We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photos

San Francisco...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Photos

Where are best scenic photo locations . .or is there a tour recommended to take for photographers including sunrise and or sunset? . .

thanks so much . .I'll be there in two weeks!

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photos

There are so many great places for taking pictures, I'll just mention my favorites and let others go from there. I wouldn't take a tour with a busload of tourists though. If you are serious about photography, you probably already know the best times of day to get great shots. Just hit the road early. I like the very south end of Makena, where the lava meets the ocean and you have these intense contrasts of color between the blue of the ocean meeting up with the black lava, If you head up past Kapalua, to the blow hole, stop at each of the turnouts to get great shots of the coastline.

Sometimes just focusing on the flowers, leaves and little critters just outside your hotel or condo can be an inspiration. And sunset at almost any beach is awesome. I like getting pictures of the light hitting the ocean before sunset.

San Francisco...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Photos

Thank you so much!! . . .appreciate your help!

Suzi

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Photos

Julauf gave you some good starting points; here are a few of my favorites:

Hands down, Haleakala at sunrise. Getting shots as the sun begins to turn the clouds as it comes up makes a great sequence of photos. And I always try to get a sunrise photo looking the other direction where you can get a beautiful shot of the shadow of Haleakala against West Maui.

Keanae Pennisula. The combination of blue sea, white wave foam and jagged black lava makes for some really good shots.

Sunset from the northern overlook of Honolua Bay, facing the channel over to Moloka'i and Lana'i, especially if there are rain showers in the channel.

On the Pipwai Trail, the bamboo forest, any traveling companion posing on the upper bridge over the stream while you snap from the lower bridge, and of course Waimoku Falls themselves.

The hike from La Perouse Bay to the southern tip, especially when the wild goats are running over the lava fields.

I also love to take photos of the picnic tables at Fleming Beach, but that's another story...

San Francisco...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Photos

WOW . . I'm all set!!! Thank you Shankapotamus . . .!!

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Photos

""Where are best scenic photo locations""

Everywhere. Anywhere. Be ready.

You never know when the perfect scene will unfold before you. Sometimes pre-planned photos shoots fall short of expectation.

Rainbows happen. Waterfalls go dry. Flat grey clouds can be boring. Spinner dolphins just show up - unannounced. The scenic opportunities for great photos exist EVERYWHERE.

Shoot often.

Edited: 27 September 2011, 01:47
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,461 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photos

To be honest I really believe that on Maui you can close your eyes, point the camera and shoot and you will have a great pic! There are jaw-dropping vistas everywhere...but take that macro lense for the flowers and geckos!

Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
43 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Photos

Forget photos at sunrise at Haleakala. I've done it 4 or 5 times and definitely won't be doing it this time (I'm on Maui right now). Sure it's great to go up to SEE the sunrise but for a photographer having the sun in front of you is the worst possible thing. The crater is just

dark and you get a blob of light on the horizon. If you want to photograph the

crater in all it's wonderous glory and

color go in the afternoon!

La Perouse for sunset shots is great but after you park walk all the way along the shore, through the wooded area to the

bay where the surfers are and shoot from there. Take a torch though as it will be dark walking back. Wear sneakers and be aware it's a 10-15 min walk.

Edited: 27 September 2011, 10:47
Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Photos

Make sure you have a circular polarizer for your lens. Makes all the difference in capturing the riot of color streaming into your lens.

Grab an underwater P/S for the fishies and also for the beach. The sand will destroy your expensive DSLR. Canon, Pentax, and Olympus have good zoom point and shoots made for underwater and rugged use for around $300.

Blackwood, New...
Level Contributor
414 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Photos

The worst photographer in the world looks like a seasoned professional in Maui. Follow these instructions. Remove lens cap. Turn on camera. Shoot. Wow! What a great picture.

10. Re: Photos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 07:19