We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book Old Lahaina Luau and Trilogy Discover Lanai Sunset Sail

lob
New York
Level Contributor
954 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Book Old Lahaina Luau and Trilogy Discover Lanai Sunset Sail

We are heading to Maui in August and after reading this board, we have chosen to do the Old Lahaina Luau and Trilogy Discover Lanai Sunset Sail. We are also considering the sunrise bike tour but I'm not thrilled about digging out warm clothes to pack for our trip to Hawaii!! Just how cold does it get up there in August?? Is a sweatshirt enough or do we need long pants and ski jackets??

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
61,898 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Book Old Lahaina Luau and Trilogy Discover Lanai Sunset Sail

Aloha,

You must wear long pants on the bike tour--no choice. Frankly, I'd skip it. It's not near what marketing efforts make it out to be anymore. You are not allowed to ride within the Park, and you would be riding either on the very narrow shoulder of the highway, or in some places, in the traffic lane. It can be very dangerous.

Most of all-it's expensive, and you end up spending several hundred bucks for something you can do with your rental car for much less--and enjoy more! If you drive yourselves, you pay 10.00 admission at the Park entrance, and the receipt is good for 3 days to either the Haleakala side of the Park and/or the Kipahulu side (just past Hana. You can stay as long as you want, hike as much or little as you want, then go explore Upcountry, all on your own schedule and in the car you're already paying for.

In August, it will be around 45 at sunrise---but the wind can be a KILLER. SO pack a sweatshirt or hoodie, and yes, I'd still have long pants.

lob
New York
Level Contributor
954 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book Old Lahaina Luau and Trilogy Discover Lanai Sunset Sail

thank you- that's very helpful :)

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
61,898 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Book Old Lahaina Luau and Trilogy Discover Lanai Sunset Sail

Aloha,

You're welcome! Have a great trip!

Birmingham,al.
Level Contributor
226 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Book Old Lahaina Luau and Trilogy Discover Lanai Sunset Sail

I agree with SWM. we did the bike ride and would not do it again.

The other events, on the other hand, are wonderful. You will have a great time with Trilogy and the luau is a lot of fun.

we are coming back in September and are going to ride the ferry over to lanai and rent a jeep for the day. We are going to explore the island and find some new spots to snorkel.

You are going to love Maui: have a great trip

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Book Old Lahaina Luau and Trilogy Discover Lanai Sunset Sail

Yes, the bike ride down Haleakala ... bit of a tourist trap. Cold, wet ... and you can't look around and gawk at the scenery - a deal breaker for me!

6. Re: Book Old Lahaina Luau and Trilogy Discover Lanai Sunset Sail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 20:16