We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bike to Maui

oklahoma city
Level Contributor
1,369 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bike to Maui

So who has actually taken your own bike to Maui, or for that matter any of the other islands? Did you take it on the airplane as checked baggage, if so how much extra did it cost? Any issues with the size of the carrier? I have visions of being told by Hawaiian Air that my bike carrier won't fit on their "miniature MD-80" they use for inter-island flights. Was it worth it as compared to just a rental? Thanks for any info

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,602 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bike to Maui

I just googled: bike rental Maui

Came up with this site:

http://westmauicycles.com/

They seem to have a lot of choices.

westmauicycles.com/Maui-bicycle-rental-shop.…

There are several other "hits" from the Google search.

Evidently you have a much better bike than the $80-$100 WalMart bikes. But depending what you want the bike for, this would be an option. You could donate the bike(s) before you leave.

This would not be an option for downhill on Haleakala as you would need a much better bike with really good brakes.

But just for some cruising? Maybe!

I have no idea what it would cost you to ship a bike to Maui & back to Oklahoma.

Decatur, GA
Level Contributor
249 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bike to Maui

I have a friend of mine who is an advanced cyclist and travels a lot for work . he will ship his bike UPS.

brampton, ontario
Level Contributor
234 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bike to Maui

Ya know, when I read the title, the first thought that came to my mind was....wow! bikes can ride over the ocean!! LOL

all kidding aside, my kids rented mountain bikes from BossFrog in Kihei and the price included a security lock and car rack mount

Socal
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bike to Maui

I've (briefly) considered taking my road bike with me for our two week trip. However the airlines charge you mightly for that.. in our instance, Delta is about $200 each way.

Other issues to keep in mind: you'll need a decent case to protect your gear. Unless you are a good wrench, you'll have to take it to the LBS to break down the bike and pack it, take it to a shop on Maui for re-build when you get there and then reverse the entire process.....all for a price. Frankly, it's not worth it to me (and I ride 3000 miles a year)

There are several places to rent good bikes on the Island and that is what I'm doing. I'll bring my pedals, shoes and a saddle and be good to go. Above all, unless you are on the island for many weeks, how many rides are you gonna do anyway? :)

oklahoma city
Level Contributor
1,369 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bike to Maui

Yea I have rented before several times and it's okay just no rental bike is like my own. I have access to a case that doesn't require breaking down the bike just taking off the front wheel. Thats not an issue.

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,178 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bike to Maui

have you thought about calling hawaiian airlines and asking

t91
nohe
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bike to Maui

Wonder if it's more than a surfboard.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bike to Maui

Every airline has their own rules and rates regarding sports equipment charges. and it can be different if you are travelling first class.

Phone them and compare.

Interisland would be Mokulele and Hawaiian Air.

I have checked in and watched them not charge travellers for surf boards and monster golf clubs and then charge me $50 for a 2foot by 2 foot by 6" cardboard art box.

I wish the airlines would weigh me with my luggage. And give me a credit for weighing under 100 lbs.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bike to Maui

As JM said above, all carriers are different. Currently Delta is charging $200 each way for all sports equipment. Other airlines are about $100. But, go figure, golf clubs are free! If I could fit my bike and surfboard in a golf bag, I'd be in heaven!

I've also been a lucky recipient of karma, having paid fees for my gear from LAX-OGG but getting friendly aloha from island carrier agents who shook their heads and refused to charge for my board. Just dumb luck sometimes.

As I wrote in a different thread, this will be the first time in many trips that I will leave my board at home and rent...no way am I paying $400. And same with my bike.

South Pole
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bike to Maui

So what are the good places to rent a road bike in Maui? Day, week etc.

Cannot leave that volcano alone...