We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Hana

Huntington Beach...
5 posts
Save Topic
Road to Hana

We have been to different islands, a lot.! And are Adventurous, we have done queens bath severals times when our sons was 3 years olds. he hiked it fine. we jumped kipu falls, he watched

So now the road to hana....seems a natural choice on maui.

Where are the best of the best waterfalls and/or pools since we have a 5 years old with us. and want to make the most of it.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
52,497 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road to Hana

Aloha,

Look at the "Top Questions", above and to the right. There are two with lots of info about the RTH.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Road to Hana

spent a week on maui and drove the road to hana. First the road was a big disappointment, 75% of the time you cannot see past the roadside foliage, this is not the pacific coast hiway to carmel. Second, the beach???? at hana was dirty, no swimming, the restrooms were real filthy and to give you a real good idea of what to expect, the beach was loaded with dog poop, We both stepped in it and tracked it into the car!!!!!

Edited: 19 July 2011, 22:44
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,806 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road to Hana

Can't agree at all with alm8956

Road to Hana is one of the most scenic roads in the country.

There are many waterfalls along the road.

There are many scenic overlooks or short strolls or drives to overlooks.

There are villages with historic buildings along the highway.

Besides the two Top Questions on the right side of the page for Road to Hana, click on the Maui websites question. There is a section just for Road to Hana.

Ohe'o Gulch past Hana has the best pools.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road to Hana

We have taken the road to Hana twice. Once we started too late in day and turned around at Wailua Valley rest stop. A few years later we paid to ride a van on the circle route. I am glad we did it, but likely won't again. It was a long day.

Getting to Hana along north side pretty boring as other poster noted just driving in trees for 90% of it except for near Wailua V Rest Stop

Best of RTH is south of Hana for maybe 10 miles

South along dry coast not that interesting either

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,815 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road to Hana

We love The Road to Hana, have done it 6 times over the years and have never been unhappy, and that is someone that lived in Big Sur for 3 years alm8956, RTH is as much fun as that area. Hubie

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road to Hana

I have never found traveling along a country road with 59 bridges and approx. 620 curves through a rainforest very boring, but to each his own. And no, it's not the Pacific Coast Hwy., thank God!! Hamoa beach is absolutely beautiful. Oheo Gulch, where you will find the pools is stunning. If you have time hike the Pipiwai Trail, you will be hiking thorough a bamboo forest and Waimoku Falls will greet you at the end. All 400 ft. of it!! After visiting there, head towards Lindbergh's grave and you will find the best waterfalls along the road.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road to Hana

Guess I need to reconsider. I do know the first trip we took part way to Wailua V Wayside, was enough to make us decide to do whole circle, but we took van which was probably a mistake, driver chose where we stopped, Not sure I agreed with times she spent at each. Had we driven would have controled that. and road not as terrible as advertised for driving. I grew up in the hills with similar roads.

But still last few miles from Wayside into Hana not that interesting

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,618 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road to Hana

Spent all day last Tues at Hamoa beach ... One of the best on Maui, IMO. Bring boogie boards! The pipiwai hike is awesome, as is swimming in oheo gulch if it's open. Get a good guidebook and it will give you the stops -- I have done most of them at one time or another...pipiwai, oheo gulch and lindburgh's grave stand out in my mind.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
161 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road to Hana

I though the road past Hana was as fun or more fun for the views than the road itself. I read just about every book that described HANA and this is the list I came up with, you need to reset your odometer when the road first starts and hits zero... I was still .2 mile off so when we needed to stop at mile 11 it should have read 10.8 I think because I did miss one look out.

Mile Markers

 9-10 Waikamoi Nature Trail

o Features 2 nature loops one 10 mins the other about 30min. Easy walk at most 200ft elevation gain. Start at the left trail after 10 min go right and head back to the car or continue left for longer hike. Sign at BBQ area says end of trial but it’s not. Stay left leads to stream and dam. 1/3 mile upstream leads to 45 foot waterfall and natural amphitheater. 1-2 hrs total for this walk.

 10.8 Lower Puohokamoa Falls

o Ocean side of the road is a turnout with a telephone pole. There is a well worn path to the right, take it for a few minutes and be treated to a view of a 200ft waterfall.

 11.5 Haipua’ena Falls

o Small turnout on farside of bridge and a trail 30 second walk that leads to a waterfall.

 12.ish Kaumahina State Wayside Park

o Lookout and Bathroom’s stop if we feel like it

 13 Scenic View Honomanu Bay/Ke’anae Peninsula

o What a View STOP here

 14.5 Great scenic view

o Three pullouts, the middle one has little trail for the best view of the snaking highway.

 16.8 Chings Pond

o Pullout just before bridge. The path 75ft to the left leads down to a Marvelous pool.

 19-20 Three Bears Falls

o Trail located on far side of the bridge, fairly easy short path. Signs may say no parking so may need to park 800ft past the falls to an inadequate parking area and walk the road back to the falls.

 22-23 Pua’a Ka’a State Park

o Two easily visited waterfalls. Restrooms. There is an akward trial to the right side of the upper falls. It first leads to a short path to the top of the falls but if you got past for 5-10 min there is a much heavier fall just past that is a via duct you need to cross and then your prize a nice waterfall.

 24.1 Hanawi Falls

o Right by the bridge supposed to be one of the best at times.

 25.1 Makapipi Falls

o Pull over just past the bridge walk out onto bridge and look down to see falls going over the cliff into a pool.

 32.1 Wai’Anapanapa Black Sand Beach

o Should be signs and a road that takes you to the beach!

 35ish HANA

 Red Sand Beach

o Park on Uakea near Hauoli, even though it’s a dead end street make sure you park facing the correct direction. Just before the Sea Ranch Cottages there’s a large lawn area owned by the county. Look past the second lamp post on the right for a a path leading downhill. Continue straight down, taking a left just near the shore. It’s easier to navigate than it sounds. Takes about 5 mins’s don’t go if it’s muddy.

MILE MARKERS RESTART AND COUNT DOWN ON THESE SO DON’T WORRY

 48 Venus Pool

o Park on the side of the highway just past the 48 mile marker. Near the Hana side of the bridge is a trail toward the ocean near a sign erected by Hana Ranch reminding you that you can’t sue if you get hurt. The land in the gulch itself is state land so you can start the trail that way without hurting the fence. Just before the path hits a weird large round concrete thing….. veer to the right toward the stream. Should be able to see the big island

 42 Ohe’o Gulch aka Seven Pools

o Park at the lot past the 42 mile marker. The lot sometimes fills up around peak time 2ish. The Loop trail from the lot to the pools and back is just over ½ mile. Its 10 bucks to get in per car but if we go to the sunrise within 3 days our pass is still good.

 40 6/10 past Outlook

o One Car pullout and good coastal view

Level Contributor
35,461 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road to Hana

We picked up the CD at the Shell Station for $20 which also included a cool DVD and access to a cooler for the day. The Road to Hana is a beautiful drive and we were really glad we scheduled time for it. The Black Sand beach is beautiful, we had our picnic lunch there.

Another fun stop was Glen's Coconut ice cream. The ice cream is delicious and you can also buy a whole coconut there. The drive is full of lush greenery and tropical beauty. Have fun! :)