We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hawaian music

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
hawaian music

I saw a thread about you know your addicted when you go home and listen to hawaiian music all the time..

Well I threw a hula party for my daughter last year and downloaded my grandmothers record of Don Ho live at the polynesian centre onto a ipod.. Tiny Bubbles.. lol ..

Threw in some jimmy buffet as it was island feel as I didnt know of any hawaiian popular artists.

What would your top songs or artists be that we could download for our family to get into the the countdown excitement to Hawaii ?vacation!

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
948 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hawaian music

Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,728 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hawaian music

Aloha,

Take a wander through this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28932-i36-k455762…

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,914 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hawaian music

There have been lots of excellent threads on Hawaiian music. Search the Kauai and Maui Forums for starters.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hawaian music

Anything by the Beamer brothers, or Hapa, those are my fav's

Nebraska
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: hawaian music

I'll second Hapa.

Lion's Head, Canada
Level Contributor
461 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hawaian music

Willy K does some nice stuff..... contemporary, traditional, and just about everything in between.

San Clemente, CA
Level Contributor
272 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hawaian music

Do you have access to Pandora?

If you don't know what it is, you can PM me and I will explain.

I have several "hawaiian radio stations" on there. They aren't really radio, they are channels you create based on an artist. I get exposed to some great music just by picking an artist and letting it pick similar artists.

I have...(that are hawaiian)

Israel Kamakawiwo`ole

Hapa

Makaha Sons Of Ni`ihau

Amy Hanaiali`i

Commercials are almost non existant

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
534 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hawaian music

I will third for Hapa and Keola Beamer, like maryann says.

Braddah Iz, Dennis Kamakahi, George Kahumoku, Richard Ho'opi'i, Genoa Keawe, These are some of my favorites.( I also like Te Vaka, who are Polynesian.)

There are some Hawaiian radio stations that have live streaming. You can listen a bit and get familiar with some of the contemporary artists that are popular.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
534 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hawaian music

Also, if you have AOL, there is a Hawaiian "radio station" listed under World Music that you can listen to. Possibly similar to what post #7 is referrring to. They name everthing you are hearing and you can get familiar with the names of the musicians and singers.

pa
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: hawaian music

i like to listen to KPOA @ http://www.kpoa.com/ it's nice to hear what is going on when we are wishing we were there.