We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live Trip Report (7/7-7/11)

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
870 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Live Trip Report (7/7-7/11)

I'm going to try a live trip report. I like to have trip reports as historical record of vacations. I thought I'd share it here in case it amuses/informs/offends.

Me, wife and 2yo came from LAX direct on AA. Provided blankets. Hadn't seen that in years. Uneventful flight. Kid did well, the CARES restraint is worth every penny. Not from the safety angle, but the fact he is ratcheted down and can't fidget with the belt. Got the car at Alamo, daily rate of ~$8 for an intermediate through Costco. I was first waiting in line at Alamo, and it still took ten minutes. My checkout was less than two. I got a Ford Focus hatchback, fully loaded, plays music from my iPhone through Bluetooth. 44MPG from OGG to resort. It's very small inside, if any adult was in the back they'd be squished.

Got to Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort @ 9PM. Staying on SPG points, 48K for five nights. Got the fifth night free so that I wouldn't have to check out at 10AM. Got a parking lot view, but it is a "Premium" corner room that has a sizable lanai (required for when we put the baby down for nap, we can go outside and drink Wailua Wheats).

First morning I asked about forgoing housekeeping, which I thought got $5 SPG cards, but it turns out you get a free buffet coupon. So we're just going without for our three (four) days here. Two free breakfasts for all of us. I hate housekeeping, it makes me feel so lazy. Resort is gorgeous, there's some charity event going on with a bounce house...kid will love that. Off to Honokowai for the Farmer's Market (if there). Will check out the beaches up north and come back for the pool here, then Lahaina after nap.

More to come, time permitting. Feel free to ask questions.

The only question I have..anyone know of any happy hour drink specials at the resort?

Thanks!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
51,359 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Live Trip Report (7/7-7/11)

Aloha,

Hey, good to hear from you! I hope you have a wonderful time.

I don't know of HH there-but Duke's is great over at Honua Kai.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Live Trip Report (7/7-7/11)

Good times so far, after the walk around the resort, we went up to Honokowai. Didn't realize it was so close. Started at the Farmer's Market/Store, which I was very impressed by. Although I would have preferred if the "Farmer's Market" outside didn't have imported produce. The store inside was amazing. I wish I wasn't doing this trip on a budget. So many specialty products I couldn't even see it all (chasing the toddler). It's like Whole Foods without the pretension The playground across the street was fun, my son had a great time climbing and running and sliding. Afterwards we hit Napili Beach (Bay?) on the suggestion of a co-worker. Had to cycle back once to find a parking spot, but it wasn't too hard. Nice and pretty, but pretty heavy wave action (for a toddler at least). Snorkelers, swimmers were out there but it was mostly boogie boarders. On the way back stopped at Times Market for some beer and poke plus other staples. Then since the kid was hungry, stopped at Honokowai Okazuya Deli.

$11 panko-crusted Mahi sandwich easily stuffed two adults. Excellent food, huge portions. Baby had a musubi from ABC store. The train is right across the street, and my son is OBSESSED with trains and train crossings.

But $45 for two adults? Really? Also it looks like it lets out at a location that's quite a walk from Lahaina proper.

Wife and baby are down for a nap. I'm brewing some iced tea out on the lanai, with a cold beer, icy water, and capping off my lunch with a fresh starfruit and lilikoi. Goooood times. Nice weather too, but holy crap it's windy here. Wifi/wired internet is decent too.

New question, any shave ice recommendations in Lahaina?

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
51,359 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Live Trip Report (7/7-7/11)

Aloha,

Yep, the winds have done their afternoon thing and picked up again. They're slated to drop almost totally by tomorrow last I heard.

Re the train.....you are correct-the depot is not at all "in town". It's on the outer edge and across the highway. If ya' gotta do it-look in the brochures/glossies for coupons, and consider only having one of you take it with your kid, and one way only. The other can drive down and meet you at the depot, then you can go into town/Front St. much easier and not worry about the train back.

Shave ice, everybody loves Ululani's:

http://ululanisshaveice.com/contact/

los angeles
Level Contributor
1,859 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Live Trip Report (7/7-7/11)

I am here now and I just got a maitai at happy hour for 4 dollars at the ocean bar and grill happy hour is from 4 to 6. Not a bad price considering Maui. We bbqd tonite so had to have a bevvie since we were out. Enjoy your stay we've been here since the 30th. We leave on Sunday.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Live Trip Report (7/7-7/11)

Enjoying your TR so far. Can't wait to read the next instalment!

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Live Trip Report (7/7-7/11)

Tired. I hadn't intended to do so much. Played for 2.5 hrs in the pirate pool. The wife and I traded off, one read, one played in the water. Took a while but he finally did the slide with his mom. Lot of fun. Afterwards we saw the bar happy hour posted. $4 maitais, $7 specialty cocktails. Shared a maitai, pretty good, but a typical mix/fruity thing. I've gotten hooked on the authentic ones where the only fruit juice is lime.

Cleaned up and took the shuttle to Lahaina. Had dinner at Aloha Mixed Plate, what an awesome place. Very friendly service, crazy low prices, great food although the Mac salad was crazy rich.

Followed that up with Ulualani's. Best shave ice ever, overall. The cut beats Wishing Well in Hanalei, syrup beats Masa's homemade Lilikoi in Lihu'e. Lychee was missing a little pop. Also got pickled mango, which was an awesome counterbalance. Haupia bottom tied together nicely. The Mac nut on my wife's was meh. They wouldn't sell it to me until I sampled it. Didnt believe the haole could handle it I guess ;-) I like how they do business there. Super friendly without being fake. Took the shuttle home, laughed at the prices in the resort store. On the elevator ride, talked with a family bringing a plate of grilled meats up to their room. Asked what the fish was, they said Walu. Door opened as they told us, so real quickly we said "watch your portion size, check out wikipedia". Early bed tonight. Spearfish lesson tomorrow.

Random observation...this is my first time on Maui, I've been to the other big three, and there's one phenomenon here I've never seen on the others...roving groups of unsupervised teenagers. Is that a Maui thing? Or perhaps a tournament/convention is in town.

Rose, if you see a nerdy white guy in a US soccer hat, say hi.

Level Contributor
35,266 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Live Trip Report (7/7-7/11)

I enjoyed reading about your time in Maui! I loved that mac salad at Aloha Mixed Plate, I"m glad you enjoyed your meal there. Ululani's shave ice is the best on the island, we had one at the loaction by the airport before we flew out, also. Aloha and keep the reports coming! :)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Live Trip Report (7/7-7/11)

Enjoying your reports! Had to look up the Walu comment.....funny, I wonder if they looked it up before consumption ;-)

I have never seen roving groups of unsupervised teenagers while on Maui but I have never stayed on the West side only visited by day....maybe others can answer that one.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,285 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Live Trip Report (7/7-7/11)

Loving your trip report! Thank you for taking the time to write it while you are there. Feels like we are right there with you!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
22,833 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Live Trip Report (7/7-7/11)

Aloha,

Mahalo for your time.