We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Here..part 7

Socal
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Here..part 7

Quick surf sesh, of course, and then back for breakfast.

A return to Kapalua was in order for my wife and I, now hitting the Village Trails hiking area. This series of trails in the reclaimed lands that used to be the golf course, are a pretty good challenge, ranging from 1 to 3+ miles in length. The skies were cloudy with slight drizzle, no wind and lots of mugginess, perfect for a tropical jaunt. We were both covered in sweat quickly.

"Cardio Trail" started out with a big, steep uphill. We swung over to the Lake Trail next, sweeping through the underbrush that has now covered the hillsides. Occasionally, signs of the old fairways could be seen in breaks between trees. We saw red headed birds and many butterflies.

Bring lots of water on this one. We saw no other hikers for an hour and had the area to ourselves. And the views out to the ocean were wonderful.

Back to the car and now having a well deserved lunch. It's sunny here by the beach and we'll be ready for some R & R.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Here..part 7

Loving your tr's, nesdog. We leave on Thursday for Kauai, and will be on Maui on the 19th--your reports are making me wish the trip would get here sooner! Save some sunshine for us <G>

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
48,060 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Here..part 7

Aloha,

Yep, a muggy morning! No wind to speak of either, but nice and clear by late morning.

The red headed birds are a variety of cardinal. They're pretty cute (even Nick doesn't mind them!!).

Glad you've had another nice day so far!

Socal
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Here..part 7

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_1556.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_1555.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_1554.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_1553.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_1560.jpg

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,117 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Here..part 7

Love the pics...we don't go ANYWHERE without water! So,sw, Nick only has it in for the poor mynas! HA We love those little cardinals, they always join us on the lanai!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
48,060 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Here..part 7

Aloha,

The pics are great!!

Mamma.....Nick doesn't like the egrets or the pigeons either.........but the mynahs do take #1 hate (out of birds).

What's for dinner tonight, Nesdog???

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,136 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Here..part 7

Loving the reports with pic. Waiting for tomorrow...

San Diego...
Level Contributor
142 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Here..part 7

Nesdog, keep those daily reports and pics coming! I'm heading to Napili next month and plan to check out the Kapalua hiking paths. Love the photos!

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Here..part 7

My wife loves the little red heads. We'll go through a big bag of bird seed during the time we stay.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,536 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Here..part 7

Aloha,

The dark red is the male and the brownish red is the female. They like to hang together also.

You might get lucky and see the one that it's whole body is red.

Aloha

Socal
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Here..part 7

Dinner tonight...Cool Cat Cafe....It's really nice that my wife puts together these meals but it's not fair that she has to do that on vacation. So we like to get out a few times.

SDPam: if you want to do the hikes, print out the .pdf files on the Kapalua Adventures website. They no longer provide maps to visitors. The start of the trails can be found by going up Highway 30 to Office Rd. Left on Office and go one block or so. You'll see a small sign for Kapalua Adventures on the right. The concierge inside can direct you to the trail head. You access them via a golf cart track on the active golf course.

Think after dinner we need to have more shave ice!