floors high. Higher floors have the best views ( 6th floor and above) and will command higher prices as their lanai are high enough to look over obstructions like Palm and Kiawe trees.

At HK, the condos are arranged in “stacks”. For instance, in the Konea Tower, the condos that are numbered 101, 201, 301, 401, 501, 601 and 701 are all 2BR/2Bath condos, stacked from the first floor to the seventh and are referred to as the X-01 stack in Konea, X representing the floor numbers. All the condos in each “stack” are essentially identical, for instance, every condo in the X-19 stack in Hokulani will be a studio unit.

The very best ocean views are in the three bedroom units on the “ends” of both the Hokulani and Konea buildings. In Hokulani these are the X-01, X-02, X-50 and the X-51 stack. These units are situated closest to the beach, have wraparound lanai and a char-grill. In Konea these units are located in the X-02, X-50 and the X-51 stacks.

On the SOUTH side of Hokulani there is a suspended construction project that may not be the most pleasant for some to be looking at; however, until the construction continues, upper floor units DO have ocean and mountain views, you may be able to snag a good price for these.

All the condos facing SOUTH will enjoy evening sunsets; however, the lanai is in direct sun most of the day which can be somewhat hot.

The condos facing NORTH enjoy sunrises and are shaded throughout the day and are much cooler while you are out on your lanai. North facing condos will allow you to keep the Nano doors walls open to enjoy the trades. At HK the energy management system prevents the AC from turning on when the Nano door walls are open.

The condos all along the back side of Hokulani X-22 stack to X-34 stack are strictly mountain/parking lot views and will be the lowest priced. Konea X-12 stack to X- 32 stack are also strictly mountain/parking lot views.

Studio Condos are all located on the “interior courtyard” and feature ocean views but no mountain views. These will be located in the X-19, X-23, X 33 and the X-37 stacks in Hokulani. In Konea they will be located in the X-15, X-21, X- 31 and the X-37 stacks.

Some of the one BR condos have ocean views from the lanai and the bedroom, these are located in the X-13, X-18, X-38 stacks in Hokulani. The X-13 is interior courtyard, the X-38 overlooks the grassy area between Hokulani and Konea and the X-18 stack overlooks the construction.

In Konea, the following 1 BR condos also have ocean views from the lanai and bedroom; however, these condos also overlook a parking lot: X-36, X-44 and X-46 stacks.

Two BR condos on the interior courtyard of both Hokulani and Konea have very good ocean views. There are a few standouts with wraparound lanai: in Hokulani: the X-15, X-09 and X-41. In Konea these are X-13 and the X-39 stacks. The Konea X-01 stack is on the end of the building with a lanai that has direct facing full ocean views similar to the very best 3BR/3BA condos.

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
587 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: any feedback on the Honua Kai Resort & Spa?

This is great information!

9. Re: any feedback on the Honua Kai Resort & Spa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2012, 06:19