We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

live trip report part I

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,823 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
live trip report part I

Travelers are myself and DH -- 30s/40s -- 4th trip to Maui together. Flew bhm-atl-lax-ogg on Friday -- thought we might catch William and Kate but no such luck. Delta 757s were cramped but on time and so we were mostly happy -- one interesting episode on the lax to ogg portion -- I put my seat back and the woman behind me shoved her knees into the back of my seat and complained loudly that her "knees were turning blue." She pushed my seat back up. I put it back again. She pushed it back up again. Just weird. I mean, we all have the same amt of room ... I resisted the urge to pop off a tacky comment or call the flight attendant ... But really!

Landed 30 min early. Picked up car at alamo (standard Chevy Malibu, 10 days, $200, booked day before we left with costco -- $60 better than our previous price so don't stop checking! Drove up to Kula (staying at a friend's home) and went to bed! Long day!

Saturday: breakfast at Kihei Cafe. Good, HUGE portions -- definitely could have shared a plate! Went to the swap meet and picked up a lot of produce -- one thing to note -- the swap meet seemed pricey, but it is a lot less expensive than the grocery, so buy your produce there! Spent a couple of hours at Makena and then Kam II but weather was a bit showery and breezy so we gave up on the beach, went to Costco and then back up to Kula. Grilled Opah from Costco, plus veggies from the market. Enjoyed and talked about how much the same meal wouldve cost at Mama's ;)

Sunday: off to West Maui in search of sun. We parked at the beach next to the Westin Villas and decided we wanted to go to Calvary Chapel at Wahikuli Park and that we would walk -- a little further than we thought -- 3 miles one way in slippers gets a bit uncomfortable! Service was nice, though. Walked all the way back to the car, enjoyed a picnic lunch, and played in the water, although the beach there is better suited for snorkeling than swimming. Tried to book the Teralani sunset sail, but it was full -- ended up on Gemini. No way for us to compare, and I know Teralani gets great reviews, but the crew of Gemini was fabulous, the sail was beautiful, food and drink were plentiful and tasty and we only had about 30 people on the boat ... Teralani had at least 50 if not more -- so we were glad to have the smaller crowd. We saw the sunset and the Sheraton torchlighting from the boat before heading back to shore. Nos it's back to Kula and bed -- we are TIRED!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,795 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: live trip report part I

6 miles in slippahs, priceless!

United States
Level Contributor
2,870 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: live trip report part I

That gal, huh?!

Thx tr!

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: live trip report part I

I wonder how many instances of "air rage" are caused by reclining seats. I wish they didn't recline at all, there is barely room to breath as it is.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
239 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: live trip report part I

Sounds like fun konagirl! Glad "blue knees" didn't ruin your day :-)

Can't wait to see what's in store for this week! Have fun!

Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: live trip report part I

My husband does the same thing when someone reclines their seat onto his knees. He's 6'1" and has long legs and there's not enough room for him to begin with. I don't recline my seat period out of respect for those sitting in back of me. I too wish the seats would not go back unless the airlines would give us more leg room.

Sounds like a great trip so far. Hope you gets lots of beach time.

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: live trip report part I

Six miles!! All I can say is OUCH! Thanks for your report, looking forward to more. Have a great time.

Level Contributor
37,159 posts
954 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: live trip report part I

Sounds wonderful, thank you for sharing your time on Maui with us! We were there last month and loved island living! :)

Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,840 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: live trip report part I

Love your spur of the moment decisions. The perfect way to enjoy a lazy vacation in Maui!! Can't wait to hear more.

Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
63,325 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: live trip report part I

Except for MsBlueKnees, a great start!

Glad you enjoyed Gemini--they are my fav.

Have fun and keep us up to date, okay?

Level Contributor
21,945 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: live trip report part I

Nice, nice, nice. I'm sure you prayed for your fellow traveler; she evidently needs some divine interventiion.