We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking West Maui?

Toronto
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking West Maui?

hello all,

My wife and I will be in Maui shortly for 2 weeks i have researched everything pretty well but I am having trouble with one thing. We are in our thirties and in good shape.

I really want to go on a long difficult hike and really want to explore areas that aren't normally traveled by large tour groups but also learn about the island so would prefer to have a guide.

I don't really want to do too much on the east side and RTH since I want to make that a separate trip and stay in hana overnight on another trip.

It seems like to tour companies are very expensive for a full day hike considering we don't need a bus since we have a car and could meet at the trail hear but that isn't a deal breaker. As well everything seems to be a long drive from Kannapali taking away time to be hiking.

Any suggestions? Other then hiking ourselves?

Trilogy Excursions
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours
Redline Rafting Co.
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
Valley Isle Excursions
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking West Maui?

Aside of the Pipiwai trail on the eastern (Hana) side, which is a somewhat long, wonderfully amazing, but not seriously challenging hike, I've only done the Lahaina Pali trail. It's~5 miles long and zigzags up and over the dry West Maui Mountains, connecting Ma'alaea to Lahaina. I'm not a physical specimen, but in pretty good shape & this was moderately challenging.

My suggestions other than the above would be to check Hike Maui's site for further info. Very highly rated company with mega experience - http://www.hikemaui.com/

Toronto
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking West Maui?

i spoke to them and they said that they no longer do anything in West maui do to government regulations and they only have moderate hikes to apeal to the mases, which is certainly understandable.

I was thinking of going to Waihe'e ridge?

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking West Maui?

That should be a nice moderate hike, probably about the same distance as the Pali trail, but perhaps a bit steeper. I think you'll traverse Puu Kukui, the dormant volcano, which should provide some amazing views -- flew over it in a 'copter, but never done the hike.

Have you considered going upcountry? - Haiku up through Kula/Makawao? I would bet that there is some amazing off path terrain up there!

Edited: 10 September 2011, 21:37
Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,735 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking West Maui?

The Kapalua Resort area has many miles of hiking trails that you can do on your own. The Coastal Trail for Kapalua Bay over to DT Flemming Beach is flat and easy and beautiful. But if you want to really escape, head up the Village Trails. These are on the old Village Golf course that was abandoned 7 or 8 years ago and has been allowed to grow back naturally. In many places you'll be hiking on what's left of the old cart paths. Some of the trails can be strenuous but at the top you are rewarded with a lovely lake (take bread crumbs to feed the ducks) and some spectacular views out towards Molokai and Lanai. Here's a link where you can get more details and download pdf maps of all the trails systems in Kapalua...

kapalua.com/index.php…

Troutdale, Oregon
Level Contributor
357 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking West Maui?

We hiked the Waihe'e Ridge trail in August. It's 5 miles round trip and this is a hike not a walk. It's pretty much up hill with switch backs the whole way. We are in pretty good shape and still stopped a couple of times. I was thankful our parents, (70's), didn't try to do this hike. I don't think they would have made it.

We really enjoyed this hike. It has gorgeous views. It would have been nice to have a little more information regarding our surroundings once we got to the top. We were curious about the elevation. If you go, go early and take plenty of water and a lunch. Also, we only passed three people on the way up, but once we were finished, several people were just arriving.

Here's some photos of the hike.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

We also hiked the Pipiwai Trail. Loved that one as well. Different hikes, Waihe'e was far more difficult.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking West Maui?

We did hikes in the Kapalua area last month. If you want to, you can start at the golf course and head up into the hills, roughly 5 miles, I believe. They do have a shuttle that can take you all the way up however at the top it's only shorter hikes.

Do the Cardio Trail at the golf course...you'll get some workout, especially if it's humid.

Toronto
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking West Maui?

thank you all very much I will take a look at all of your suggestions and let you know what we thought..... I think the Kapalua area was always on our radar but I didn't realize that there were proper hiking trails.

I am really looking forward to the Waihe'e Ridge.... should be a blast and I will try to get there as early as possible.

Chicago suburbs
Level Contributor
44 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking West Maui?

I would second the recommendation for the Kapalua resort trails. In addition to the village trails, there is a 7 mile (one-way) hike that you can do on the Mahana Ridge and Honolua Ridge trails, which go from DT Fleming Beach Park to the Manalei arboretum. This is definitely the trail for you if you are looking for solitude. We did this trail a few days ago, and we saw one other person the entire time we were on the trail.

The resort has a free shuttle that goes from the Kapalua resort center (off of office road) to the Manalei arboretum, where you can start out on the Honolua Ridge trail. This trail is 1.25 miles, mostly uphill, and I would rate it as easy to moderate (about 300 foot gain in elevation). The Honolua Ridge trail connects to the Mahana Ridge trail (at 1600 feet elevation), which goes 5.75 miles back to sea level (DT Fleming Beach) at the Kapalua resort. The trail has some great views, and there are several side trails that you can explore as well if you want a longer hike.

If you start at the Manalei arboretum, the Mahana Ridge trail is mostly flat or downhill, so it's pretty easy. However, if you start from DT Fleming, you will hike up from the coast to an elevation of 1600 feet, so it would be a much more difficult hike. Once you get to the Manalei arboretum, you can either turn around and hike back (another 7 miles), or you can take the resort shuttle back.

The shuttle leaves Kapalua at 9:30, 11:30, and 1:30 every day, and leaves Manalei arboretum at 9:50, 11:50, and 1:50. They recommend that you call ahead for reservations for the shuttle (we called an hour before we wanted to leave). Have fun!

Edited: 11 September 2011, 18:49
Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking West Maui?

Plenty of great hikes in West Maui:

Waihe'e Ridge

Waihe'e Valley -- AKA: swinging bridges is closed :(

'Iao Valley, Wailuku

Mahana Ridge Trail, Kapalua

Pertroglyphs Trail, Lahaina

Lahaina Pali -- AKA: windmills [Lahaina means "cruel sun" wear sunblock, bring hat]

You can also try: MauiHikes.org (shameless plug).

All good responses above! Aloha and happy hiking!

10. Re: Hiking West Maui?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 02:16