We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restricted usage road

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,955 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Restricted usage road

Our last couple visits to Hawaii, we did not use mapquest, however, we used the maps given to us and on-line. In researching activites this time around and using mapquest to fine specific beaches to snorkel/play, we noticed that some roads are restricted. (not knowing that any roads are restricted) I knew about the partial road all the way around the Island is restricted/private roads, however, traveling to lets say,,,, Kapalua Bay Beach, Ulua beach, Napili bay,, and Kamaole beach I II III all have partial or restricted usage of roads. So my question is, how do we get around this? as all beaches are public.

thank you

djb

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,612 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restricted usage road

You don't say where you are coming from, but you shouldn't have to drive on any restricted roads to get to these beaches. Parking lots are accessible from the main roads, although for Napili Bay we parked on the street rather than in a parking lot. I like google maps for directions.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,955 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restricted usage road

we will be staying in Kaanapali this time.... actually i used google maps this time. when putting in the address it does say "restricted use road, or partial" for example.. driving to kapalua bay beach

there are two restricted roads, part of kaanapali pkwy "which is where we are staying at the Sheraton"

and coconut grove lane.

thanks

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restricted usage road

Such as it is for Google directions. My wife uses it and takes her places she doesn't want to go.

Coconut Grove Lane is an access road to Kapalua Village (thereby restricted), and not the way to get to the beach. I prefer to just look at the map. Lower Honopiilani Road takes you right by the beach access. For fun, try Google Street View to get your bearings. To be fair I drove right by it the first couple of times.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,612 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restricted usage road

Yes, I see it on the map ... coming from Kaanapali, on Lower Hanoapiilani Road, you'll turn left before Merriman's Restaurant (which is before Coconut Grove Lane). The restricted road is probably a gated private road. There'll be a sign on L. Hanoapiliaani Rd. for public parking. You can see it on the google map if you zoom in on satellite view.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,612 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restricted usage road

<<"Such as it is for Google directions. My wife uses it and takes her places she doesn't want to go." >>

No, it's not perfect, but it sure beats going without directions, with a husband who is too proud/stubborn to stop and ask for directions :)

My favourite resource for finding parking locations on Maui is the book, Maui Revealed.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,955 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restricted usage road

<<"Such as it is for Google directions. My wife uses it and takes her places she doesn't want to go." >>

I hear what you are saying, this is why I have GPS in my car.

my husband also toooo proud to ask for directions.. I have one for you... my husbands famous words everytime we go on vacation or out anywhere..." I know a shortcut " LOL...

anyway, as far as the map. yes I do see if I zoom in. also, those directions are on Lower Honoapiilani Rd.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,955 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restricted usage road

BTY, is Merrimans a good restaurant to eat at???

The company that cleans my windows name is Merrimans... LOL!!!

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restricted usage road

I admit I won't ask for directions. But fortunately I love maps as a hobby so I try not to drive around aimlessly (unless I'm really enjoying it). And short cuts on Maui don't work. Too many private roads/fences/gates/lava flows. My wife says I have a built in GPS (coming from someone who doesn't know when she's heading north or south) but you can indeed drive by these beach accesses in the blink of an eye.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restricted usage road

Merrimans is good and next door at the Sea House is good.

Both are ocean front with great views.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,499 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restricted usage road

Most beach access roads (or entry way's) will be marked with a blue sign, signifying this. There are only two roads that are prohibited by your rental car contract. Other's will be either private (and marked as such) or gated.