We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare to Maui from Chicago, IL

Elburn, Illinois
Level Contributor
201 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Airfare to Maui from Chicago, IL

What is a good price for airfare to Maui and back? It's our 1st trip to Hawaii. We are looking to go around March 14 - 28th. I just found flight for $691 round-trip. Is that good? Should I book or keep looking. Suggestions on where to look for better deal. Huge Thanks!

Karie

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
52,497 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare to Maui from Chicago, IL

Aloha,

Depending on connections (any? one? two?), whether this is all in (taxes & fees too?) that's a very good price, esp. since your time period is Easter/spring vacation time.

Elburn, Illinois
Level Contributor
201 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare to Maui from Chicago, IL

It's 1 stop on way there and 1 stop on the way back. But it was prior to tax so with tax it says it would be $769 per person.

http://www.bookingbuddy.com/tabsearches.php?search_mode=air&ctm=B1A1&source=bbs_farecast_flights_HP_unchecked-box-a_001&departure_city=CHI&departure_month=03+2012&departure_day=14&arrival_city=OGG&return_month=03+2012&return_day=28&search_type=roundtrip&num_travelers=2

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare to Maui from Chicago, IL

I have flown from Chicago to HNL, OGG, KOA numerous times. For coach anything under $1,200 is a good deal. If the price is below $1,000 that is very good. Usually the cheapest flights are on US Air through Phoenix. I see those fares now and then, but usually go for non stops when available.

I sincerely doubt that you will get a flight much less than that price you have found. In fact, the price could go up!

Book'em Dano

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfare to Maui from Chicago, IL

That is a good price. Snatch that puppy up now!! I usually pay around that much for round trip between Honolulu and Denver. Have fun, you'll love Hawaii.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfare to Maui from Chicago, IL

That's a good price. Our flights to Maui this past June were priced at just over $800...UA...non stop ORD to OGG, OGG to SFO to ORD on the way home. Seems like there is a floor at $700ish...so your price seems competitive to me.

Elburn, Illinois
Level Contributor
201 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfare to Maui from Chicago, IL

I ended up waiting 1 1/2 days just b/c I was apprehensive and it paid off. I was able to get two roundtrip tickets for $1402 (including all taxes and fees). They are not roundtrip but 1 stop on way there and 2 on way back but exactly what I wanted for seat locations, times and size of planes. (thru American Airlines)

Plus big score on rental car from Costco. 2 weeks for Convertible for $816!

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Elburn, Illinois
Level Contributor
201 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfare to Maui from Chicago, IL

sorry.... message should say

they are not non stop (where it says roundtrip). Guess it's too early. hahaha

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airfare to Maui from Chicago, IL

That was a very good buy-enjoy paradise!

chicago area
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Airfare to Maui from Chicago, IL

That is a good price. I am still waiting to hear if those rumors about Southwest starting service to the islands next year are going to come true. That could help keep fares in check.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
52,497 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airfare to Maui from Chicago, IL

Aloha,

SW hasn't even leased/bought the planes yet, much less gotten them certified for over water. Plus, they haven't applied for the routes either.

Last I heard from a friend with them is still:

2012 Spring--get planes, start process;

late 2012/early 2013-start routes.

This of course is second hand, but it goes along with everything that has been published.