We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui guide book suggestions

Beaverton, Oregon
Level Contributor
78 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Maui guide book suggestions

My daughters (11 and 14) and I are visiting Maui (Kapalua) next month for the first time. I thought having a book would help us figure out how to best spend our limited time there, plus give the girls something to read before hand and on the plane to get them more involved in planning. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,777 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui guide book suggestions

Great idea ... fun to read before the trip, and helpful while there.

There are some suggestions in the FYI section under "Top questions about Maui", but I think it needs updating.

The three that I use:

Frommer's Maui: amazon.com/Frommers-Maui-2012-Color-Complete…

Top Trails Maui, Must-Do Hikes for Everyone: amazon.com/Top-Trails-Must-Do-Hikes-Everyone…

Maui Revealed: amazon.com/Maui-Revealed-Guidebook-Andrew-Do…

United States
Level Contributor
2,870 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui guide book suggestions

Be aware that Maui Revealed has some misleading information...

I usually check out books from the library and that may help you figure out which one you want to buy.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,777 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui guide book suggestions

<<"Be aware that Maui Revealed has some misleading information...">>

Does that apply to their more recent editions ... and if so, do you have examples?

Thanks.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,551 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui guide book suggestions

Here is the link Susan is talking about.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29220-c2258/Maui:Haw…

Susan, if you feel it needs updating, please feel free to do it. It's a travel article and a wiki so anyone with updated info can add or delete anything they need to.

Maui revealed is reviled on Maui for a number of reasons. No updated book will undo the damage that has already been done.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,777 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui guide book suggestions

Thanks msfuzz ... I will add to the FYI info.

Re Maui Revealed ...people on this forum still purchase these books and it would be helpful to let them know if there is misleading info in recent editions. I can understand if you haven't looked at one recently, just thought smartlabel might be able to provide more info.

Beaverton, Oregon
Level Contributor
78 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui guide book suggestions

A review on Amazon of "Maui Revealed" gave me the impression that the author was a bit arrogant; combined with the posts here, I think I'll skip that one. "Lonely Planet Maui" is mentioned favorably on the "Top Questions" page, but when I search Amazon, a few come up, from various authors. Is Sara Benson the local writer that everyone seems to like/respect? She also wrote the "Top Trails Must-Do Hikes" book, which is very positively reviewed.

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui guide book suggestions

susan...

the issues people have with maui revealed are not so much misleading, but more like inappropriate information.

it tells you it's "ok" to trespass on private property in certain areas.

it suggests going to places that can be quite dangerous such as the nakalele blow hole and what they call the olivine pools. these places are safe and enjoyable at a certain distance...but not necessarily "up close".

the book also suggests driving in areas that most rental car companies "forbid" due to inaccessibility of cell phone usage and distance for recovery.

i prefer it to frommers, myself...but if you use it...use your head and stay safe.

Yuma, Arizona
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui guide book suggestions

Bottom line when using any guide book.....when visiting any destination, USE COMMON SENSE!!!

We actually use the Maui Revealed guide book via our iphone app and it has been a very helpful navigation tool.

…apple.com/us/app/maui-revealed/id431462560…

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui guide book suggestions

At the risk of having this thread go sideways, I was always tragically amused by the blue book's phrases like "it's not private, that's just what they want you to think" etc (ever so slight paraphrasing).

Lonely Planet is a good choice.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
61,797 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui guide book suggestions

Aloha,

Well, this couldn't have popped up at a better time to explain Maui REVILED'S bad reputation:

From the Maui News, today:

Visitors swept into ocean near pools

KAHAKULOA - Two Canadian visitors were rescued after they were swept into the ocean in the area known as "Olivine Pools" near Kahakuloa on Monday afternoon, a fire official said.

The 39-year-old man and 27-year-old woman, both from Vancouver, were swimming in the area just past Nakalele on Kahekili Highway when a large wave broke over the pools area, said fire Battalion Chief Allen Duarte. He said the two visitors were pulled into the ocean when the wave receded before they managed to fight their way back to a cliff.

A bystander who saw what happened called 911, Duarte said. He said a Napili engine company responded to the 3:27 p.m. call, arriving on scene at 3:48 p.m. A lifeguard aboard a personal watercraft from D.T. Fleming Beach Park also responded, along with a fire rescue crew aboard the Fire Department's Air One helicopter.

After the lifeguard located the two on the cliffside, the rescue crew aboard Air One retrieved the two from the cliff, Duarte said. He said the man and woman were treated at the scene for scrapes and bruises.

Now, a few points for folks to consider. Note that the response time from the call by the bystander (lucky them s/he was there & had a phone, huh?) was 21 minutes. As God said to Noah (Bill Cosby) "How long can you tread water?" Oh, and what if one or both had been knocked unconscious? Or suffered a serious laceration? 21 Minutes of arterial or venous bleeding = dead.

Whether Doughtey corrects his bad info EVER, much less changes his attitude is irrelevant. He already endangered many and sadly they will continue to buy his garbage, read about it on his websites, buy old copies because they are cheaper, read the Web, and trespass anyway. After all-he said they could.

And it will continue to endanger our Emergency personnel, divert resources from where they are needed, at enormous expense to us..........just so "extreme" people can do what THEY want.