We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report 7/15-7/24

Stuart, Florida
Level Contributor
91 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report 7/15-7/24

Arrived Sat. 7/16. Car pick up from Enterprise was such a breeze. No lines no waiting. Many employees kept everything moving real smooth.

Headed for our condo in S. Kihea. Stopped for lunch at Stellas (good) and Longs for supplies (booze).

Condo was exactly as pictured literally and mentally. Hale Pau Hana, right on Kam II beach. Wonderful location, staff and accomadations. We could not have been more pleased. The condo was clean, and fully equipped with everything we might need including a cooler, beach chairs, beach bag, umbrellas, etc......Also, the bed was really comfy and the linens clean and replenished often.

Old Lahaina Luau-Great food, people, drinks and very well organized.

Day 2- Up early, of course. DH had to have coffee so we headed to the grocer to get basics. Hale Pau Hana provided there discount card for us as well as an additional 10 percent off coupon. Cool.

Headed S. for some snorkeling. The Dumps, really nice reef and fish life.

I read about it here, there, everywhere, but had never experienced the surf turning so quickly.Wow! We were snorkeling along and all of a sudden out of nowhere, BAM. We had only been in the water about ten minutes and it was perfectly calm when we entered. Moved in the other direction and continued snorkeling,

Back to the car and headed further south to look around. Stopped at the food truck on our way back. Great fish tacos! Also shared a fruit smoothie. Layed a beach towel across the hood of the car and had our own little picnic.

Back to the condo pool, and early bed.

Day 3- Honolua Bay snorkeling- Got there somewhat early. Thought the snorkeling was okay but a little disappointed. Back in the car. Continuing up to look around. Not sure if we want to do the blow hole or not but realize we weren't at Honolua after all. Keep going people!

Decide to keep driving and come back to snorkel later in the week as it was getting crowded. Skipped the blow hole. Took our time heading back just looking around. Whalers Village, Hula Grill, Macadamia Crab Wontons! Awesome! Back to the condo. Another glorious sunset and early to bed.

Day 4- Helicopted tour with blue hawaiin. People here are just fantastic. Had a wonderful time......however, ....if it's in your budget, Do It!, If it is a must, Do It, If it is a strain on the budget skip it and buy the video.

On to Haleakala. Did not want to get up and see the sunset, too early and too cold for me. Not sure I had to see it at all. Thank goodness my DH did. Headed there after the heli tour and it was spectacular. So glad now that I did not miss this opportunity.

Am I only on Day 4 because I am now exhausted and must go to bed. Finish report first thing tomorrow A.M. Aloha!

Indy
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report 7/15-7/24

Great trip. thanks.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,452 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report 7/15-7/24

Aloha,

Mahalo for the report

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report 7/15-7/24

Awesome//more more more

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,020 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report 7/15-7/24

3 beers two bags of pop-corn, great report. Hubie

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,473 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report 7/15-7/24

Love it! Thanks for checking in!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report 7/15-7/24

Hale Pau Hana- one of the best places I ever stayed. Sadly, a bit out of my current price range. I can visualize you there on that lovely beachfront lawn. Bliss! (and envy)

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
55,208 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report 7/15-7/24

Aloha,

To heck with sleep!!! We want more!!!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report 7/15-7/24

The Dumps is a great place, Glad the surprise surf didn't cause any problems.The waves can get rather lagre to the left.

Love hearing about all the fun things you are doing. Waiting for more.....

Stuart, Florida
Level Contributor
91 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report 7/15-7/24

Ok, Ok I'm awake!

Barbara- We did love Hale Pau Hana. Did a prepay nonrefundable to get a better rate. Still the price was cheaper than a basic hotel room in S. Florida.

swmarket-ok I'm awake. Only because you were so important in planning my trip, XOXO. Forever grateful.

Barefoot- We are experienced water people which is probably why it was so scary. Never before. Like you said it came up on the left, so we went to the right. Loved it!

Sherrard, Illinois
Level Contributor
143 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report 7/15-7/24

We were there 7/12-7/24 too. We were amazed at the surf and the wind. One minute it was calm and the next minute umbrellas, etc. were flying. The surf seemed to be the same, out of no where it slammed you.