We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mom and Son going to Maui

Colorado
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Mom and Son going to Maui

Hi All,

I am planning a trip to Maui for Dec 2011 with my 7 year old son. I am considereing the Westin Hotel & Spa or the Westin Villas. Which has the best beach? Calmest? So I don't have to be to worried about him playing in the ocean without me hovering over him every minute.

Thanks for your opinons in advance.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mom and Son going to Maui

With a kid that age, I would choose the villas. The ocean conditions are going to change daily so you may have to hover regardless of where you stay. If your son is a good swimmer, great, you'll still need to keep and eagle eye on him and watch for sneaker waves or any unusual currents developing.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
549 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mom and Son going to Maui

When I have traveled solo with our son to oahu and maui I must admit I do hover. I grew up by the ocean so I have a healthy 'fear' of it. I pretty much act like a kid myself when with my son...building sandcastles, chasing the waves lapping up. When the water is calm, then we go further in. He's still a bit nervous of snorkeling and he's 10 now and a very good swimmer. He loves boogie boards, even if he's not far out. I'm sorry, I haven't stayed at the Westin Resorts myself, but I just wanted to say...have fun!!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mom and Son going to Maui

I would choose the Villas for sure. What a kick! Have a great time.

Make sure to reserve your car in advance.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,353 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mom and Son going to Maui

Yup..go with the Villas! Much more room for both of you and the kitchen seals the deal. To be honest...time to stop hovering and just start watching!

Tell him to never turn his back on the ocean...both places can have nasty currents depending on the day. But both are wonderful beaches for kids!...The Villas have gret pools!

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
350 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mom and Son going to Maui

I think you might want to consider the Sheraton another Starwood property on Kaanipali Beach instead of the Westin.

As the beach there has a lava point, it protects the beach and offers great beginning snorkeling and has a great pool area.

It is called Black Rock and used be King Kamamaha's I and the Royal Hawaiiaan family's private beach.

If your son knows how to swim it is a great place to learn how to snorkel.

My daughter started her water career there many years ago. One look with a dive mask at the fish and she was hooked.

The Sheraton is a great Hotel in the best location.

Aloha gmc

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,750 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mom and Son going to Maui

Oceans are usually calmer in South Maui in winter months, but weather should be fine anywhere from Kahana on south through Wailea/Makena.

Are you talking about coming over the Christmas holidays? This is a VERY busy season. Got your car reserved? Don't wait long to book everything! (If you are coming before Christmas holidays, you'll find very low rates and plenty of availability.)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,432 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mom and Son going to Maui

The villa's are great but the best, most consistent ocean conditions will be found in south Maui in December. You may want to either look at places there or travel down there for ocean fun!!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
52,465 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mom and Son going to Maui

Aloha,

GMC......I don't know where your info comes from about Pu'u Keka'a (Black Rock), but it's wrong.

Hawaiian royalty lived in Lahaina for many years. There were parts of the beach in town that were normally reserved for royal usage, but even that was only done from respect.

One must remember that the ancient Hawaiians had no concept of property "ownership". The Ali'i were the stewards for ALL the land and the people. So even as people did not 'hang out' in certain places, they were not per se "banned". (This would not include heiau, though--as those were temples and had very, very strict rules.)

Kahekili was Maui's last chief, and it was he who made Pu'u Keka'a famous, for leaping into the otherworld, as the Hawaiians believed that lay below in the water.

Other tidbits about Kaanapali include that it was the site of a very gory battle and that it had a horse racing track.

Edited: 15 August 2011, 20:18
United States
Level Contributor
2,587 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mom and Son going to Maui

I don't think Sheraton would be very fun for a kid. They have a cool pirate pool at the other Westin, not villas, right?

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mom and Son going to Maui

The Westin Resort has a separate children's pool-they have a total of 5 pools.