We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkel/snuba at Westin Ka'anapali Villas

bedford
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
snorkel/snuba at Westin Ka'anapali Villas

how is the snorkeling/snuba right from this beach?

Shoreline Snuba is offered there, and we are staying at the villas...so it would make it convenient, but want the snorkeling to be good! Is there lots of coral and sea life? Turtles.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,569 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkel/snuba at Westin Ka'anapali Villas

Some of the best snorkeling is right in that area, not so many turtles however.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,993 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkel/snuba at Westin Ka'anapali Villas

The best snorkeling will be right in front of the Villa's. It's right next to Kahekili Beach Park, which I rate as one of the best places to snorkel on the whole island. Seeing turtles is a hit or miss proposition. Sometimes they are there, sometimes not. You won't see turtles every time you snorkel. I'm not a snuba fan, tourist trappy kind of thing to me. You can save money buy renting snorkel equipment away from the resorts and staying away from the money making schemes.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,405 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkel/snuba at Westin Ka'anapali Villas

I'm no snuba fan either, especially on such a shallow reef. The coral is no more than 15 feet down right to the edge of the reef. So there's not enough depth to justify the cost and bother of renting snuba. Same of course goes for scuba. Most of the reef is 8-15 deep with frequent holes that attract turtles and provide shelter for the fish when the surf is up, which it is most of the time. I'd rate the reef there as one of the best on Maui. But it's not your basic caribbean reef in that there is no soft coral or branching coral or sponges. The reef is basically flat but quite colorful. Lots of colorful fish, unless the surf is really big, but then you wouldn't be snorkeling anyway. During humpback season there is the added thrill of listening to whale songs. The coral starts about in the middle of the public beach, reaches its maximum width in front of the Villas and then fades out to occasional patches as you get to the corner at the Mahana.

Edwardsville...
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkel/snuba at Westin Ka'anapali Villas

I was a first time snorkler there last September and really enjoyed it. The variety and quantity of fish amazed me. The water was fairly calm most days, making it easy to float around. You'll see fish within just a few feet from shore. I never saw a turtle but other people did.

5. Re: snorkel/snuba at Westin Ka'anapali Villas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 02:19