We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui family accommodation

Adelaide SA
Level Contributor
230 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Maui family accommodation

Am finally getting very excited because the planning is coming together nicely for our March 2012 visit. Thankyou to all the great advice received so far from the forums.

Having visited Oahu and Big Island earler this year, we have narrowed down accommodation there, but now I'm stuck about deciding on family accommodation in Maui.

So can I give you some info and any feedback /suggestions would be appreciated?

From what I've read we'd be better to stay south in March being drier? We understand its winter but hoping the sun might peep through from time to time.

We are 2 adults and 2 children, 5 night stay, budget $250 max a night inc taxes. Our preference would be beachfront or very close to (we will look at car rental). A pool onsite is preferable.

By beachfront, a swimmable beach would be nice. We're staying at HWV on Big Island (thankyou Hilton Hotels for inviting us back due to a previous disastrous stay in May 2011), so as the Hilton Waikoloa is more of an 'oceanfront' stay, an easy walk to the beach on Maui would be good. We're staying at the Banyan in Waikiki so again, its a bit of a walk to the beach so it would be nice to have part of our Hawaiian stay 'beachside'.

A self contained condo/unit would be good so we have room to 'swing a cat' and cook some meals. Not necessarily 5 star (I know our budget wont stretch to 5 star), but clean is a must. If our budget doesnt allow this self contained option, suggestions for hotels would be great.

Cheers

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,343 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui family accommodation

Take a look at availability at Honua Kai, Westin Villas and Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas. Also browse through www.chasenrainbows.com for other condo options. March is a very busy time on Maui...whales and mainland school breaks for children mean lots of visitors. Rent you car now if you know your dates.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,734 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui family accommodation

I don't know if you'd find a condo on Maui, in March, on a good swimming beach, for $250 all in. Can you use a 1 BR where kids sleep on a LR sofabed? Need 2 BR's?

Virtually every visitor to Maui has a rental car for the entire stay. You have to get across the island from Kahului (OGG) and back again anyway. You'd be very limited in what you can see and do without a car.

Less expensive condos on Maui tend to be in Kahana (West Maui --usually on a seawall, not a beach) and in Maalaea and Kihei in South Maui. Maalaea is windy, little beach. In Kihei you can be 'oceanfront', but not on great beaches in North Kihei, or across the street from the good Kamaole Beach Parks in South Kihei. A North Kihei exception is Sugar Beach -- good swimming and snorkeling.

I like this site for South Maui condos: www.mauiownercondos.com

Maybe Maui Coast Hotel (S. Kihie)? Do you want to grocery shop and stock a condo for only five nights? Where does Maui fit into your island hopping?

United States
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui family accommodation

Wailea hotel and Makena Beach resort are a couple to check out.

United States
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui family accommodation

This is a fun TR about the Hotel Wailea with a kid.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,346 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui family accommodation

Hotel Wailea is so far from being beach or ocean front. It sits on a hill, you either have to walk it or take their shuttle.

The best most consistent ocean conditions will be found in south Maui during March. Most of the time it's sunny too!! At this late date, you may or may not find what you are looking for. Most condo's in south Maui are across the street from the beach but there are some that are beach front. Those more than likely will already be booked, but worth a look.

United States
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui family accommodation

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k380928…

Adelaide SA
Level Contributor
230 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui family accommodation

ChiSue thanks for your reply. A studio or 1 BR will be ample. As mentioned we will have a car so transport from airport wont be a problem. I will take a look at the website you recommended. As far as our itinerary goes , we are going the long way around!! We Aussies are used to the long distances. So we will be travelling Adelaide-Sydney-Honolulu-Kona (4 nights - we spent a week on BI in May this year so just a short return visit this time in the hope the lava is flowing!) From Kona to Maui for 5 nights then onto Oahu for 5 nights to shop as we love to do., and then home to Adelaide via Sydney.

msfuzz thanks for the heads up about the Wailea and its location.Your recommendation about the south being sunnier reinforces that we should concentrate on condos in that area. Do you think if we go West Maui we may pushing our luck? So far I have looked at options in South and West Maui, at Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas, the Kaanapali Shores and Honua Kai, and also Wailea Ekahi Village. We can revise our budget to $300 max pn so hopefully we can find something nice as far as accommodation goes. Any thoughts on those condos?

Elk Ridge UT
Level Contributor
75 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui family accommodation

We are in Maui as we speak...yahoo! We are staying at Maui Kamaole in Kehei. It's perfect for our family!!!

2 pools and a hot tub, 2 bedrooms plus a pull out couch ( I'm sure they have 1 bedroom units), and it's right across from the Kamaole beaches which have been fab beaches for our family...good boogie boarding, lifeguards, playground, restrooms, just alot of fun :)

We rented ours online and it was $180 a night, budget friendly! The owners have been a dream. The unit also included boogie boards, snorkel equipment, beach chairs and umbrella, and sand toys, all in great condition and clean.

We would not hesitate staying here again..we've found our home away from home. Last year we stayed in kaanapali, oceanfront which was beautiful but the beach wasn't swimmable. To tell the truth, I'm much happier here! They do have ocean view units but ours is just a garden unit, which is just fine with us..we can still hear the ocean! Anyway, best of luck on your journey. There are a ton of amazing property's here!

Adelaide SA
Level Contributor
230 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui family accommodation

mamma and smart label print thanks for your suggestions

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,734 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui family accommodation

Ekahi would be my pick for its location in Wailea and because it's 'on' a good beach. I also like low-rise and low-density. This property spreads far back from the ocean; some units back to the road. You can be as far from the water as the condos that are across Kihei Road from the Kamaole beaches. Older; look for recently refurbished.

Honua Kai is very new and in West Maui, north of the main spread of Kaanapali. It too is beachfront, but is set back a good ways on an 'OK' beach. It has a neat-looking pool complex. I haven't seen it since it's been completed, but it's massive -- larger than many hotels. I don't know how that plays out as far as feeling crowded. Six hundred hotel rooms is one thing. Six hundred condo units, some of them 3-BR...sounds like a lot of kids.

Weather should be fine anywhere from Kahana (West Maui) on south. The ocean should be calmer in South Maui. There are so many great beaches along the coast from the Kamaoles on south through Wailea and Makena that most people want to try more than whatever is 'out front'.

nvrdull is praising the complex where we own, Maui Kamaole. I didn't bring that up because I'm not sure you can find availability, and the rate will be higher in March than what nvrdull is paying. (We're booked, but have had many guests with two children in our 1 Br 2 bath; units are spacious.) MK is low-rise, low-density (320 1 BR and 2 BR units on 23 acres). It's between Kamaole III and Keawakapu beaches. It's built up the side of a low hill, which means more units have ocean views, but you have to *climb* a bit coming back from Kam III beach.

Edited: 20 October 2011, 15:42