We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pride of America

Boston...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Pride of America

Hi,

Can you help us make the most of our too short time in Maui?(arrive about 8am, overnight stay then depart about 6pm next day.

We are a family of 4 (our girls are in their early 20's) who will be in Maui in January via the cruise ship Pride of America.

We will have a rental car both days.

Precruise stay in Honolulu for 7 days which will include some beach time, so probably don't need a beach day in Maui.

We would like to go on a whale watch tour, attend the Old Lahaina Luau(already have tickets),and explore Lahaina.

We do not want to be in the car long enough for Road to Hana, but we'd like to see some pretty coastal views/lush greenery. I've read about driving up HWY 30 in West Maui towards Kaanapali,beyond Kapaula towards Honolua for nice views. Can anyone give any additional info/specifics/good viewing areas, or other recommendations?

We aren't into "rush/rush", but want to enjoy what little time we have here.

Next day, (but not sunrise), we will drive Upcountry area to Haleakala,and also see Iao Valley.

Thanks in advance!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,343 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pride of America

Looks like a very good basic plan! I'd look at the Trilogy Whale Watch that leaves from Lahaina Harbor...if you can be first off the ship you could easily get your car and make the 10am 2 hour tour. Then head up 30 to Honolua or even up to the blowhole stopping at the overlooks...turn around and stop at DT Fleming if you wish. You could then swing into Whaler's Village for lunch at Hula Grill or Leilani's and finish up with a walk down Front Street in Lahaina before check-in at OLL.

Feel free to rearrange or shuffle any of the above advice..i.e walk Lahaina before heading north, skip Fleming or Whaler's Village. Just a suggested guideline.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,346 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pride of America

The Honoapiilani Hwy (30), is a great drive, just make sure you don't go too far. It turns into the Kahekili Hwy where it gets pretty crazy just a little past the blowhole. After that, all the major rental car companies prohibit you from driving any further. There is a sign that says something like State Hwy. that is where you want to turn around. Great scenery and lushness abound in the west Maui mountains!!

After visiting the summit of Haleakala, stay upcountry, the drive to Tedeschi Vineyards is absolutely gorgeous. You could also check out the Surfing Goat Dairy or the lavender farm.

Boston...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pride of America

mama and msfuzz,

Thanks for the restaurant and road information, it's Exactly what I was looking for!

I have looked into Trilogy Whalewatch, but they do not have Sunday open on their internet calender(for our time). I'll call them, but do your have a 2nd choice for this?

And thanks again for your advice.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
52,136 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pride of America

Aloha,

Usually--almost *****always****--POA docks in Kahului, though!

So Lahaina Harbor will be about 45 minutes away........and the Kaanapali boats that leave later (e.g. 10 to 11) are picnic snorkel trips, so that won't work too well with the OLL afterwards. I would just go ahead and get the car, wander over to the West side & play as suggested (minus WW).

The second day, you could try for an early whale watch out of Maalaea Harbor--then go do Haleakala and Upcountry. Maalaea Harbor is about 20 minutes from the Kahului Harbor where POA docks, and you will already have your car and some idea of where things are.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,343 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pride of America

Actually sw Trilogy has a "new" 10am whale watch listed on their site for this winter! I just checked it out today

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,136 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pride of America

But they don't do all their trips on Sunday, Mamma!

Boston...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pride of America

sw,

Yes, the whale watch from Maalaea Harbor for "early tour" may work(if my family doesn't rebel, as I've promised to be good about not pushing them too hard on this vacation) but...Trilogy lists only 1:30 time from there.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,136 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pride of America

Aloha,

Check Paragon Charters, they're also very good. If you're up for a more adventurous ride, check out Blue Water Rafting out of Kihei.

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pride of America

You will see great coastal views on your way to Lahaina no matter what.

I'ao Valley anf the short road to it will be lush.

10. Re: Pride of America

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 11:16