We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cane Spiders in Maui

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Cane Spiders in Maui

Oh man; I have been to Kihei, Maui 5 times now and this last time in July 2011 we were greeted by a cane spider in our condo! This is the first time we've had a ground floor condo so I don't know if this is the reason. It wasn't fun, he is in cane spider heaven. These things move extremely fast and are ugly. I spoke with several locals who all seemed to tell a different story; one said they bite, one said they don't bite (either way the heart attack will get me!); all in all they are huge; someone told me they charge at you others say yes they charge at you but then run away. I don't know what to believe but I am a terrible arachnophobe, for the duration of my stay I had to double check everything for cane spiders and stinging centipedes not to mention scorpions! I still love Maui and the people! Oh and one person told me the centipedes crawl up your bedskirt sometimes and to check the bed before entering!

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cane Spiders in Maui

Interesting story! As a travel related response I offer that we, as a rule, prefer not be be on the ground floor in a tropical location (Maui or otherwise) because of the potential for "critters". Not saying that these spiders are good or evil or in between. It's just our preference. Although once at Sugar Beach on the third floor we had a 1" gecko in the kitchen. Cute little thing.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,887 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cane Spiders in Maui

Next time, don't get a ground floor condo ... that should help.

Cane spiders can bite, but I've never known anyone who got bitten.

They run every which way, towards you, away from you, the just run! (but they want to get away from you).

That's true about the bedskirts and I removed mine after getting bitten in bed, and I always check the bed, but that's more a fear reflex. I hate \centipedes. They like ground floor slab construction the most, especially bathrooms where the floor is cool and dampish. They can climb walls easily, but they prefer ground level, so stay high if you are in an area that has them.

Actually, if the place is putting down a good perimeter spray on a regular basis, they shouldn't be getting in at all. (Unless they come up the drain, but let's not think about that.)

Sorry you had so much fear, but you survived!

I've had many cane spider encounters and aside from the screaming I came out of it OK.

As for centipedes, I can deal with them if I'm awake. It's the way they sneak into beds that gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,352 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cane Spiders in Maui

I only saw a cane spider once in the 5 yrs. I lived on Maui. It was dead in the bathtub on the second floor. So, higher up doesn't necessarily help. Saw a couple of centipedes too, that wasn't any fun. Oh, and a scorpion once too. Glad to be out of that house!!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cane Spiders in Maui

At least you dont have the horrible snakes that Texas has. Thats why I love Hawaii so!!! well other reasons too. Never saw a cane spider//yet...

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,887 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cane Spiders in Maui

>>> So, higher up doesn't necessarily help.

I was talking about the centipedes, not the cane spiders. You are right that they can be found higher up. Both critters can climb stucco with ease. It's more that centipedes prefer slab, and the odds of seeing one on the ground floor are higher. My house is part on slab and part post and pier, and it's the slab part where I find them sneaking in semi-regularly.

In our old Waikoloa house, we had maybe two that climbed up to the second floor in the year we lived there, but we literally had dozens that were found in the ground floor ohana and the garage.

However, they can also climb up the insides of drain pipes. This is one reason they seem so evil. They can come up into your sinks or your tub/shower. A good pest control contract is the best solution, and keeping doors closed after dark.

Also, if you leave your shoes outside, check them before you put them on. They are known to crawl into shoes to sleep. They are nocturnal, so unless something unusual happens to disturb them, you would only see them after dark.

Cane spiders I have seen both day and night. They are just big. They aren't mean looking, whereas a big centipede is kind of horrifying (IMHO).

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,587 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cane Spiders in Maui

1, Cane spiders are your friend !!! They are voracious insect carnivores who generally hunt at night and are listless during the day.

2. They do bite, but only very, very rarely; and can inject venom, The "fangs" on many are not long enough to peirce your skin (epidermal layer). Can't say I've ever heard of anyone getting ill whatsoever from a bite.

3. They are really clean for a spider. No web and they carry their young around in a sac in their mouth. When you smush a mother with a sac a gazillion little spiders may emerge, so be careful.

4. They are quite rare in urban areas, and like the dry and slightly wet central and leeward areas of the islands; more than the wet windward sides.

Edited: 20 July 2011, 00:30
La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cane Spiders in Maui

>>Cane spiders are your friend !!! They are voracious insect carnivores<<

I heard they eat bed bugs :)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,887 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cane Spiders in Maui

>>> They are quite rare in urban areas, and like the dry and slightly wet central and leeward areas of the islands; more than the wet windward sides.

Perhaps amberloo can say if this is wrong, but I associate them with old sugar cane areas.

I live on the wet windward side of the Big Island, in the heart of former sugar cane land, and see them frequently.

I never saw one living in the dry part of South Kohala.

Kihei, of course, is sugar cane country as well.

Centipedes live in both wet and dry areas, but in my experience they are pretty happy with the outside environment on the wet side. I saw them a lot more when I lived in South Kohala. One day it poured rain in Waikoloa, hard enough to saturate the ground, and a dozen or more big centipedes came out of the gravel on the side of the house and started racing up the stucco.

I raced to close the windows. ;-)

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cane Spiders in Maui

forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=62299

I found a bigger version of a giant house spider in our garage. Now that was huge and my hope is that she is huge because she eats lots of bugs and not people. Never fear.

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,731 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cane Spiders in Maui

With all the crazy food options around these days, I find it surprising that some enterprising food stall operator doesn't offer them beer battered on a stick. They'd have to be better than that spam stuff.