We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report...so far.

seattle
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report...so far.

Life is good. I love Maui. I love spending time with my kids (15, 9 & 7). Biggest decision of the day is what beach. Monday we went to a beach in South Kihei (thought it was Uula..but it wasn't, started with a K). We liked the beach..snorkeling was just ok (probably did not go far enough out). Kids played for hours in the water.

After that, we went to Makena Landing..where my oldest stepped on a Sea Urchin (on accident - a little windy/wavey there). So that ended the day. We went and got all of the kids water shoes and Benadryl.

Today, we went to Uula. I love this beach! Kids finally saw colorful fish, played in the waves...pure joy. However, Uula is very crowed...but still great.

Drove to Makena Beach afterward - to show them the area and get an AMAZING fish taco from the Jaws Truck. yum yum!

Picnic lunches every day. Favorite dinner so far was the burgers we grilled at the condo on the first night, while we watched the sunset. Life is good!

And, we had breakfast at Kihe Caffe yesterday. yum yum yum! just as good as it was 3 years ago. Will definitely go there again before we leave.

Tomorrow....I think we may head to West Maui. Best Beach to go to with the kids? Also, best breakfast in West Maui?

Thanks!

Off to make a cocktail, BBQ steaks and watch the sunset. :-)

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,210 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report...so far.

Sounds like fun family time! Where are you staying?

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,845 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report...so far.

Aloha,

Next time you head to the store pick up some of those frozen Teriyaki burgers, already formed and everything.

Grill them for the kids, they will love it.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report...so far.

"Off to make a cocktail, BBQ steaks and watch the sunset. :-)"

Enjoy......I am closing my eyes and dreaming of being there too!

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report...so far.

Best beach for kids in West Maui: a toss up between Kapalua and Napili which are right near each other. We don't eat breakfast out but have heard the Gazebo is supposed to be the best. You will wait in a long line however during prime snorkeling time so maybe think about Sea House since it's between the 2 best beaches. It will be busy there but not crowded. Parking for Kapalua is in the entrance to the Napili Kai condo resort. Park in the public parking area. Napili beach parking is just south and a little more difficult to find a spot. Just follow the beach access signs.

Sounds like you were at Keawakapu beach. Ulua and Mokapu beaches are just south of this long stretch of beach and they are all connected. Sounds great except for the sea urchin. Big time ouch. Watch for any signs of infection... Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
United States
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report...so far.

Thanks for the report! Glad you're having a good time. I cannot wait to hear about your breakfast on Napili, whichever you choose.

I also heard Castaway Cafe is good for breakfast. However, as you are visiting the west side might be smarter to park it near the beaches you want to visit.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,853 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report...so far.

Castaway Cafe, oceanfront at the Maui Kaanapali Villas, is great for breakfast. That puts you right next to Kahekili beach park which is wonderful for snorkeling...take a left off of 30 onto Kai Ala drive the beach park is straight ahead and MKV is to the left.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
64,984 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report...so far.

Aloha,

Castaway's and Kahekili would be my choice too.

seattle
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report...so far.

We are staying in North Kihei right on Sugar Beach at Nani Kai Hale. I love the location..great for day trips all over the Island. The condo is perfect.

We stopped in Lahaina today and had breakfast at Longhis - it was just ok.

We got a Cabana from the Sheraton today and hung out at Black Rock for about 4 hours. Fun! Got sunburned..dang! Totally forgot to put on sunsreen today.

Tried to find Castaways for lunch...couldn't. So, we went back to Lahaina for burgers at Cheeseburgers in Paradise. Burgers all the way around and delish! But, in my opinion..a bit on the expensive side. Oh well...it was fun!

Then my first ever Shaved Ice with the kids..at Ulaninais (sp?) . DELISH! So, now I know what the hype it is about. This is no snow cone! The kids that worked there were hilarious!

Good day!

RTH..or part of it tomorrow. We will see. Decisions are made in the morning.

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Black Rock
Black Rock
818 Reviews
Maui, HI
United States
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report...so far.

Cool Cat Cafe has better burgers in Lahaina. Here's a list...

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i24615-Maui_Hap…

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
10. Re: Trip Report...so far.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 07:16