We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bamboo Forest hike

Level Contributor
591 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bamboo Forest hike

Have always wanted to do the bamboo forest hike in Hana area. We will be traveling with our almost 3 year old. Is this hike to hard/dangerous for our family?

Alberta
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bamboo Forest hike

We went in April 2010 and it was beautiful, but if I remember it might be pretty tough for a 3 year old. A lot was on paths cut out of the forest with boardwalks that got very slippery when they were damp. Wear good shoes!

Don't forget your camera:)....Also lots of rocky up and down paths I think. We were racing because we started too late in the day and were trying to get to the end to see the waterfall, and back before it was too late to drive home. I wished we had started earlier so we could have enjoyed it more.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bamboo Forest hike

I still watch my video of our walk through where all you hear is the bamboo hitting each other, very cool

Not hard and not dangerous just have common sense.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bamboo Forest hike

We did this hike last June with some friends that have a 3 yr old boy. It's not a difficult hike, but plan to carry your 3 yr old part of the way because of the distance. There are a couple of tricky spots once you get close to the waterfalls at the top of the trail (you have to cross a stream) so be sure to wear good shoes that you don't mind getting wet and dirty.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
23,571 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bamboo Forest hike

Aloha,

The wind makes that bamboo sing.

Aloha

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,778 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bamboo Forest hike

This link shows the bamboo forest. It is about 1/2 mile past Makahiku Falls:

www.hawaii-guide.com/maui/spot/pipiwai_trail

I would not take a 3 year old that far.

There is a smaller bamboo forest (not shown on the map) about 1/2 way before you get to Makahiku Falls. It is along the trail. This would be OK for the three year old.

It is only about 1/2 mile to Makahiku Falls. 1 mile roundtrip.

It is 2 miles to Waimoku Falls. 4 miles roundtrip.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
23,571 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bamboo Forest hike

Aloha,

Wow, great advise for the trip.

As always.

Aloha

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bamboo Forest hike

Is this hike incline gradually or is there a particular area that is more so than another?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bamboo Forest hike

The first part is the most inclined if I remember then its pretty gradual for the rest of the way.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,778 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bamboo Forest hike

I have only been to the first waterfall.

I thought it was an easy hike.

Level Contributor
591 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bamboo Forest hike

Thanks Folks...Dusty, I think we'll take your advice since not sure how long our little dude will last on a HIKE. We've got two nights in Hana area and just want to find short hikes that will awe us all. We were looking forward the sounds of the giant bamboo "singing" to us. Thanks again