We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer - need advice on what area to stay

V C
Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
First timer - need advice on what area to stay

My husband and I are going to the Big Island for a friend's wedding in late Jan/early Feb and decided to tack another week in Maui. We are not familiar with the different areas in Maui and would like some suggestions on where to stay.

We've been recommended to stay around Kihei because of the value and also less resort focus... We are staying at a hotel when we are on the Big Island (Hapuna Beach hotel). So what we are looking for is probably a place where 1) we can cook (a kitchenette or kitchen); 2) we are walking distance to a nice beach; and 3) a room with a lanai with a bit of an ocean view.

Open to recommendations around Kihei or another area all together. Thanks!

Edited: 26 September 2011, 01:18
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer - need advice on what area to stay

My husband and I stayed at Lahaina Shores and loved it. It's ocean front...and walking distance to all the shops and restaurants on front st in Lahaina. We found our studio unit on VRBO.com. The units have full cooking facilities and guest parking. The beach in front is nice for sunbathing but if you have a rental car there are lots of nice beaches for snorkelling close by. There is also a nice pool and hottub.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,698 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer - need advice on what area to stay

Well you need to do a little research, but quickly! The whales are in town and it's a pretty busy time for us winter-weary mainlanders.

Plug "West vs. South" into the search engine above...use the quote marks and run through the threads.

Just us, but we prefer West Maui in the winter, especially the areas north of Kaanapali Beach. Gotta say that access to that area and Lahaina is another draw.

Check out www.chasenrainbows.com for some true "Oceanfront" condos...that means you may have to walk to a swimmable beach but the whales will put on a show while you enjoy coffee on your lanai.

Also, just a heads up, but Hawaiian Air only offers 1 daily direct flight from KOA to OGG, others route you through Honolulu and that's a pain!

mass
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer - need advice on what area to stay

kihei surfside it sits right on the ocean in south kihei.it has a manicured lawn (like an acre and a half) a pool, and a couple of gas grills. we love to cook out and eat on our lanai while the sun goes down (gettin chicken skin just thinking about it ). and the biggest beach in maui is like 500 ft away.the beach runs all the way to wailea. I think most units are privately owned . every night at sunset the regulars blow their conch shells while having cocktails . we have met a lot of real nice people there. gooing back 30 somethin days cant wait. aloha

mass
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer - need advice on what area to stay

ps you probably need a vacation after that stanley cup series :)

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer - need advice on what area to stay

LOL about Stanley Cup series....as all us Nuck fans are used to saying...there's always next year!!

mass
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer - need advice on what area to stay

we met a real nice couplwe in kihei, from vancouver. we sent some emails during the olympics, after the us beat canada the first game they played, i thought we had it but he said "dont count out canada" . those were two of the best games ever. nice gold medals. congrats on those

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer - need advice on what area to stay

There are not too many direct flights from Hawaii to Maui (OGG). I would try and book that as soon as possible for a time that coordinates with

you Big island latest possible check out time and then it will match

up with your Maui check in time.

I would check for a car and condo package. Lahaina Shores would put you in walking distance of museums, a scenic boat harbor , restaurants and shops/.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timer - need advice on what area to stay

I don't recommend staying in Lahaina. Most vacationers don't stay in Lahaina. Lahaina is not known for beaches. It is a harbor town, full of restaurants, shops, ABC stories, and art galleries. Most people enjoy going there at night time to eat, catch shows, and do some souvenir shopping.

Most people stay in South or West Maui. Kaanapali is a nice sandy beach in West Maui, lined by hotels, condos, and an outdoor mall. If you like the Waikiki beach feel, you might like to stay on Kaanapali beach on West Maui. If you prefer more laid back feel, then stay in Kihei.

In Kihei, there are lots of condos that fit into what you are looking for. You can look into the Maui Banyan, Kamaole Sands, and Maui Kamaole. These are across the street from nice sandy beaches, and are good budget condos. We just stayed at Kamaole Sands this past summer. We enjoyed our stay there.

Then there are Kihei Surfside and Mana Kai on Keawakapu beach in Kihei. I love Keawakapu beach. These are beachfront condos, and are more expensive. But Keawakapu beach is amazing.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,816 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First timer - need advice on what area to stay

Oceans will be calmer in South Maui if you want to snorkel. (Mornings are best.) You should be fine, weather-wise, anywhere from Kahana (West Maui) on south through Makena (South Maui).

We are in S. Kihei every winter. Our complex, Maui Kamaole is usually completely sold out from Christmas to April. ($150 - $200/.night) You need to get your lodgings booked NOW. Same with your rental car. If you want to attend a luau, eat at a special restaurant, take a snorkeling excursion to Lanai (Sure to spot whales on this.)...book now.

I like this site for South Maui condos. I've never seen a 'dog' in these listings: www.mauiownercondos.com

Pueblo, Colorado
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: First timer - need advice on what area to stay

We stayed at the Nona Lani cottages which are out of the hubbub of busy Kihei. They were priced right for our budget and well situated if you want to see whales or sightsee other parts of the island. We tried out all the beaches along this side of the island using the Maui Trailblazer guidebook. Staying in a central location preserved our precious vacation hours. We learned to stay out of the congested areas like Lahaina and left early, like the book said, to hike Hana and Haleakala National Park.