We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

16 night's including travel

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
16 night's including travel

First trip to Hawaii.

Thinking of Maui and Kauai.

Or should we try three islands?

Suggestions ideas help advice appreciated.

Traveling Sept 2012 ?

May be March which is better month?

Thank You

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 16 night's including travel

I would stick to two as there is more than enough to keep occupied with for 8 days on each. If adding a 3rd, perhaps just a couple of days on Oahu (start there, then head to Kauai, Maui, and fly home from Maui.)

We've been in April/May on our 3 visits to HI ... but from my research, September will have warmer air and water temps. March will still be whale season.

p.s. this site provides good info on monthly weather in HI: http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/faq/ (Click on 'Trip Planning Weather' in the first line).

Edited: 20 July 2011, 20:31
United States
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 16 night's including travel

It also depends on when you want to get away from your bad weather.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,815 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 16 night's including travel

I would go in March for whale season on Maui.

And I would stick to two islands - unless you are flying in or out of Oahu. Then I would take at least five nights there.

Pick up a copy of Hawaii for Dummies (forgive the title) and a good map of the Hawaiian Islands. www.gohawaii.com may be helpful.

Understand 1) you will need a car and you should reserve on in advance (3 or 4 months) and 2) island hopping takes at least 1/2 day.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,107 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 16 night's including travel

2 Islands tops.

March..to escape the NYC weather & to see the Fabulous Humpback whales!

Maui & Kauai sound like a plan. Try to fly into one and out of the other to save on Inter-island fees and time. It all adds up.

If the choice is Kauai in Sept ..stay North shore, if March...south in Poipu.

5. Re: 16 night's including travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 03:18