We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaiian goodie bags

schmizer
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hawaiian goodie bags

Hello,

I am putting together out-of-town bags to welcome my wedding guests and want to include local items.

My fiance is Taiwanese, so he really enjoys crackseed which I will need to find.

I would also like to include snacks and beverage that really showcase what Maui has to offer. These could include beer, beverage, snacks, fruits, sweets.... Anything that could be kept in a hotel room for a few days.

If you could specify brands and where to find them that would be incredibly helpful. We are staying in Kaanapali, but are willing to travel all over the island since we have a couple of free days before guests start arriving.

Thanks again!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
53,784 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaiian goodie bags

Aloha,

Your best one-stop place will be Long's, down at the Cannery Mall. They have a huge variety of foods and beer as well.

Consider Taro Chips instead of Maui Potato Chips; mac nuts--try the wasabi or the chili ones for a change from the sweet ones. Also check the big Asian aisle there-lots of different things.

Local beer, look at Maui Brewing Company's-Long's has it for much less than Safeway. Juices, not much variety except the Hawaiian Sun ones. They're a juice blend, non-carbonated and in cans.

Fruits will spoil, unless you get something like apples--anything else, you should only buy the day before. Long's has a lot of local fruits and veggies.

Edited: 06 August 2011, 18:32
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,070 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaiian goodie bags

Long's is great - and also look in the ABC Stores. Think about tossing in things like a key chain or sticky-notes ...

Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
745 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaiian goodie bags

Go to the lavender farm and you can choose from several Maui made non-perishables.

http://www.aliikulalavender.com/default.aspx

We are big fans of the Maui Swap Meet which is an Arts N Crafts/Farmers Market where you can pick up locally made jams, coconut macaroons, infused salts, pineapple salsas etc etc. This would be an ideal one stop shop for you! Held on Saturday mornings from 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., at the University of Hawaii Maui College campus with over 100 booths.

http://www.mauiexposition.com/

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaiian goodie bags

Be sure to look for Wow-Wee "Maui's Candy Bar." Many flavors available. Chocolate though, have to make sure they wouldn't get melty. You should be able to find them in a grocery/drug/convenience store. There's a nice grocery store in downtown Lahaina. Some of the stores with a bakery, may have some interesting options for sweets. (I once got some tasty fruit filled pastries @ the Maui Swap Meet, held on Sat. mornings in Kahului.) I think you will find all kinds of good stuff when you get into the stores. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that there is an easy to find, very nice Wal-Mart right in the town you will land in, Kahului. If you had time & patience when you get in, stop in there on your way to where you are staying. It's at least a 45 min. drive from Kahului to Kaanapali, that darn highway backs up at most times. I can't forget to mention Hula Cookies, "Hawaiian Style Cookies made on Maui." it's in the Maalaea Harbor Shopping Center (again on the way to Kaanapali/Lahaina area) or in Lahaina on Front St. Yummy flavors, very good quality & size! Check their website for more info, they have ice cream too. They sell single cookies in stores, only tins online. If you did the cookies, you'd need a way to pkg. them. Maybe they can do it, or find celophane treat bags.

There is Tedeschi Wines made on Maui, but I doubt you want to give bottles of wine. All 3 of their Pineapple wines have Maui in the names. Local wine should be available in local liq. stores, I think even @ that Wal-Mart. unless you wanted to take the long trip to the winery. On the line of booze, but not "made" in Maui, (made in CA, for Hawaiian Distillers.) I was enjoying tiny bottles (2 oz.) of Kahana Royale, Macadamia Nut Liqueur simply on ice. I kept finding them in ABC Stores, maybe liquor stores.

Congrats BTW to you for getting married in Maui. I married there, 5 yrs. ago, very small wedding on the beach @ sunset. Perfect! THE best Hawaiian minister ever. He had been out surfing earlier that day. 3 hours in the salon & my hair would end up being blown straight up into the air in most pics. Thankfully we ended up with a few really great photos that evened out the one's with flying hair. Watch out for that, if you care about a hairdo. For a bit of time there, I was envious of the brides who get married in a church; go from the bride's room to the ceremony. When are you getting married? In case I would think of anything else.

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaiian goodie bags

I guess they're made on Oahu, but the Honolulu Cookies at Whalers Village are delicious and the tin I bought was individually wrapped. Shaped like pineapples, some are dipped in chocolate they're really good :)

Dave

Edited: 06 August 2011, 21:32
Canada
Level Contributor
9,178 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaiian goodie bags

Just to clarify...You are getting married on Maui and wish to put together some Gift bags to welcome your guests to the island and to the Nuptials?

How many guests/Bags?

How much do you want to spend on each gift bag?

Depending on budget.

Are you meaning these to be quick little Fun snack bags?

or

More upscale Welcome gift bags with a Hawaiian design containing local gourmet products. coffee, pair of mugs,perhaps draped with Lei....and a handsigned card welcoming them.

Macadamia nut shortbread...chocolate dipped are always a favorite.

Just thinking of the little gifts we have received from Vacation rental owners over the years to welcome us..... the fresh tropical flowers are always a nice touch and instantly put you into Hawaiian holiday mood.

Edited: 06 August 2011, 21:48
Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaiian goodie bags

I know there is a crackseed store at the Queen Kaahumanu mall but you'll likely find crackseed goodies at Walmart and some of the other general stores.

schmizer
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaiian goodie bags

I have about 30 guests coming so I am thinking one bag per couple or single person if they are not bringing someone. I am getting married the middle of April.

The bags will be a small token of appreciation for our guests who are traveling from afar for our wedding. We are spending about $50 per bag. Some of the items we have already purchased are dry tech wallets, mini first aid kits, a gift certificate to Snorkel Bob's, bugspray, Ibuprofen, dramamine, pepto, travel sunscreen, vintage Hawaiian postcards, etc... Throwing in a Hawaiian keychain is a great idea.

I want to include some bottled water, beer and snacks so that they have some things to munch on in the room. Most of my friends are in the restaurant industry and really appreciate trying local and unique foods.

I wish we could go to the swap meet but will not be arriving in Maui until 3 pm on Saturday and our guests arrive Monday.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaiian goodie bags

Longs has hawaiian print insulated tote bags. Great graphics.

You can fill them with lots of snacks, sunscreen and veggies from Longs.

They have a great selection of local sea salts, local jams, local coffee etc.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
490 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaiian goodie bags

Additional suggestions:

- Hawaiian Music CD

- Underwater disposable camera

- Fish (or flower or bird) identification booklet

- Pacific Whale Foundation canvas shopping bag

- Perhaps self-address and stamp one of the postcards with a request for your guests to share their favorite Maui memory. Upon your return, you and your husband may enjoy receiving and saving those as mementos from your special event.

Congratulations!