We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which way to book room?

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
which way to book room?

Is it more advantageous to book condo through

on site management?

Or owner?

Thank You

washington state
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which way to book room?

I have used VRBO many times in many states and have never had a bad experience. You get the unit that you see in the pictures and you communicate with the owner themselves. Downside is if you don't like the unit on arrival there is not much you can do, but in the 10 times I have booked through VRBO I have never been disappointed.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,926 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: which way to book room?

Best of both worlds is to book direct from an owner who employs a local agency. You want a full service company on call if you have any problems at the condo.

Look at the bottom of the VRBO ad to see how long this owner has been renting the condo. Read the guest comments for authenticity. Ask the owner every question you might have -- you'll get a feel for the situation.

It's true that you won't be able to ask to be moved, but no agency HAS to move you -- and in high season they are unlikely to have anything *better* available. You'll almost always save by renting direct, but the major benefit, IMO, is you know exactly what you're getting. An agency will assign you at random to a generic "1 BR Ocean View in X Complex". There are few new complexes; you want one that an owner keeps refurbished.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
235 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which way to book room?

We have booked through quam properties as opposed the the condo resort and it cam in quite bit cheaper. The cleaning fee is waived and so was the daily resort fee. There seem to be a few management companies you could look into to to compared prices. Again like said above...I know the exact unit number I am getting. hopefully it all goes smoothly as we have never been before and usually book hotels for ou travels. Good luck!

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which way to book room?

Renting through an Owner directly or smaller outside management company you also often get other "extras" in the unit like beach chairs, umbrella, cooler, boogie boards, etc. These are very convenient to have and will save you money from buying them when you get there or renting them. The other big money savers (like mentioned above) are that renting from the owner, you usually pay a lower nightly rate and no resort fees.

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which way to book room?

Pros and cons to both but I, too, have come to prefer local management companies. As always, do your research. Many, like Chase N Rainbows, are recommended by these forums regularly. I still like to book my exact unit.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which way to book room?

Like Chase n rainbows, Kaanapali Beachfront Properties as local booking agencies.

Would not book any VRBO that does not have emergency 24 hours

maintenance or local representative. We really hit problems twice

with not having these services.

Also look at packages with the larger agencies like Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays.

When I worked at a front desk I found that every client has different preferences. Someone would turn down a room that the next guest absolutely loved. So there is an advantage to being able to be moved to a different room.

Saratoga, CA
Level Contributor
656 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which way to book room?

I'm not nit-picking and I mean no disrespect, but I think it may be Kaanapali Beach Properties (or Kaanapali Beach Rentals - their rental division) that you're referring to. I'm only pointing it out so others won't have a problem if doing a web search.

Many VRBO listings DO have 24 hour management that take care of the listed properties, even though you are booking with the owner.

Curt

Edited: 20 August 2011, 02:52
8. Re: which way to book room?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 14:18