We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much money do you spend a day on maui?

Britni3127
Level Contributor
40 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
How much money do you spend a day on maui?

I will be there 7 full days. We plan on eating out for lunch and dinners (breakfast will be continental at hotel). We arent on a budget or anything and plan on eating at nice places for dinner..I just dont know what else to save for this last month before we go!! what other things will "come" up that cost money? How much did you average per day? Thanks for the help!!! Im trying not to put any of this on credit cards so I want to be preapred what to have.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
48,060 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much money do you spend a day on maui?

Aloha,

Britni, this is a "YMMV" question. When you say "nice places", that can easily mean 60 to 80 PP. Or, you can step down a notch, and cover it at 40 or so each.........or farther down and do it for 20 or so each!

You can also drop a LOT of money on excursions. With 7 days, I'd pick perhaps 2 paid excursions. A snorkel trip, a luau, a helicopter ride, a zipline, a horseback ride.......who knows-but don't get sucked into the "go to do this!!!" sales mentality you will encounter. You can enjoy Maui far more if you don't go home broke, honest.

If you haven't already, start reading some of the threads about restaurants, it will help. You can get a better feel for what's here and what you might really, really want to spend money on versus just having a horribly high priced meal and regretting it later!!!

lob
New York
Level Contributor
818 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much money do you spend a day on maui?

I have no idea- I'm in the same boat as you are. We plan on eating out lunch and dinner and picking up some supplies for our hotel room- beer, wine, water, fruit maybe and other snacks. I am thinking $200/day but we will probably have drinks with lunch and happy hour :)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much money do you spend a day on maui?

The drinks (alcohol) can really put a dent in the budget. Shopping for souvenirs -- or just good 'ol fun shopping can add up. (Anybody's birthday coming up? Christmas?) Gas, of course.

The excursions, I generally plan and pay for in advance -- so they aren't in the day-to-day budget - things like luau and catamarans are pretty pricey. Dinners - it all depends on you! Restaurants range from the ridiculous (Mama's) to pretty cheap. And the more casual, economical approach -- that's tasty as well! Food budget - for two I would AVERAGE $100 a day, perhaps a little more.

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
746 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much money do you spend a day on maui?

You can eat out at nice happy hours and save a ton and not feel cheated at all. That is what we did. Usually had leftovers for later in the night to take back to the room.

texas
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much money do you spend a day on maui?

too much!! i didn't realize how much we were spending until this trip. LOL. i think it also depends on where you stay. we were at 4s so it was at least 100 by the pool for drinks and lunch every day and then 200 for dinner every night. ridiculous! if our breakfast wasn't included in the pkg, we'd be out another 100 every day!

i have heartburn just adding it all up. lol

Cerritos, California
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How much money do you spend a day on maui?

britni,

it depends on your lifetyle, i would say $100/day at the most on food for the day if u wanna live comfortably. so far, today, we spent $40 on brunch. most likely dinner will cost the same and drinks and snacks will be that other $20 difference. but then again, we usually we only eat 2 full course meals a day with the small appetites that we have

oh, dont forget about gas

Edited: 29 May 2011, 23:33
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much money do you spend a day on maui?

If my kids are with me? Alot!

$100-200 day is probably about right... Excursions can add up really quickly. Alot of great eating establishments have great happy hours so check those out in the search feature....that can save you some $$, plus if you 're like me, eating out all the time gets a little old... especially if you're sportin' a swimsuit :)

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much money do you spend a day on maui?

Following up on the excursions, I dropped $600 our first morning at Snorkel Bob's. 12 days worth of gear and 4 luau tickets. Hadn't even had breakfast yet!

United States
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much money do you spend a day on maui?

The two of us also average $100 per day for food and drinks. That consists of lunch and dinner out and an average of a drink each per day at regular price-around $8-10. If you can hit happy hour instead at some places you may be able to get two drinks for the price of one...

I agree w/ SW. 2 paid excursions/luau at max. 3 big activities, max IMHO (i.e. RTH doesn't cost a whole lot, just a tank of gas and snacks...).

These are the restaurants we typically eat at: tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i24615-Maui_Hap…

Edited: 30 May 2011, 03:52
United States
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much money do you spend a day on maui?

Also, agree with BLBL--pay for your excursions in advance. This gives you time to research without being emotionally targeted by a salesman, like Mauifan!