We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Hawaii

Miami
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Hawaii

Hi everyone...my fiance and I are thinking about planning a trip to Hawaii. We have never been to Hawaii and we don't know much about what to do/where to stay, etc. Our vacation time is limited due to work/school. We can travel Monday, October 10th - Friday, October 14th. Any suggestions on what island to go to/where to stay/what to do, etc? Thanks!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,617 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Hawaii

Just to clarify ...are you travelling from Miami to Hawaii, for 5 days in total, i.e. 4 nights?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,950 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Hawaii

That's a long flight (time and $$$) for such a short stay. If this your honeymoon?

I think you'll love Hawaii - I don't want to dissuade you - but think about your time in the air v. your short stay.

Pick up a copy of Hawaii for Dummies (forgive the title) and a good map of the Hawaiian Islands. www.gohawaii.com may be helpful.

Maui or Oahu are my picks for first-timers.

United States
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Hawaii

I'd save Maui for when you can take a longer vacation. 7 nights MINIMUM!

Is there somewhere in the Caribbean you could go? When we are on a time crunch we try to travel on the west coast. Maybe you should do the same for the east coast?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,955 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Hawaii

Long flight for short time . . .budget? Things you like to see/do?? Can you also include both weekends before and after those M-F dates?

We have a favorite island much closer to you - very easy on the budget - Isla Mujeres . . . www.islamujeres.info. Just a thought - until you have more time for Hawaii! :)

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Hawaii

Monday and Friday will be completely consumed by travel to/from Hawaii, leaving you Tues, Wed, and Thursday. You will be hampered by jet lag.

You don't have enought time to do this and enjoy it.

Miami
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Hawaii

Thanks for the comments!

Alright so maybe Hawaii isn't the way to go...we will be traveling from South Florida...any other suggestions then?

And no, unfortunately we can only be gone Monday through Friday.

We also thought about Vegas. I looked up flights and found that Southwest is the cheapest. We would get there Monday around 8:30AM and leave Friday around 1PM. Or maybe this isn't a good idea either?

Feel free to let me know what you think! Thanks again for the input!!

United States
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Hawaii

Have you thought of Disneyworld? If we have time for a short trip we sometimes go to Disneyland on the west coast.

Miami
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Hawaii

We lived in Orlando until recently and we've been to most of the parks. We would like to try something new. But good suggestion!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to Hawaii

I don't know about you but Vegas in October.....HOT and desert.... to me that equals yuck! (okay I live in AZ so I see it every day).

What about San Deigo CA, or Monterey CA or many of the beach towns in So Cal???

Miami
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to Hawaii

Ya think one of those cities in CA is completely doable within the time frame we have? I don't know...so I just want to make sure.