We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the south side of RTH dangerous?

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Is the south side of RTH dangerous?

I read on this board that if you continue west on the road to hana past lindburghs grave, the road gets more difficult and flash floods have in the past swept cars in this area right off into the ocean.

I am planning on doing this road tomorrow. How can i keep tabs on the weather to make sure flash floods arent likely for tomorrow?

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the south side of RTH dangerous?

"Is the south side of RTH dangerous?"

Yes.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the south side of RTH dangerous?

The road gets narrow and for long stretches is just dirt road. When it rains, the road can wash out. Additionally, most rental car contracts prevent you from driving here, since the roads are unimproved. Maps say the same about the road above Kapalua, but that is all paved, so it's a bigger question mark. In any case, it's pretty clear that the road down here is outside your contract and if there are problems, you're not covered, even if you buy extra insurance.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,543 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the south side of RTH dangerous?

Before you leave, check: http://www.mauicounty.gov/index.aspx?NID=643

Also, as grandeau mentions, you may be violating your car rental contract, so a call to them is a good idea.

If you do decide to proceed, at Oheo Gulch inquire at the visitor's centre as they will have current weather info.

There are a couple of spots on the road where signs are posted advising not to drive through flooded sections of the road.

bedford
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the south side of RTH dangerous?

so if we don't go south what are we missing.

To get to the p black snad beach do most people go from south maui.

I know there are lots of opinions on the board but my plan was also to rive the whole thing in october. If we didn't then how far can you go before hitting the dangerous spots. Then you turn around and go back the exact same way?

Then to see some of the other road coming from the south. How far can you go before dangerous spots.

In otherwords north to south until dangerous area. Then south until dangerous. Two different days maybe o different routes

Is there a map or link that shows this type of route.

bedford
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the south side of RTH dangerous?

clubmoo --- I would love to hear feedback after you do the trip!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,543 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the south side of RTH dangerous?

bgsnmky,

If you only want to do part of the south road, Tedeschi Vineyards is probably a good place to turn around. http://www.mauiwine.com/

Here's a map which shows where the few miles of unpaved road are ... see the dotted line at Kaupo on the south shore. It's smooth unpaved: www.aaccessmaps.com/show/map/us/hi/maui

For a description of the drive along the south road all the way to Lindbergh's Grave (1 mile before Oheo Gulch): http://www.mauistables.com/directions.html

Re dangerous ... (1) there are a few narrow sections and curves where you'll have to watch for oncoming traffic. We didn't find it any worse than the section between Hana and Oheo Gulch re narrowness/blind corners, but lots more traffic between Hana & OG.

(2) if the road is flooded, you'll see it ahead of time, and you'll have a good view from the road of the run off streams (they were dry when we went) ... if there is water rushing down these streams, you'll see it. Pretty sure we only saw two where we thought IF there was a lot of water coming down it would be something to see, but there may have been more and we missed seeing them because it was dry that day (it had been raining for a few days prior though,so we were surprised that there wasn't any water coming down....although I'm sure that can change pretty quickly!)

(3) not dangerous ... but bumpy asphalt for about 10 mile... looked like years of putting shovelfuls of asphalt on the road to fix holes, until all you have is a completely lumpy road ... interestingly, no potholes, so they do keep up with the patching job! (This is just before the unpaved section if I recall correctly)

For the most part, very good roads and not nearly the number of curves that there are on the RTH ... in fact, a lot of straight sections ... such as this: photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=7310044

If you are going to do it in two parts on different days, for the north route, take RTH as far as Oheo Gulch, or you could go one mile past to Lindbergh's Grave.

Edited: 27 May 2011, 14:56
La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the south side of RTH dangerous?

yeah a stretch of the road is like driving on a washboard. I didn't find the road around the south difficult or dangerous at all. Of course as has been mentioned some rental cars won't be covered but I think that has to do mainly with the fact it would take so long to come get you should you break down or run out of gas.

The main advantage I thought, to going around was not having to drive the same route as you took coming in. It's been 6 or 8 years we might do the RTH again this time and I'd have to think about this. I'll say this, though it was different, the southern route is very long and, to me, boring. A lot of lava, no trees, not much going on. :)

Dave

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,543 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the south side of RTH dangerous?

Dave,

did you come back on the south side? We did it in the opposite direction, i.e. started on the south side, finished on the RTH (although the guidebook advises doing RTH first). I thought the south side of Haleakala was spectacular, but did find the return on the RTH a tedious drive ... probably because it's a long day and by that time, you'd like to be finished driving and back enjoying a swim or relaxing with a drink.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,793 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the south side of RTH dangerous?

Once again I must let you know going past Kipahulu is prohibited all major rental car company agreements. The southern route around Haleakala is a very isolated, desolate area. Any part of the Hana Hwy could be dangerous during a flash flood incident. This part of the highway particularly so. Flash flood means just that, flash. No way of telling whether you will get caught in one as one minute weather could be wonderful, the next, you are getting swept off the cliff into the ocean.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,491 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the south side of RTH dangerous?

Maybe things changed since we were in Maui, but our car rental said that section was totally okay to drive, so we did. I loved it - it was so different! :)