We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zip Lines

Dallas
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Zip Lines

How physically fit do you need to be to do this. I'm 65 yrs old and in good health, but think this may be a but much. Any comments on what to expect would be appreciated. I understand from checking the sites that you have to be able to hike half a mile and carry 15 lbs. I can do that. I'm concerned about the zipline itself and the force with which it stops.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,466 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zip Lines

Here's a pretty good overview of the Maui zip-lines... hawaiimagazine.com/blogs/hawaii_today/2010/5…

If you punch "zip-lines" into the search engine above you'll get more personal experiences from TR's...use the quote marks.

My crew has done it and really enjoyed it...not for me with my fear of heights and a bad knee...or two! HA They look like they all educate you on how to control descent and not come in too "hot"!

Calgary
Level Contributor
722 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zip Lines

We did one last February with our kids and we are in our late 50's and had no problems at all. Thinking about doing another one this winter.

Just a tip: we went fairly early in the morning before it got too hot.

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zip Lines

I recently ziplined in Kapalua and thought it was great. There was one man in our group who had to be at least 65, seemed in good shape, and had no problem at all. I think as long as you are in OK condition, you will have no issues.

rjf
LA
Level Contributor
221 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zip Lines

We did the zip lines in Haleakala a couple of years ago. Very little hiking is required and it is pretty easy hiking. As far as the stops, they have a guide to help slow you down for the landing. Give it a try it was a blast.

New York
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zip Lines

If you are reasonably fit, I do not think it would be a problem. The hardest part is coming to a stop when you near the landing...so if you have knee problems, or back problems, you might not want to do this. But the actual ziplining is fun and does not strain your back, etc....

Blackwood, New...
Level Contributor
414 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zip Lines

I did Eco Adventure. No problem. I bring defective 64 yr old knees and a titanium hip. Walking in minimal.

Morris County, NJ
Level Contributor
698 posts
1,002 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zip Lines

We are going on the zip lines next month and we did a little try out at a zipline near us to make sure it was for us. We spent about $60 for two runs each, rather than the hundreds that it costs on Maui. Just in case we did not like it, we would not be out that much. When we went on the zip lines,as soon as we got to the bottom of the run, my wife and I looked at each other and said that we have to do it again. We now know whats involved and cant wait to do the runs on Maui.

Wilmette, Illinois
Level Contributor
513 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zip Lines

There was a 70+ yo couple our last trip. They thought of themselves as active people and they handled it great. No word on how they felt the next morning though.

9. Re: Zip Lines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 07:18