We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haleakala / Sliding Sands Trail hike times

San Francsico, CA
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Haleakala / Sliding Sands Trail hike times

I'm planning on doing this hike, starting at sunrise. How long does the round trip to the floor of the crater take (for a 31 year-old in reasonably good shape)? Is there any intermediate point where it makes sense to turn around?

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
298 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Haleakala / Sliding Sands Trail hike times

I did a portion of this trail a few years back and had a great time. I hiked down to the intersection of multiple trails. The views are amazing, especially if you have clouds coming up into the crater (but not too far!).

It took me about 45 minutes to get to the intersection, and then about double that to make it back up, thanks to the altitude. Keep that in mind when you do your hike.

Overall, I had a great time, took some wonderful pictures, and will probably do it again when I have the opportunity.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,113 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haleakala / Sliding Sands Trail hike times

Take LOTS of water! I was scared to drink any of my water because there is nowhere to hide behind a bush if you need to pee! It was the worst thing I could have done. I had a terrible time walking up and out of the crater. I only went down 45 minutes, and decided to turn around because I knew it would take twice as long to get back up. Two steps and I had to rest, two more steps, another rest. My heart was beating like crazy. I was so scared because I couldn't get the heart rate down. DRINK YOUR WATER!!!! The altitude really affects people differently. The following year we had our three kids there. I was smart and stayed up top and sent them off with their dad. My son had no issues at all. He is a swimmer, and dives as well. Has big lungs I guess. I thought I was in reasonable shape from doing my paper routes... not so... not when you are ten thousand feet up! I don't want to deter you from doing the hike, because it is truly amazing up there. I haven't seen any pictures that do it justice. Do you have someone to do the hike with?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Haleakala / Sliding Sands Trail hike times

What kind of scenery did you see in the first 45 minutes of the trail?

This is really all we have time for after the sunrise as we have reservations at the O'o farm for a tour/lunch at 10:30. Also how long did it take to get back to the top?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,113 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haleakala / Sliding Sands Trail hike times

Ella43, whatever time you hike down, double it to get back up. If you hike a half hour down, it will be an hour back up. The scenery is spectacular, like a moonscape, but red. It is hard to explain. You won't be disappointed.

Just google Haleakala for images and you will see some pictures. None of them will be as good as being there in person.

5. Re: Haleakala / Sliding Sands Trail hike times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 22:19