We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving

Stuart, Florida
Level Contributor
91 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Diving

Looking for recommendations for the best dive spots and operators. From a boat, no shore diving. Also, is molokini a must? Will only dive one day. We will be staying in Kihea. Thanks.

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving

Molokini isn't necessarily a must, but odds are good that it's practically unavoidable if you're using a boat operator. It seems most operators do at least thier first dive of the day there.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,337 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving

Frankly I'm turned off diving in Maui. Many's the time I've signed up to go dive at Molokini, being enticed by the deep side, weather premitting, but no refunds. And of course that day the weather was not permitting. So you get to go in the crater with 2 dozen snorkel boats. This many years in a row until I wised up. So you get to pay a lot, you get to roust yourself out of bed before dawn, you get to tolerate COLD (74) water, then you get to go deep snorkeling in Molokini. I've dived at turtle sites where I could have better snorkeled. I've shore dived and gotten out maybe to 30 feet. I've gone over to Lanai and ended up shallow in a junk filled harbor. I've had it. For ONE THIRD the price I can dive in warm water many places in the caribbean and see a lot more. So much for my rant. On the positive side, Molokini is exceptionally clear and there are some beautiful creatures to see. Several shops run dives from the Kihei boat ramp, so you wouldn't have far to go. In my opinion, though, your time and money would be better spent snorkeling, since Maui does offer exceptional snorkeling at lots of sites.

Stuart, Florida
Level Contributor
91 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving

Thanks. I was actually wondering if the diving was worth it with such great snorkeling available. I'm also not a fan of COLD water.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,839 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving

You could dive Lanai from Maalea

mauidiveshop.com/Maui-Dive-Trips/2-tank-lana…

Hawaii water is never so warm as Caribbean or as Florida in summer.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving

Although I got PADI certified on Maui years ago, I have to go along and say Maui has good diving areas but not great, especially if you've already done caribbean diving. The best dive I've done is Cathedrals off Lana'i and I went with Lahaina Divers

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,146 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diving

My husband just spent 2 weeks diving in Maui. He never got cold. He wore a shorty wetsuit and did fine. He did mostly shore diving because it is so cheap and since it is shallow diving he usually can stay down for about a hour or so. He has seen some great stuff while diving there. This past trip he saw white tip reef shark, trumpet fish, turtles, dolphins, parrot fish. The list goes on and on.

He said the diving there is much warmer then diving in the cold water wreck diving off the coast of South Carolina or Connecticut. ") He has dove in Florida also and said Maui is just as nice.

He has done the the back wall on 4 different dives and liked it also. This past trip he dove the cathedrals and enjoyed that. He is a big fan of Ed Robinson. They do a great job and they take a small group on there dives.

Edited: 30 May 2011, 22:55
7. Re: Diving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2012, 05:29