We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to elope?.............st john vs. hawaii

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Where to elope?.............st john vs. hawaii

My fiance and i want to elope aug 2012 we will also be bring our 7 yr old son, we cant decide between st john or hawaii (specifically maui) Ive done alot of internet research on st john and so far i really like what i see and pretty much have most of it planned( in my head) for some reason im having a harder time finding the info i really want for hawaii. so i was wondering if anybody wld be able to help piont me in the right direction. For starters do i need a wedding planner? if so who are some good ones? good photographer? best places/beaches for the ceremony? kid friendly places to stay? we had decided to stay @ a villa in st john bc they dont have any all inclusive resorts, are they any good ones in Hawaii? should we rent a car to explore the island? Any help would be greatly appriciated,THANKS! We woukd like to keep out total budget between 5000-8000 dollars

LA
Level Contributor
10,044 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to elope?.............st john vs. hawaii

Things to consider:

1. How to get legally married in St. John.

2. Isn't August prime hurricane season there?

3. There is only one all-inclusive in Hawaii and it would likely exceed your budget.

4. How many nights are you planning for? Does that budget include air fare?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,066 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to elope?.............st john vs. hawaii

To add to Pareo's excellent comments: All of the information you are seeking is already at your fingertips. You can do a word search, like "wedding," on the Maui Forum ... you can scroll down and start reading. OR BOTH! Look to the right and you'll see frequent questions and itineraries.

While the Internet is handy - I highly suggest that you invest in a travel guide for Maui and a good map.

You budget numbers are useless (sorry!) without knowing how many nights you would be in Hawaii and whether that amount is for your accomodations or it includes airfare, car, etc.

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to elope?.............st john vs. hawaii

Curiious as to why you pick St John and Maui? Kauai is more like St John than Maui.

Broussard, Louisiana
Level Contributor
294 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to elope?.............st john vs. hawaii

We honeymooned in Maui and couldn't have been happier! Maui is an adventure while St John is primarily a beach only destination. Send me a message and I can get the planner, minister and photographer we used. We were very happy with each. We stayed at the sheraton on blackrock.

Durham, Connecticut
Level Contributor
287 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to elope?.............st john vs. hawaii

I would also consider the amount of time you are spending in either location versus travel time, as you are traveling from Ohio. 7 days or less the travel value, in my opinion, is St. John. Beyond that it is a matter of what the locations offer you.

Though I think Maui is, as mentioned, a bit more adventurous, the USVI and BVI's offer a great opportunity to cruise about to various destinations for day trips for exploration...and there is nothing like a day on Jost!

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
996 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to elope?.............st john vs. hawaii

St John is one of my favorite places - it is absolutely beautiful.

We havent been to Maui yet but will be there in 94 more days!! :) yes counting the days!

However, staying is a villa with a 7 year old might not be very exciting for him. The resorts on St John are pretty pricey, but the Westin does have a kids program and would keep him occupied with things to do. We visited Caneel Bay and saw lots of kids there.. You might want to consider this to give you some free time during the day.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to elope?.............st john vs. hawaii

St. John will be your less expensive option. You can get there faster. If you just want to relax, that's a good place. This would be honeymoon material.

Hawaii will be more costly. It's a 12-hour trip to Maui from Chicago. You can relax there too, but there is also a lot more to see and do. This would be more 'family vacation' with wedding.

Might you marry at home and honeymoon as a couple? Might you plan this in winter and have a nice escape from the cold?

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,086 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to elope?.............st john vs. hawaii

Wait a minute. Planning to elope 1 year from now! Here is the definition of elope from dictionary.com:

1. to run off secretly to be married, usually without the consent or knowledge of one's parents.

2. to run away with a lover.

3. to leave without permission or notification; escape.

This sounds more like a planned wedding.

Regardless, you have received great advice in the earlier responses. I have to agree most strongly with Sue. A honeymoon with a 7 year old does not sound very fun to me.

The Carribean in the summer is risky due to hurricane season, and it will be very hot and humid. The current temperature there is 87, with a steamy dew point of 78 giving them a heat index of 104.

Do some research on Maui, and see if it fits your budget and time frame. It is hot there also in the summer, but less humid. Or look into St. John in the winter or spring.

Edited: 02 August 2011, 18:23
oklahoma city
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to elope?.............st john vs. hawaii

Been to both although not for a wedding and imho maui>>>>over st John. As far as travel time no doubt the flight is shorter although not sure how much. But don't forget you don't fly to St. John, you fly to St. thomas, have to catch a shuttle to the ferry, then a ferry to the island. That time adds up. Does your 7 year old have his sea legs? Way way more stuff to do in Maui, rent a nice two bedroom condo( I love Wailea Ekahi myself, right on the beach).

Michigan
Level Contributor
75 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to elope?.............st john vs. hawaii

Well I can't attest to Maui as I am very excited to be making my first trip there next week (!!) but we are true St. John lovers, it is a very special and magical place. Very laid back, no high rises, no traffic (actually no traffic lights for that matter), amazing calm beaches and a great vibe. I guess it all depends on what you like. Some people like lots to do, some like to chill. As far as the weather goes, we go twice a year and have never encountered a hurricane but it could happen. As with any island in a temperate latitude, the temperature varies little all year--is 87 in August any different than 84 in March? If you want to get out and explore, you can visit St. Thomas for shopping, do a day trip to the British Virgin Islands (Google 'The Baths') or explore the many trails and beaches. As far as taking a 7 year old, we have taken our kids every year to St. John since they were toddlers and they never want to go anywhere else! It is totally safe, we love that the island is so small and crime is very rare. If you are looking for nonstop activity, St. John is not for you, that is one of the things we are looking forward to on Maui--we are excited for all of the adventures that Maui holds. There are only 2 hotels on St. John, the Westin and Caneel Bay, both beautiful (Westin has a great kids program), but we love staying in villas, for the privacy and views. Good luck deciding, congratulations and feel free to send me a message if you have questions!