We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current snorkeling conditions

Norman, OK
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Current snorkeling conditions

Aloha!

We’re here in Maui and having a wonderful time, but we’ve been a little frustrated trying to find good snorkeling conditions. (We’re staying in Kihei, and it’s been really windy/choppy.) I’ve been checking the snorkel/dive conditions for Maui on Hawaii Weather Today, and it says that the only good snorkeling conditions expected tomorrow are on north shore beaches. My guidebook makes it sound like none of the north shore beaches are good for snorkeling, but maybe the website considers other beaches as north shore. Any advice? And has anyone heard how long these choppy seas are going to last? Thanks in advance for your help!

Sydney
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Current snorkeling conditions

Have you been out to Molokini? It's beautiful out there! Here's some photos I took.. http://www.snrkl.com/articles/view/4003

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current snorkeling conditions

We are also here in Maui. We went to Honolua Bay (north shore) and Kapalua bay a few days ago, and it was very calm there. Snorkeling were excellent in both locations.

We also took a boat trip to Lanai, it was a bit chopped and visbility was worst then we remembered from our previous trip. But it was still good.

Indiana
Level Contributor
836 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Current snorkeling conditions

The summer months are best on the West Side. I just left Maui on Saturday and snorkeled at Airport Beach along with Napili Bay. Both beaches offered good snorkeling. I saw turtles in both locations. I didn't make it to Honolua Bay but friends of mine said it was great.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,493 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current snorkeling conditions

It's a bummer when a summer swell "messes" with the south Maui snorkeling.

Yesterday several reported good snorkel on the West side. Head to Airport beach(Kahekili), Kapalua and Honolua.

Is the south snorkeling ok around 8 am to 10 or is it wiped out even early?

5. Re: Current snorkeling conditions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 14:17