We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report July 14-17

California
Level Contributor
37,635 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report July 14-17

Ugh! I am home!!!!

I have the first part of my trip (July 10-14) on the Lana'i forum. Thursday morning we packed up and took the ferry back to Maui. That was depressing enough to leave that wonderful place. But soon we were happy again and stayed at Maui Kana'apali Villas in a studio owned by a friend of mine. I have stayed here before and loved the location. It certainly isn't as fancy as The 4 Seasons I just left, that's for sure, but the location can't be beat. I especially like the walking path to get me to one of my favorite dining places, Dukes and the fact they have a restaurant and bar on site. No need to drive after too many mai tais (or lilikoi martinis in this case). Just follow the path behind The Westin and there you are if you want to go to Dukes.

The weather was perfect, windy, but no rain until we woke up this morning. Friday we visited friends staying at The Fairmont Kea Lani. Beautiful property. Lunch was at Tommy Bahama. Going to this shopping center was a ploy of mine, because I needed to hit up Sandal Tree and a few other shops (shhh don't tell the hubby that's why I insisted on eating there but I like this place for lunch)

We were pretty much lazy bones for 3 days and I have no regrets! Just lots of pool and beach time and walks to The Sheraton and Dukes at night. Last night was dinner at Merrimans. Wow! DH said it beat Lana'i Grill which that night he said was the best meal he ever ate! Oh you men!!! So fickle. We did have excellent service, the views can't be beat, and I am going to talk one of my 3 kids into having a destination wedding there if it kills me!

Now a few words of warning....

1. Make sure you document EVERY scratch on your car. We rented through Alamo out of the Kanaapali location because they will shuttle you from the ferry. They had no cars so after stealing one from another rental agency and waiting over 45 minutes, we were tired (and depressed from leaving Lanai) and didn't notice a giant dent and marks on the back bumper. I saw it when we took our luggage out, but I figured it was so massive, they knew it was there. Guess what? When we took the car back to the airport lot, they had a fit. "This wasn't marked down and you will have to pay"...blah blah blah!!! I got on the phone with Stephanie in Kanaapali and she assured me she had seen it and would straighten it out.... We shall see, folks! So advice is walk the car and note everything!!!! Alamo in Kauai you don't have to do that anymore. You will see and hear me screaming from CA if I get charged one red cent!

#2. If you are flying and your baby is crying for 4 hours, is there any way you can get up from you seat, walk around and see what the matter is with your 1 year old? My god! I felt for the passengers in 1st class who had to listen to that poor baby girl for the ENTIRE trip. I was close by and it was bad enough for me. Not a fun way to end a fabulous vacation.

You all know my heart belongs to Kauai but Maui is such a close 2nd. Mahalo to SW for her help, DrV on Lana'i and the island for its aloha. I will be back in November!!!!

Edited: 18 July 2011, 07:04
United States
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report July 14-17

Thanks for the report. Was the baby sitting in first class? Yikes! Yes, you'd think walking it around might help. "that gal". =)

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report July 14-17

Jebett, So glad you had such a great trip, welcome back. : )

Just to add to your list:

1.Yes, always check for everything on your car and document it. On my last trip to Kauai Alamo Car Rental was trying to charge me for a small scratch that I had not marked on the paper!

2. I love kids, but other people’s kids can be extremely annoying. Just because your think your kid is being cute by making a lot of noise does not mean other people will feel the same way. Be considerate of others.

Level Contributor
36,371 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report July 14-17

We also loved our meal at Lahaina Grill! Thank you for reporting back on your time Maui! We were there last month for a week and had a great time. :)

Edited: 18 July 2011, 17:34
California
Level Contributor
37,635 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report July 14-17

I didn't reference Lahaina Grill. I was referencing a meal we had on the island of Lana'i called Lana'i Grill which we loved, loved, loved. I have heard the place you ate on Maui is excellent and perhaps I will try it in November.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,389 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report July 14-17

Thanks for the report, jebett. So glad you had a wonderful time. I feel for ya with a crying baby, I had two behind me when returning from my mainland trip!! Some peoples' kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report July 14-17

Aloha,

Ahhh, at last!! I've been waiting for this one! Jebett, glad you had another great visit to MKV and Maui. I am also glad Merriman's stood up to the challenge again.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report July 14-17

Crying babies on flights, another reason to bring earplugs besides the snoring husband :-) Thanks for the TR and details about restaurants!

California
Level Contributor
37,635 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report July 14-17

SW: I really wanted to call you and have you stop by, but it didn't work out this time. I promise when we visit in Nov we will have a good visit. I just got a text from DH and he is still thinking about the great meal and evening we had at Merriman's. I forgot to add that the table we were seated at was lousy. It happened to be in the windiest area of the restaurant with zero view. We would have had to wait another 20 minutes for something else to come available so we just hunkered down and stayed. I was not happy since we did tell the restaurant it was our 30th and I made the resv a month before. Our waiter came up to introduce himself (Richard) and he said, "I understand you are not happy with this table". He could see I could barely keep my hair out of my mouth and told us to sit there for our drinks and he would move us to the best table in about 10 minutes which he did. What a huge difference a table location can make. No wind, gorgeous views and a really nice family next to us also celebrating an anniversary. Richard was a fabulous server and made our night even more special. Whatever you order, get a side of their macadamia nut rice. I could have ordered 3 of those. The music was wonderful too. I love this restaurant and can't wait to return.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report July 14-17

You must have started writing right when you got home last night : )

Great trip it sounds like. Now I'll have to check out your Lana'i TR. I never thought of the idea of talking the kids into a destination wedding. Mine are still young so I can start working on that now. They've seen more beach weddings on Maui than the church type and you can probably guess which I prefer.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report July 14-17

Aloha,

No worries, Jebett!! I knew you were going to be busy this time around!

Nice of Richard to take such good care of you. I'll have to come up with a reason......err.....excuse......to go eat there soon. I want the darn malasada dessert.................and now the rice too, LOL.