We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please look at this list..am i missing anything?

California
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
Please look at this list..am i missing anything?

First time to Hawaii.. Going mid September for 10 days and looking to see the standard tourist stuff as well as some much needed relaxation time. This is a tenative day by day, but depending on mood and weather may deviate from plan. My question to you all is....Does this look like I hit the big stuff? Did I over scheudle our days? Is there any acttivity I really have to book before we get there?

DAY 1 (KIHEI) South Maui

Arrive around 9pm

Check into Village of the Sea AKA- Kauhale Kakai Condo

DAY 2 (KIHEI) South Maui

1. Grocery Shop

2. Kamole Beach Parks

3. Wailea Beach (Coast Walk)

DAY 3 (Road to Hana) East Maui

Waimoku Falls -Hana Lava Tubes- Oheo Gulch

wai'anapanapa Beach (Black Sand Beach)

Kaihalulu Beach -(Red Sand Beach)

DAY 4 (Haleakal National Park) East Maui

1. Haleake Creater (sp?) at sunrise or sunset

Ride a horse down crater to floor.

DAY 5 (Molokini) South Maui

Book Snorkle Cruise to Molokini

DAY 6 Lahaina (West Maui)

1. Banyan Tree Park

2. Front street Lahaina

3. Lahaina Harbor

4. Lahaina Herratage Museum

5. Hale Kahiko (If time)

DAY 7 (Kaanapalli) West Maui

Move to Kaanapalli Beach Club

1. Walk the beach in Kaanapali one of the best beaches

2. Luau @ Sherraton Black Rock "Ka'anapali Sunset Lu'au

3. Whalers Village (If time)

DAY 8 (Napili) to (Nakalele) West Maui

1. Kaapalua Bay (Beach) see the tide pools

2. Makalua- Puna Point (Dragons Teeth)

3. Slaughterhouse Beach

4. Two -Tierd Pools of Honolua Bay (go for a snorkel)

5. Nakalele Blowhole (with respect for the ocean of course)

6. Olvine Pools

DAY 9 "UNDECIDED"

Helicopter Ride

IOA Valley State park

Kahului Shops

Pa'ia

Kula

Day 10 -- Home--

Any sugestions?

Sutherlin, Oregon
Level Contributor
206 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please look at this list..am i missing anything?

Your itinerary is way to busy in my opinion. I plan 1 thing when I go and just enjoy the beach the rest of the time. swim snorkel and just lay around. I know everyone is different but cut it at least in half and enjoy Maui the rest of the time.

Modesto
Level Contributor
460 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Please look at this list..am i missing anything?

On day 6 you are going to explore Lahaina, drive back to Kihei, then move to Kaanapali on day 7,,??

Lahaina is only a few miles from Kaanapali area, in fact, it's kind of all considered the same area. No need to drive to Lahaina, then back to Kihei, just explore Lahaina after you've moved over to the west side.

I would also re-arrange your two traveling days so you have relax days in between. You have beach day 2, then do Hana, then do Molokini (book for the morning, then spend the rest of the day on shore beaches or pool),,,in other words,,relaxing,,then do Halealaka the next day. On the last day in south Maui, maybe explore the beaches on the southern end,,Big Beach, Makena, Ahihi Cove, La Perouse Bay. Get some snorkeling in from shore.

On the west side,,,,Napili Bay is where the tide pools are,,on the south end of the bay at low tide. It is right next to Kapalua Bay,,separated only by the Napili Kai resort.

Dragons Teeth is considered sacred and visitors are discouraged from going there,,there is a sign posted that explains it.

As your vacation progresses, you will have a better feel for what or how much (if any) you want to do,,

Above all, take a deep breath, smell the flowers and feel the warm breezes, and you will melt into "Maui time"!

Wilmette, Illinois
Level Contributor
513 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please look at this list..am i missing anything?

Deedas has some good suggestions, I'm an owner at KBC so if you have any questions about the facilities there feel free to PM me.

Reviewing your itinerary, it's full. So long as you won't be mad at yourself to say ef it, I'm chillin or taking a detour you should be fine. Don't test yourself every day, enjoy Maui, you'll be back.

Chicago
Level Contributor
549 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please look at this list..am i missing anything?

I think your itinerary is good. I like having activities planned, but then again, I am not someone to just lay on the beach all day. I bet you won't actually get to everything but at least you have written it down and you won't spend your time saying "what's the plan for today?" the only other thing I actually plan is where to eat some meals, but I like to ensure nothing gets missed!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,355 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please look at this list..am i missing anything?

Well it's far, far too busy for me but you know your style. Just make this a list of things you would like to do and don't beat yourself up if you don't get it all done...there is no one at the departure gate with a check-list.

One of our favorite things is deciding over morning coffee what is calling to us for the day.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please look at this list..am i missing anything?

If this is your first trip to Maui, you do need a plan. I agree that Lahaina is so close to Ka'anapali - you can bip back and forth easily...no need to drive from South Maui.

Chicago
Level Contributor
549 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please look at this list..am i missing anything?

I think for a first time visitor, its harder to do the fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants type trip when there are so many things to do and so many things that you sort of need to do at specific times (snorkel trips to Molokini, sunrise/sunset, which days have activities going on in which part of the island) and then figuring in where you should be staying (hotel wise) for the most convenience. I know you can drive to everything but who wants to spend their days driving back and forth? Maybe I'm just too much into logistics! Trip 3 and I still have an itinerary! :)

Level Contributor
35,471 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please look at this list..am i missing anything?

Looks ambitious but fun! Kapalua and Napili Bay are both awesome places to snorkel, you may want to plan for that at those beaches. DT Fleming is another nice beach, there is a lifeguard tower there.

Aloha and enjoy your time on Maui! :)

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please look at this list..am i missing anything?

I like having a plan for every other day and then snorkeling or whatever on the off days. I have friends who like to go go go on vacation and I understand that. Me, I like a little rest and relaxation. Just know if you only get through half of your list and found the perfect beach that you keep going back to, you can come back. I'm assuming you are from California. Flights can get really cheap and accommodations can be had at bargain prices on vrbo so just enjoy.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,448 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please look at this list..am i missing anything?

A bit ambitious but then, it's your vacation!! I too would go to Lahaina when staying in Kaanapali.

On your Hana journey, be aware the red sand beach is a difficult hike, some say through private property (watch for Kapu signs) means no trespassing and the beach there is clothing optional.

The Kamaole Beaches are nice but there are other beaches in Wailea and Makena that are nicer. Take some time for them!! Ulua and Maluaka are the main ones!!

The olivine pools are nice also, but can be very dangerous. Enter at your own risk.

Dragons Teeth is not advised, here's the latest on that.

tripadvisor.com/…34438732

Never heard of the two tiered pools at Honolua Bay. Great snorkeling in the bay though.

Edited: 13 August 2011, 19:12