We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inter-island flights

nj
Level Contributor
672 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Inter-island flights

Getting ready to book flights for next summer from the East coast. Yay! I have been using Kayak since we are spending a week each on 3 islands. Should I avoid Pacific Air and Island Wings (I think that's the name.) It says "turbo prop" plane which makes me nervous. I would like to fly direct from Maui to Kauai and not stop over in Honolulu for such a short trip. Also, I was thinking it would be smart to book as soon as the fares are published. Would it be better to wait in terms of pricing? I'd appreciate any advice. It is our first trip to Hawaii!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,643 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inter-island flights

It is Pacific Wings and Island Air. Nothing wrong with turbo props, they are all short flights anyway. If you really hate them don't book on GO! you may end up in an 11 seat single engine plane...lol

As far as I know, no direct flights OGG to LIH they all connect through HNL.

Yes you should book as soon as you know your dates. They have limited super saver seats and when gone you either pay more or fly at a time that may not work well for your schedule.

nj
Level Contributor
672 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Inter-island flights

Thanks so much. Kayak lists a direct from OGG to LIH on Island Air, so that would be great. Just wanted to double check on the turbo prop thing. Thanks again! This forum is invaluable!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,643 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inter-island flights

If there is a listed flight then go for it. Island Air uses Dash 8 twin turbo props. Not a bad plane, they fly a bit lower and slower than the Hawaiian 717. If your carry on is too big to fit in the smaller overhead they will check it planeside and give it back when you land.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,225 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inter-island flights

Hawaiian Airlines is No#1 for Safety, Comfort & On-time Performance.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,404 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inter-island flights

We've used Island Air for years and we love them. Their planes are roomy enough and they fly lower than the jets, so you get a better view, often of whales during their season. Dependable, inexpensive, on time. They fly into the west Maui airport, which is VERY convenient. Not the same as Pacific Wings, which has a very occasional schedule. GO! does fly the small Cessna Caravan on some routes, and that's an "intimate" little single engine plane. I believe that some GO! routes are actually flown by their commuter subsidiary, meaning that they serve the commuter terminal at Kona and Kahului. They weigh you and your baggage and assign seats by weight. Island Air does publish early cheap rates that disappear as flight time approaches. These smaller airlines are not pressurized, so there's no chance that they are going to lose their roofs like that ALoha jet did.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inter-island flights

If you fly a smaller plane, pay attention to their luggage requirements/restrictions.

Also - know that a stop over in HNL is no big deal at all on Hawaiian Airlines is that is a better fit for you.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,201 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Inter-island flights

We'll be using only Hawaiian in the future -- at least for any connecting flights. We ran into a problem with Island Air when booking far out. They have so few planes and so few flights that if they CHANGE your flight, you can be in trouble with a connecting flight.

We'd booked an afternoon flight from OGG to allow two hours at HNL before boarding our AA flight home to Chicago. The Island Air flight change had us rising at 4 a.m. to make a dawn Island Air fllight that went to Molokai, then on to HNL, arriving eight hours before our flight home. We had to pay a CX fee, fly to Honolulu the night before our flight home and pay for a hotel. *Technically* the line was getting us to HNL before our flight home, so they assumed no responsibility.

If you're not booking very far out or are unconcerned with connections or flight changes, there's nothing wrong with the smaller aircraft.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inter-island flights

Per this link, Island Air's carry-on policy is fairly restrictive/checked is industry standard:

http://www.islandair.com/flight-info/baggage/

The Maui-Kauai non-stops depart from OGG.

Island Air does not feature seat assignments...the wing over fuselage design of the Dash 8 facillitates sight-seeing...you will be doing yourself a big favor if you get in line early & sit on the left side...weather permitting, you'll see the ruggedly beautiful northern coast of Maui/parts of Molokai that none of the helicopter tours reach...and, the (normal) glide path into Kauai is (definite IMO) the most scenic of all the islands.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,643 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inter-island flights

On top of what Beaches said, row one is just ahead of the prop so you don't even have the wing over your window. We took some great photos last trip flying over Honolulu on the way to Lanai.

nj
Level Contributor
672 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Inter-island flights

Wow! Fabulous insight, can't thank you all enough!