We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timers to Maui in October

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
First Timers to Maui in October

Hello!

I got a little overwhelmed with the boards trying to do my research here. There is so much to do and see! We are going to Maui at the Sheraton for 9 days in Mid October. Is this a good time to go weather wise? Are there any towel games at this resort?

We are looking forward to snorkeling right off the beach at Black Rock. Are we allowed to jump off as well? That would be quite fun! I have also been told to go to Kapalua beach to snorkel. Any other must see beaches we should drive to and see?

So far we have booked OLL and a ziplining in Kaanapali with Skyline. Want to the Road to Hana one day as well.

Was thinking about Warren and Annabelle's but I am unsure about going to see a magic show in Hawaii?

Thank you so much! Couldn't plan a vacation to Maui without Trip Advisor!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timers to Maui in October

Also! Was thinking of doing a boat snorkel trip to Molokini but heard its not that great? My parents mentioned going to Lanai for a day- they went to "Club Lanai" is this still around? Thanks again!!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,336 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timers to Maui in October

Maui has tons of beautiful beaches. North, south, east and west!! There is a sign on Black Rock that says no jumping but everyone does it any way. Just make sure you don't jump into a snorkeler. That is one of the reasons why I don't like snorkeling there.

In mid October the surf is going to be changing. The best most consistent ocean conditions will be found in south Maui at this time. Just make sure you check out the surf report before going and be prepared for plan B.

I love going out to Molokini. One thing it is not is an aquarium. I've counted over a hundred different species of fish out there more than once. What Molokini will give you is the clearest water you have ever seen. Unsurpassed anywhere else on Maui. A snorkeling trip, or any trip to Lanai would be wonderful.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,506 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timers to Maui in October

Aloha,

Club Lana'i went under years ago. Take a look at Trilogy or Paragon for catamaran trips to Lana'i if you want to do one. Both are very good companies, their trips are very different--so read through the descriptions and decide which one is best for you.

I think Molokini is overrated, overused......and Ms Fuzz doesn't--we are polar opposites on this one! Have fun whatever you decide to do.

If you decide to jump off Black Rock make sure you know what rocks may be below you too.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timers to Maui in October

Kapalua Bay is indeed a great place to snorkel. And the best is further north past Kapalua bay in Honolua Bay. Search for Honolua Bay in this forum to get information on how to get there, along with a few other good tips for this beach.

Both Black Rock and Molokini are too crowded for my taste. People are swimming on top of each other at times. But at least Black Rock is free in that you don't need to pay for a boat ride to get there. People do jump off of the cliff there all day long.

Lanai is great.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,165 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Timers to Maui in October

If you jump keep an eye out for snorkelers too!! Just north of Black Rock is Kahekili Beach Park, check that out too for snorkeling.

Being honest here and just my opinion but if I want a magic act...I'll go to Vegas! Maui is magic enough for me!

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
49,506 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Timers to Maui in October

Aloha,

Re the magic show-Warren is very good, but I'm with Mamma. I'd rather go to something I can't see anywhere else, like 'Ulalena!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Timers to Maui in October

Thanks everyone for your responses!! I will definitely check out Kapalua and Honolua. Paragon sailing looks great too! I think we will go to Lanai over Molokini if we go with them. Anyone like Blue Water Rafting?

*I think I am with you guys as well about skipping the magic show- my husband thought I was crazy when I told him! Ha!

Seattle
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Timers to Maui in October

Unless you can go out VERY early, I'd skip Molokini for the snorkeling (so overcrowded). But if you go out with the Pacific Whale Foundation, you should get lucky and seem humpbacks along the way, so that's pretty special.

Hana and all of east Maui is incredibly beautiful, especially after all the day-trippers go back home. If you could possibly swing it, staying a night or two in Hana or beyond will introduce you to a very different Hawaii from the Sheraton, a quite magical Hawaii.

Have a lovely time!

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
49,506 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Timers to Maui in October

Aloha,

Highly, highly doubtful they'll see whales in October.

Pacific Whale's boats are big cattle car type baots..........last on MY list.

BWR is a great fun company, if you don't mind driving down to Kihei early in the morning, and can take the bumpier ride.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Timers to Maui in October

I could be wrong Farfellina but I do not think there will be any whale sightings in October....late November through March-April is the season.