We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bringing jewelry to maui a bad idea?

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
bringing jewelry to maui a bad idea?

Any suggestions, words of wisdom?

United States
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bringing jewelry to maui a bad idea?

I personally want to be carefree in Maui. I usually go without most of my makeup there too! However, everyone is different. Most hotels have an in room safe-check if your's does. I just wear my wedding ring.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bringing jewelry to maui a bad idea?

More stuff to worry about!

Plus people do not care what you look like. They're never going to see you again. If you do want adornment, things like shell necklaces and earrings have that island feel and don't beckon to thieves like gold. Gold is so hot right now, I would not bring it.

Better yet, bring nothing, and support local artisans by buying something from inexpensive to high end while you're here.

There are people who make good money with metal detectors at the beaches, recovering lost jewelry. Not for the people who lost it, as salvagers.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,707 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bringing jewelry to maui a bad idea?

Skip it. You can't wear it through the metal detector, and it's just one more thing to worry about. If you must bring jewelry make it something simple; that's island style, anyway.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,571 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bringing jewelry to maui a bad idea?

Nothing that beeps, boops, sparkles or runs on batteries except a camera. Take a break from your normal life a bit and just relax.

The only jewelry we take our our weddings rings and they usually end up in the room safe so we won't lose them when snorkeling.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,349 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bringing jewelry to maui a bad idea?

I take my jewelry...I wear my jewelry...I buy more jewelry!! ;-)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
211 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bringing jewelry to maui a bad idea?

1. I don't take any.

2. I tell hubby "Oh no, I forgot my jewelery bag!"

3. Hubby takes me shopping for missing jewelry items.

4. Hubby chuckles behind my back. . .

. . . . after 22 years, he knows me well.

;)

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bringing jewelry to maui a bad idea?

Too funny!

Being a guy, I don't feel qualified to render advice...so I asked my Wife. Her answer was 85% positively correlated to that of mama0233. We are reasonably cautious; taking advantage of available safe deposit boxes & not leaving anything unattended in cars/condos/on the beach etc...and having everything covered on a homeowners insurance rider.

Btw, in response to economic conditions (below zero inflation adjusted interest rates in particular), we are taking several near-duplicate pieces to Hawaii for trade in next visit. Same approach earlier this year produced savings more than double "melt value".

One of the reasons we keep returning to Hawaii, year-after-year, is that it feels like home; really wonder if there are any reliable loss statistics on the issue of taking jewelry on vacation as opposed to leaving it at home (unless one takes it to their safe deposit box): Don't know...just looking for input.

P.S. If at all possible, I'm going to prevent my better-half from seeing the response of SnorlelKitty!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,349 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bringing jewelry to maui a bad idea?

Well beaches...I did quite a lot for the island economy last year after a break-in here at home! Sadly some couldn't be replaced...

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bringing jewelry to maui a bad idea?

I take more than I wear. Does that make sense?? I have "Hawaii" jewelry: gold plumeria earrings and necklace, blue opal heart and earrings ... a few things that I always take. Standard pearl earrings. Wedding ring. Not much, though - mostly items that were actually purchased in Hawaii over the years. For some reason, DH loved to buy me jewelry in Hawaii. Oh, that alola spirit!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bringing jewelry to maui a bad idea?

A sincere "sorry 'bout that" mama; been years ago, but we were robbed while on a short trip; house felt creepy for quite some time & still think about it every once in awhile.

Not much of a shopper, but love scouting for Hawaiian critter jewelry. Inventory is getting pretty close to complete, but not giving up until I find a yellow gold Coqui Froggie pendant. (One more year of frustration & I'm getting a Maui jeweler named Adam Fox to do one.)

http://www.adamfoxjewelry.com/

Edited: 17 August 2011, 15:56