We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Here....part 4

Socal
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Here....part 4

Yawn...okay, got up went surfin' yada yada, you've heard it before. Surf small however.

Big canoe races happening close by and the parking lots jammed. Music festival also happening on the beach next door so the sounds are wafting through the air to our room.

Up to Kapalua today for some beach time and snorkling. Today is the kind of day the picture post cards are taken...reasonable breezes, puffy clouds, bright sun and ocean colors that represent all of the blues and greens. It is simply stunning.

Kapalua was long ago fished out and much of the coral died or taken but it still a spectacular setting, almost the quintessential Hawaiian scene. Many families, honeymooners, divers, numerous languages being spoken on the sand. The sand was packed with people, with several families just plopping themselves down inches from our gear...how about a little space people?!

We headed out and found some good pockets of fish. The trumpetfish are just strange, long, odd looking beastes. There was a pile of them huddled together on the bottom near some rocks.

Rumors of turtles were heard but we spotted none today. A group of scuba divers on an intro dive were being given instructions as they entered the water. Soon they vanished below the waves, only the warning flag moving along silently on top marked their progess underneath.

After the noon hour, we grew hungry, having not packed a lunch today so back to the apt for a meal.

A little snooze is in order and then back to the beach.

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_1395.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_1385.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_1384.jpg

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,826 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Here....part 4

Aloha,

Nesdog, you are raising the bar for TRs , you know? Now we are spoiled and will expect running TR's plus daily photos!!!

Glad the day was nicer--way less windy--than yesterday. Took me almost four hours just to do "leaf/branch patrol" in my yard.

Enjoy and have a great evening.

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Here....part 4

lovin it and getting ready our trip for late this month. Not liking your report of crowds at my fave Kapalua. I've never been in the summer before - but your pictures don't seem to back that up :)

Dave

United States
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Here....part 4

Gorgeous pix!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,529 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Here....part 4

Aloha,

Mahalo for the report

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Here....part 4

nesdog,

i rarely read trip reports...but am really enjoying yours...nice and concise and you use paragraphs...lol.

really, REALLY love your posting pics with the reports, also....the kapalua pics kinda gave me goosebumps....mrs. shears and i were married there at sunset a couple years ago. fortunately, there were no crowds.

sounds like you're having a great time!

Socal
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Here....part 4

Thanks, Billy. These TR's serve two purposes; first to share our experiences with whoever wants to read them and secondly, as our diary. When we get home, I'll copy them for ourselves so we really remember the trip.

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone. I'm hoping to give you an armchair view and take you all along with us!

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Here....part 4

nesdog,

great idea as a pseudo diary....we always make scrapbooks (yes...i'm a guy and i enjoy scrapbooking...lol) of our trips, but making trip reports to go with it would be a nice compliment!

looking forward to more!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,585 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Here....part 4

Sigh...I may never write another TR! Nice work...I LOVE just riding along to all my favorite places.

sw...ya haven't trained Nick to pick up those branches!!

seattle
Level Contributor
204 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Here....part 4

Kapalua was really crowded when we were there, too. We had people using our reef shoes as drink holders. Really, people? I think that makes those *my* drinks.

I think we need to spread a rumor that the Kapalua sand is infested with ninja centipedes.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Here....part 4

After dinner evening entertainment tonight was our regular walk down to Whaler's Village, just a few minutes away. There are a lot of people visiting the island right now and you do see folks during the day but you really get the scope of the crowd when you hit the entrance to WV. It's a perfect storm of bodies, with Leilani's, Hula Grill and others all rolling out the welcome mat in a very small area. Basically at sunset and dinner hour, it's just a crush.

It's fun to sit on the grass in front of the Hula Grill and listen to the music and watch the people go by. Try to guess the relationship...is the couple holding hands? Hmmm...newlyweds!

Whaler's Village itself is just a mall, with the usual stores; Coach, Sephora, et al. There is often a show at the stage. Most of the stores see foot traffic but the one that always is busy is.....of course....ABC!

We head down to the food court for two reasons; first to have our nightly frozen yogurt from Yogurtland. We have one of these close to our home so we know it well.

Second, however, is Honolulu Cookie Company. Okay their items are tasty but of far more importance...they have samples! And not just a few...there are bins of samples. (see the pix). So this is your tip for the night...check it out! Right across from Yogurtland.

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_1411.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_1413.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_1412.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_1414.jpg