We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Weekend Trip to Maui

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
870 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Long Weekend Trip to Maui

My wife and I are thinking of taking our first vacation (Feb/March) without our 2yo son, and I'm trying to make the case for Maui. Her idea was Sonoma. We came to Maui last summer but our activities were limited by the kid.

Now Maui is not our favorite island, but we have certificates for the Fairmont Kea Lani in Wailea, and 200K+ Delta miles that we need to burn. Our budget will be under $1000.

I was wondering if I could get some input from the experts here.

Any recommendations for things that are best done without kids?

The list we came up with was Haleakala bike ride, Road to Hana, upcountry road trip, and daily snorkeling.

She's interested in a Molokini boat trip, but I've only heard disappointment lately. Too crowded, not enough out there to justify the trip, etc.

(I'm not concerned about flying to Hawaii for only four nights. I live in LA, so it's only a five hour flight, where I will be allowed to sit and read/watch/play whatever I want, without trying to entertain/quiet a toddler. That's a vacation in itself!)

Thanks!

Socal
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Weekend Trip to Maui

Well, to me I'd hate to burn all those miles for just a 4 day trip.

I'd dump the bike ride and probably the RTH if I was just looking for some relaxation on the beach. Could do a drive Upcountry and cover some nice areas, especially since you are staying on the south side.

Snorkling..plenty of choices on that one.

There are some nice hikes around that you could do sans child...that's what we did, although our daughter is 16 and we left her at the condo snoozing!

Edited: 06 October 2011, 20:30
LA
Level Contributor
9,912 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Weekend Trip to Maui

Ditch the bicycle trip and the Haleakala trip

Skip the road to Hana

Take a snorkeling trip to Molokini so you at least get out on the water and enjoy the views of Maui, as well as the snorkeling. They usually go to another location in south Maui, just below the Makena Resort, as well as Molokini.

Go to one of the luaus. Have expensive meals with wine at night.

LA
Level Contributor
9,912 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Weekend Trip to Maui

Sleeping in late, too.

Pearl, Mississippi
Level Contributor
28 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Weekend Trip to Maui

I'm leaving tomorrow to go to Maui for our first short trip without our toddler. You aren't the only one. :)

I haven't been there yet, so I'm not much help. I just want to be able to be gone all day busy without watching the clock to be home for nap time. We are going to Haleakala and the road to Hana. Some days shopping and enjoying the beach. I'm not in the mood to just sit there all day on the beach. I feel up for doing something!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,240 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Weekend Trip to Maui

Just make a short list of things you would like to do and decide when you get there! The sheer freedom may lead you to a lounge by the pool with an umbrella drink! A couple of romantic dinners would be a great recharge!

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Weekend Trip to Maui

We did a fast "long weekend" 4 night trip a few years back. I was skeptical at first of doing such a short trip and it not being enough. But it came in the middle of a very busy and stressful season in our work lives and turned out to be just what the doctor ordered. We didn't even rent a car. Took a cab to our hotel in Wailea and never left the grounds until it was time to take the cab back to the airport. Heaven!!

I'm with the others who have suggested ditching the trips to Hana and Haleakala and just go for the down time. If your are hell-bent on adventure, consider one of the zipline tours.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Weekend Trip to Maui

A 4 day fun trip from California sounds like a perfect get-a-way. Way cool.

If you need us to tell you ideas of what to do without the children then we need to talk.......lol

Pool, swim, walk, talk, lunch on a balcony, dinner on a balcony, shop, breakfast in bed, drink.....repeat

Whenever I read a post from someone who wants to do 4 days to Hawaii I can only smile and think how you are my kind of traveler.

My first trip alone to Hawaii at age 21 was with a friend and we flew from DFW to HNL for a long weekend. Crazy I know. But, tickers were reasonable and we had so much fun.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Long Weekend Trip to Maui

I must add...

"I'm not concerned about flying to Hawaii for only four nights. I live in LA, so it's only a five hour flight"

My wife and I can relate to this comment. We have taken some long trips that people would find hard to believe for a short time (like you) and we had more fun relaxing on a plane. We had a chance to relax, watch movies, read books, be waited on, eat dinner and talk while sitting on a plane a lot longer than 5 hours.

Enjoy the journey and not just the destination.

California
Level Contributor
6,102 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long Weekend Trip to Maui

Already living in Sonoma I would pick Maui in a second plus your traveling during the wettest months for our area so rain might be a factor.. Total travel time to both Maui and Sonoma is almost the same time when you include the drive from SFO to Sonoma.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,600 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long Weekend Trip to Maui

5 hour flight isn't that long but 100K per ticket for what? You could get 4 or even 6 trips out of 200K+ Delta miles.

I love, love, love Hawaii but even I wouldn't burn that many miles on 1 trip ... And I rack up the miles fast on business travel.

But to each his own. For such a short trip, I'd pick one big activity, one medium activity, and make the rest relaxation!