We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfing lessons for beginners

Orangeville, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Surfing lessons for beginners

We will be in Maui on the 17th of August (getting very excited now!), and I'd like to book a surfing lesson for some or all of my family. We are all beginners.

My kids are 6, 9 and 15.....is 6 years too young?

We'll be staying at the Honua Kai condos, where would be a good place for surfing lessons nearby, and do I need to book this in advance or could we arrange when we get there?

Many thanks!

Hawaiian Paddle Sports
Scuba & Snorkeling, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Kayaking & Canoeing, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Royal Hawaiian Surf Academy
Lessons & Workshops, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Maui Surfer Girls
Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Rivers To The Sea
Sports Camps & Clinics, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,693 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfing lessons for beginners

Take a look at Goofyfoot Surf lessons and Maui Waveriders, both have locations in Lahaina, I'd probably go ahead and book it on-line...you're traveling at a very busy time. I would call and ask about the6 year old but I bet they say "Go for it!". We see lots of young ones on the waves!

Boston
Level Contributor
130 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfing lessons for beginners

Royal Hawaiian Surf Academy @ Marriott Beach Club

Maui's #1 Surf School

http://www.royalhawaiiansurfacademy.com/

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60634-d1226…

They were fantastic!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surfing lessons for beginners

It depends if your 6 year old is a stronger swimmer or not, and if scared of big waves.

I took my then 5 year old to a surfing lesson a few years back, one wave knocked my child out into the water... a weak swimmer, big waves, salty water. I had to drop the camera, and run into the water to rescue her...real tears and everything. I brought my 5 year old back on shore and we gave up.

I have seen younger kids taking surfing lessons, it depends on your child, and also for that age, I would recommend a private lesson, or you stay in the water the whole time to help out.

4. Re: Surfing lessons for beginners

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 17:15