We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations and opinions please

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
158 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations and opinions please

We are looking for opinions on where to stay on our first trip to Maui at the beginning of November.

My husband and I will be bringing our 2 kids (7&9) and grandma...so... we are looking for a great pool/pools and hot tub area/scene, preferably heated as I am not sure what the weather is like in Maui in November.

Its also important that we are beachfront on a swimmable beach or at least very very close to a beach so that we can get some snorkelling in. It would be ideal to have an ocean view on a ground floor preferable NOT at a mega resort...and of course all on a budget : )

It would be great to have a kitchen area to cut down on food costs and we will need parking for a rental car.

Can anyone out there recommend a good family place that might meet some/all of these requests?

We have looked at Honua Kai Resort - VERY top end of our budget, Maui Kamaole,

Aston Paki Maui...its all very overwhelming....any opinions from seasoned maui vacationers?

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,348 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui Kamaole
Maui Kamaole
710 Reviews
Maui, HI
Paki Maui Resort
Paki Maui Resort
513 Reviews
Maui, HI
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,880 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations and opinions please

Your request for smaller complexes with a lively pool/hot tub scene are hard to come by...and most pools are unheated because of cost.

The Honua Kai is a large resort but ticks all the other boxes. Also look at the Westin Villas and the Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas. All three are lovely and sit on a wonderful stretch of beach.

Check www.chasenrainbows.com for other west=side condos.

Mentioned in this post
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,348 Reviews
Maui, HI
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali
The Westin Maui Resort...
5,489 Reviews
Maui, HI
Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas
Aston Maui Kaanapali...
1,234 Reviews
Maui, HI
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,098 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations and opinions please

I would look at Napili, look at Napili Kai and the Napili Shore.

Use the link below to look at the hotels.

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mauwestmap.html

Mentioned in this post
Napili Beach
Napili Beach
2,391 Reviews
Maui, HI
Napili Kai Beach Resort
Napili Kai Beach Resort
924 Reviews
Maui, HI
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,167 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations and opinions please

It will still be quite warm in November.

We own at Maui Kamaole. (Not what you need, and we are booked anyway!) The lower pool is heated. The upper pool has a waterfall. There is a jacuzzi and a hot tub. You're across from the Kamaole III beach park and very close to Keawakapu beach. It's family-friendly -- with MANY Canadian guests. lol Parking is free. I like the "1- BR Plus Den" units because they are large and all ground floor. There are several of these near the upper pool. True 2-BR units are townhouse-style, up one flight above the 1-BR's, with MBR and bath on the top level.

If you've never visited Maui, you may want to sightsee Haleakala, Iao Valley and Road to Hana (maybe not RTH with kids if they are prone to motion-sickness). These are more conveniently reached from South Maui than from West Maui. (Look at the map.) I like the Kaanapali area for young adults who want nightlife in Lahaina. Napili and Kapalua are lovely, but put you at a greater distance from Maui's main sights and the airport.

Edited: 24 September 2011, 17:23
Mentioned in this post
Maui Kamaole
Maui Kamaole
710 Reviews
Maui, HI
Keawakapu Beach
Keawakapu Beach
438 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Iao Valley
Iao Valley
98 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,527 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Napili Beach
Napili Beach
2,391 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,968 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations and opinions please

Aloha,

I agree with Scott, look at Napili. Also, I agree with Mamma- and Maui Kaanapali Villas may be more affordable than the Westin Villas.

Stay away from Paki Maui.

Check Papakea and Kaanapali Shores for other options. The beach near these (and Paki Maui) isn't very wide, and has a fair amount of rocks.

Either Napili or MKV/Westin Villas will have better beach for you.

The time difference between Kihei to sights and Kaanapali to sights is about 25 or 30 minutes. It's not a big deal!

Edited: 24 September 2011, 18:53
Mentioned in this post
Napili Beach
Napili Beach
2,391 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,527 Reviews
Maui, HI
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali
The Westin Maui Resort...
5,489 Reviews
Maui, HI
Paki Maui Resort
Paki Maui Resort
513 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations and opinions please

You might want to consider Kamaole Sands in Kihei.

It is a condo resort good for families. We just stayed there with our 2 kids this past summer. It is across the street from a nice sandy beach. Good for swimming in the mornings, and great for boogie boarding in the afternoons. And walking distances to restaurants. A short drive away from Wailea and lots more beach and food choices. It was also easy on the budget. We thought it was very good value and location for our stay.

Mentioned in this post
Kamaole Sands
Kamaole Sands
998 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Vancouver
Level Contributor
44 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations and opinions please

I have the place for you. We just came back from a 2 week stay in Kehei, maui. My husband, myself and two girls ages 11 and 14, rented a two bedroom, two bath, ocean front condo right on the Charley Young Beach. Snorkiling right out front is great. The condo is one of a four condo unit! It has laundry, a well stocked kitchen , a private pool shared by the four units, a secure gated car park,.... etc. It was fantastic. I could not have asked for a better place. Check it out. It's called Hale Ili Ili, Unit C. The owners name is Kathy Englert.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,276 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations and opinions please

You will find you won't get everything you are looking for all in one place. In November the best most consistent ocean conditions will be found in south Maui. Important for snorkeling. Most but not all pools are not heated. The temps will still be warm, in the low to mid 80's with ocean temps in the mid 70's.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
158 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations and opinions please

This looks great! Thanks for taking the time to reply! However, it will only accommodate 4 people and we will have 5 : (

looks really nice though

Vancouver
Level Contributor
44 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations and opinions please

I do believe that they have a pull out couch that one of the kids could sleep on. That might help.

10. Re: Recommendations and opinions please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 00:18