We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help choosing a helicopter tour in Maui.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need help choosing a helicopter tour in Maui.

Hello. We are going to our honeymoon to Maui on this October. We want to take one of helicopter tours, but it's really hard to decide which one is most worth the price? We are interested in West Maui and Molokai or Complete island Maui tours. Which one tour has more breathtaking views (and more mountain views)?

Thank You.

Mint Hill, North...
Level Contributor
104 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help choosing a helicopter tour in Maui.

My wife and I were in Maui April of last year and went on a tour with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters. It was unbelievable ! We went on there West Maui and Molokai tour. The flight over the Molokai Cliffs are something you will never forget. The pilot would even turn the helicopter so as everyone was able to see all the awesome views. It's not cheap but we don't regret it at all.

nwf
NSW Australia
Level Contributor
910 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help choosing a helicopter tour in Maui.

Hi there,

I should have sen the cliffs rather than the big black blob volcanoe..NWF

Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
733 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help choosing a helicopter tour in Maui.

As noted the price is quite high but the experience is unforgettable. You can save a few $$$ if you stop at Costco and purchase the Air Maui tours there (a discounted gift card). You will still have to reserve your flight separately.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
48,064 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help choosing a helicopter tour in Maui.

Aloha,

I would use either Sunshine Helicopters or Blue Hawaiian. If you can, spring for the larger heli-Sunshine's is called the Whisper Star, Blue's is called the Eco Star. The windows are much larger, the seats are far more comfortable, and the bird is more quiet than the smaller ones, too.

I disagree with NWF's description of Haleakala though. The colors there range from black to gold, yellow, and many shades of red and orange. Seeing the crater and the mountain from the air is a very different experience than from the ground.

The Circle Island tours are well done, and so are the WMM/Moloka'i. Different but both great!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,429 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help choosing a helicopter tour in Maui.

We did the West Maui + Molokai tour with Blue Hawaiian in the Eco Star, and it was fantastic. I'm a big boy, at 6'6" and there was another larger gentleman in the backrow (4 across in the back) and we were all quite comfortable. Seeing the Eco Star side-by-side with the smaller helicopters, I wouldn't fly in anything else.

Funny side show, watching the 20-something couple trying desperately to work the helicopter guy for the front seats.

"We're on our honeymoon."

"I'm afraid I'd get sick in the back seat."

and my favorite...

"I don't think I'd be able to see over that guy" pointing at me.

And the truly funny part, we weren't even on the same flight.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help choosing a helicopter tour in Maui.

Thanks all for your answers. I found this website with very low prices:

www.maui-vacation.net/mauihelicopters.html

Is it normal? Because I didn't see that kind of prices anywhere else and maybe it's not very safe tours?

I heard a lot of good things about "Blue Hawaiian" in this and other forums. Just don't know if we can spend so much money. But still keep them in my mind.

SWMARKET, in which of these tours i will find more mountains view? Like I understand, in West Maui and Molokai, is it correct?

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
48,064 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help choosing a helicopter tour in Maui.

Aloha,

That site is one of Boss Frog's timeshare "deals". I wouldn't bother and waste my time or money.......book direct with the company you pick.

In addition to costing you vacation time to get the "deal", the cancellation policies through these things are more strict and charge a fee for changes or cancellations. It can add up quick. Another detail is that sometimes the tours that are so cheap are midday or afternoon ones, which is not the best time for a heli.

West Maui/Moloka'i will def give you the most mountain and cliff viewing.

While there are some activities that one can get a 'deal' on and still have a good time-heli tours aren't one of them IMO. They're expensive and prob only something you will do once, so I encourage folks to do it right.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help choosing a helicopter tour in Maui.

Swmarket, thank You so much! Your opinion is very helpful!

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
48,064 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help choosing a helicopter tour in Maui.

Aloha,

Kristina, glad I can help! Whether you do a heli or not, you will love Maui!

Morris County, NJ
Level Contributor
698 posts
797 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help choosing a helicopter tour in Maui.

We went on the Blue Hawaiian Circle tour of Maui last month. We were very impressed. We paid extra for the Eco-Star helicopter and it was worth it. My wife and I were in the back. She was next to the window and I was seated in the middle next to her. The view was still very good. This was pricey, but it was a once in a life time experience.