We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oct. or Feb.?

Kendallville...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Oct. or Feb.?

My wife and I want to do 2 islands in Hawaii. Still working on the 2 we want. But my major struggle is when to go. Feb. would have whales but I've heard horror stories about alot of rain then. I figure if I'm gonna do 11 days and it's our first time maybe we should do the first 2 weeks in Oct....better weather for my $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Any thoughts on this would really help us. Thanks!! Dave

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,058 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oct. or Feb.?

Well we go every year in Feb to watch the whales and to get out of our winter blahs here. We have had rain on occasion but have never had a trip ruined because of it. We did miss the bad rains this last Feb...they do happen.

Oct. should be dryer and it is always a cheaper time to travel. Less visitors mean lower prices for lodging. First 2 weeks in Oct should be lovely but could still be pretty hot.

Either way you'll love it!

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
742 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oct. or Feb.?

Oct is a good time for a first trip. It will be so much cheaper! Deals on rooms for Feb wont pop up till last min. We've gone the last few years in Oct or Nov, and love that time of year. If you're there in the beginning of Oct (or any other time), make sure you have AC if that's an issue for you. It will be hot.

The whales is a great experience. I went in Feb to the BI for my first whale season trip and I'm trying to get to Maui this year. The only problem is the extra cost. The same trip for my family in Feb is $1000 more than in Oct.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,939 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oct. or Feb.?

LOL! You live in Indiana - and you are concerned about the weather in Hawaii in February. Hmmm... Even if it is rainy - it is warm. If you want rain forests and rainbows, you gotta have rain.

Count your nights, not your days. It looks like you have time for two islands. Maui would be a good choice, especially for first-timers. Also in February - Oahu/Honolulu and the Big Island are good choices. Kauai, being the northernmost island - doesn't sounds like a good choice for you.

October is HOT and dry -- but I like February better! Below are the average temps and rainfall totals for Lahaina on Maui (a good general location) and Honolulu.

weather.com/outlook/…USHI0055

weather.com/outlook/…USHI0026

Kendallville...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oct. or Feb.?

Yeah I am concerned! I'm going to spend $$$$$$$$ and I don't want Indiana weather there!!!!

Edited: 12 June 2011, 20:02
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,939 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oct. or Feb.?

Please take a look at the two charts I gave you the links for. There is no chance of Indiana weather in February in Hawaii ... unless you were atop Mauna Kea or Mauna Loa. You may want to do more reading about Hawaii before moving ahead.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,015 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oct. or Feb.?

http://www.hawaiigaga.com/WeatherGuide.aspx

February is a wonderful time to visit Hawaii. As the above link will demonstrate...the weather will vary depending on your location on each Island not only the time of your visit.

We enjoy nothing better than a Feb visit ..For lovely weather, clear blue skies, little if any rain and close proximity to best beaches....the South Kohala region on the Big Island ticks all the boxes.

There is a reason that Feb sees increased occupancy rates and somewhat higher pricing. it is a desirable time to visit. If the weather was dreadful then.... it would not be a popular destination.

People visit in Feb not only to see the whales, but to escape their Hometown winter weather , as well as enjoy the beautiful Hawaiian climate.

Kendallville...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Oct. or Feb.?

Thank you all for the input so far. Love to you all! Dave

Edited: 12 June 2011, 20:43
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,283 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Oct. or Feb.?

Aloha Dave,

We've been going to Hawaii in February for 30+ years -- the last ten to Maui. There have been a few days that I started the morning in our condo wearing light sweat pants -- back to shorts by nine a.m. Also, there has never been a year that I didn't use our A/C at least once.

See if you can fly non-stop out of ORD to HNL on a good aircraft (767 or 330). Then you hop to Maui (OGG) on Hawaiian Airlines. Return is the reverse. I don't advise flying to a west coast city and then on to Hawaii. It's a longer travel day and many times you are on 757's -- uncomfortable seating. The alternative would be AA from ORD to DFW then on to OGG on a good aircraft (767).

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,646 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oct. or Feb.?

Have been in Oct. a couple of times without a problem, has been very fun, and my guess not as crowded. We love Maui and Kauai, good luck and have fun. Hubie

Seattle
Level Contributor
361 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oct. or Feb.?

I'll reiterate and expand on what others have said - February is the time for me, because while there is an increased chance of some showers, it is a WARM RAIN. Just as importantly, the rain is often localized, so if you drive 10 or 15 minutes, you're in the clear.

Here's the thing - part of the reason you're traveling to Hawaii is to get away from the weather in Indiana. When are you going to get a bigger difference between the two? I grew up in Pittsburgh and can tell you that Indian Summer often lasts into the middle of October. I now live in Seattle and view my February trip as a necessary injection of sunshine to get through the ceaseless gloomy days here.