We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui in October

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Maui in October

My girlfriend and I are going to Maui 10/29 - 11/5. We just booked our trip last night through Costco..very excited. We got 7 nights at the hyatt(ocean view), airfare( out of lax), rental car, daily breakfast, and resort fee waived for $2,900! I have been searching and this was the best deal we could find for what we were looking for.

I am trying to put together an itinerary and could use some help. Besides drinks at the pool and hanging out at the beach.. what attractions do you recommend..We will do road to Hana..but was looking for other activities..kayak tours? Surfing lessons? Zip lines? Hiking spots? Catamaran at sea? Not interested in the Helicopter tours..hate flying.

Any help would appreciative, Thanks!

United States
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui in October

Throw the idea of an "itinerary" out of the window!!!

Make a list instead. Then, if you don't have time to do everything just keep working on that list on your next trip!

In 7 nights I'd choose 2 big activities. RTH if you want and then one other paid activity.

Surfing lessons: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g580462-i10914-k46…

Ziplines: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k465206…

Hiking: Pipiwa trail past Hana

Kayak: http://www.mauiecotours.com/

Read through the forums! At least the past 6 months. You will be longing for Maui and probably can't get enough of them anyway. Focus on the trip reports to figure out which items you might have the most fun doing. But if you see my two recommendations above are from posts just in the past few days...

Possible smaller things to fill in your days (see also "things to do" upper left):

visit a beach or two on the south side.

visit a beach or two to the north

Nakalele blowhole

snorkel

whaler's museum (on Ka'anapali Beach)

Banyan tree

Kapalua Trails kapalua.com/images/…kapalua_trail_booklet.pdf

Star show at Hyatt

Surfing Goat Dairy

Tedeschi Winery

Lavender Farm

Haleakala

I'ao Needle ($5 parking fee-definitely my top thing to do in Maui)

Visit lahaina

Visit Paia and/or Hookipa beach (spelling?)

Here is some help for you to start planning your restaurant list. tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i24615-Maui_Hap…

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui in October

Thank you!!! I will look into all of your suggestions.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,328 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui in October

jono - start reading down through the Maui Forum. There are lots of trip reports and draft itineraries - info at your fingertips. If you don't have a good travel guide for Maui, pick one up ... and a good map as well.

Yes, put together an itinerary and make reservations (like for ziplines) as necessary. Do you have to stick to the itinerary? No -- but it's good to have a plan.

FYI - the daily breakfast is OK - but don't let it hold you back from making an early start when necessary.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui in October

If you do some type of snorkeling with either a kayak tour or or some other organized tour, did it again on your own at Airport beach or Kapalua (like 5-10 minutes north of where you are staying). This is a morning activity so maybe either eat a light breakfast or eat when you get back. Unless you like being extremely active (I have a neighbor like that), don't line up a paid activity every day. It feels good to just wander around Whaler's Village or Lahaina for an afternoon of shopping. It's fun to go to a beach in a completely different area and have a picnic. Ho'okipa like smartlabel mentioned, Big Beach Makena at the south end of South Maui (don't jump in unless it is as smooth as glass here. The shore break can be a real neck breaker).

Blackwood, New...
Level Contributor
414 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui in October

...and of course...Haloween in Lahaina.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui in October

I'm with Julauf,

"don't line up a paid activity every day. It feels good to just wander"

I had activities ie: massages and a few excursions lined up almost every other day and looking back because I had them "scheduled" it was restrictive, couldn't just go with the flow on those days, had to be somewhere at a certian time.

Being in Maui is more than just a tropical vacation, there is an energy or "vibe" that most feel and that is the magical draw we are all addicted to. To really soak that up it helps to have a "go with the flow attitude" while there.

You are going to be on Maui only a short time so schedule a few things you "must do" and wing the rest.

You will LOVE it no matter what! Enjoy.

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui in October

Thank You Mary.. good advice.. after researching, I came to that conclusion...

I want to do the road to Hana, zip line.. and maybe a sailing snorkle.. type deal.. but will just book as we go along..

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,040 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui in October

If there is something on your agenda that is a "must do" for you, book it in advance. Most companies will discount if you book on line ahead of time. You also don't want to find something you really want to do and it's all booked up!!

9. Re: Maui in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 07:16