We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best food for the plane

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Best food for the plane

Where is the best spot to pick up some dinner for the flight back to the mainland out of OGG? Staying near Lahaina but thinking I should probably get something closer to the airport. It's to eat on the plane not before the flight. Don't want to offend my seat neighbors with anything too smelly or too messy. Thanks!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,273 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best food for the plane

Unless you want to be ripped apart by TSA wait until you are IN the terminal...Starbucks there has some great sandwiches and scones/cakes.

We usually just have a quick meal in the cafe there..kills some time. Then we pick up some snacks on the way down the concourse. There are several places.

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best food for the plane

we do the same as mamma and it's a heck of a lot easier than having to lug even more stuff around thru the airport.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best food for the plane

I would get a turkey sandwich, hold the onions... or go very light. usually something hot or oniony/garlicy can be pretty offensive smelling on that tin can we call our transportation. You can probably pick one up on the way to the airport or at the airport. Def buy your drink at the airport or TSA will be doing a cavity search on you and any grandmothers that might be in the vicinity.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best food for the plane

Maybe I should clarify. I'm looking for the best place to pick up food for the plane. I can handle the lugging and dealing with TSA. Looking for a good spot to pick up a sandwich or something else portable but delicious. It's a long flight and I don't want airport/airplane food.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,397 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best food for the plane

Whole Foods is just minutes from the airport on Ka'ahumanu Ave. They have a deli section. We leave from Kihei and stop at the Safeway Deli. I carry a small soft lunch size cooler bag to put our food in. I just have to remember to throw away the ice cubes in the a ziplock bag as I get to TSA.

Marco's is close by,they make good sandwiches.

Edited: 20 August 2011, 05:14
Wilmette, Illinois
Level Contributor
513 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best food for the plane

We always just go with subway, there's not that much different with the local food that this won't do in terms of a sandwhich.

Now flying back from Chicago, gotta have a Giordano's deep dish pizza, TSA knows better than to mess with that.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best food for the plane

I like to do the same thing. I have picked up a subway sandwich before and didn't have any problems with getting it through the airport. There is also a Quizno's on Dairy road right before you get to the airport.

The only complaints I ever heard on the plane was "That's a great idea! I wish I would have thought of that! or Can I buy that sandwich from you?"

Cliff bars come in handy too! My favorite is the white chocolate mac nut.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best food for the plane

On the way over, we kept our collapsible cooler cold with frozen scones wrapped in plastic wrap...they acted like ice for cooling without being an issue at security (not a liquid or gel) and as they thawed slowly we kept our sandwiches and deli salads cold in the insulated bag and then we had scones later in the day! Could probably do the same with biscuits or cookies.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best food for the plane

Mygirls.... I posted this same question on your TR but this seems like a more appropriate place to ask.

So let me get this right....you can actually pack a soft sided cooler full of food (not liquid of course) and take it through security??? I thought you would get your food opened up and gone through. Huh, learn something new every day :-)

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
438 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best food for the plane

We always pack our own food for the plane. I usually pack sandwiches, burritos or pasta. I've never had a problem with security, and other passengers are often jealous.