We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More budget friendly hotel?

Phoenix
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
More budget friendly hotel?

I am looking at a 9-10 day trip to Maui in October and thinking of staying in the Ka'anapali area.

We are thinking we'd like to stay something more resort/hotel like than condo since I don't really expect to cook or anything. Mostly want something on the beach, with pool, services, maybe a restaurant, but not quite at the Sheraton/Westin/Hyatt prices...maybe something more below $300 a night? I really like how they have the shuttle into lahaina, how much of a taxi ride would this be?

Currently looking at the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel...but would like opinions or other thoughts.

United States
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More budget friendly hotel?

For that long of a trip you really need a car on Maui.

I've gotten both Hyatt and Sheraton through Expedia for $200 a night. I've done it both times using car + hotel option.

Other options are the Royal Lahaina or Ka'anapali Beach Hotel.

costcotravel.com may have some deals. I've always found Expedia to be cheaper.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: More budget friendly hotel?

Yes, I expect we will get a car as well (guess I was just thinking if we wanted to go to Lahaina and have some drinks without needing to drive back). I guess the rates for the Sheraton are more like $279 a night, but we would like to do something less than that. I've checked both expedia and costco..

will check out the other recommendations, thanks :)

Edited: 03 August 2011, 01:14
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,977 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More budget friendly hotel?

One thing to figure in is that the Sheraton offers a free shuttle into Lahaina, saves on taxis but then you have to add in the resort fees. Maybe a wash.

Nobody says you HAVE to cook in a condo! More space and having that fridge for drinks and snacks is huge for us.

Check out www.chasenrainbows.com for westside condo options.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,040 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More budget friendly hotel?

To expand your horizons and more budget friendly hotels, check out the south Maui area. Maalaea, Kihei, Wailea and Makena. The Makena Beach and Golf Resort is a wonderful place to stay and well within your budget. It is set apart from the other hotels in the area and is in front of one of the best beaches on Maui.

Modesto
Level Contributor
460 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: More budget friendly hotel?

I agree with mamma,,,booking a condo doesn't mean you HAVE to cook,,but it gives you the option of at least having supplies to make lunches and snacks to take for your outings,,or eating in.,,especially since you are budget conscious.

My recent June trip, my sis and I had a condo and the only time I turned on the stove was to heat up water for tea,,but we did a lot of stocking up on salads, sandwiches, and appetizers. It's amazing how much you can save on meals out when you are enjoying your lanai (patio) with snacks and such,,even your ability to mix drinks with a kitchen!,,(cocktails in is a BIG money-saver)!

lob
New York
Level Contributor
781 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: More budget friendly hotel?

booked Sheraton w/air and car on Expedia for less than 3400 for the both of us. 8days.

United States
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: More budget friendly hotel?

Sweet!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,921 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: More budget friendly hotel?

Have you looked at Napili? Either the Napili Shore or Napili Kai?

Use the link below to look at those properties and the ones in Ka'anapali.

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mauwestmap.html

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: More budget friendly hotel?

Sheraton is in a great spot.

more budget minded should look at the Royal Lahaina or their budget

hotel next door the Kaanapali Ocean Inn.

Nyack, New York
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: More budget friendly hotel?

How about Outrigger Maui Eldorado?

$140 a night .

Walk to Kaanapali through golf course.

CJ's across the street for breakfast and lunch.

It has a pool.

Nice uncrowded beach on other side of Black Rock.

And it's a condo, so you can be like me and do no cooking there.

You will have more room than a standard hotel room.

You can make 100% Maui coffee in your room like I did a few weeks ago. They even included coffee filters