We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A list of your opinions, thank you!

Next to water
Level Contributor
298 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
A list of your opinions, thank you!

I'm getting so excited to get back to Hawaii I'm starting to vibrate!

Just so I don't miss anything....top of mind answers, short and sweet would be appreciated.

1. Best souvenir for under $1 (not including photos) for adults

2. Best souvenir for under $10

3. Sunscreen of choice for face (brand, spf)

4. Preferred Brand of flipflops (slippahs), where to buy

5. Hiking boot or rugged water shoe?

6. Color of nail polish for nails?

7. Best souvenir for toddler girl age 3

8. Best value rum drink cocktail. Price and Location?

9. Unique Xmas tree ornament you've seen or purchased? Item or Location (got the HiloHattie/Longs/airport/walmart covered)

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,493 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A list of your opinions, thank you!

1)..88cents @ Longs Maui Calendars. We get a bunch..If I forget someone, they remind me," I didn't get a calendar this year!!!."

(9) some great ones, handmade, Under the Banyand Tree @ craft fair.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
786 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A list of your opinions, thank you!

1. Best souvenir for under $1 (not including photos) for adults - tough one.. key chain?

2. Best souvenir for under $10 - coffee, macadamia nuts

3. Sunscreen of choice for face (brand, spf) - neutrogena

4. Preferred Brand of flipflops (slippahs), where to buy - interested in this too...

5. Hiking boot or rugged water shoe? - rugged water shoe

6. Color of nail polish for nails? - orange or pink

7. Best souvenir for toddler girl age 3 - my niece loved her hula set

8. Best value rum drink cocktail. Price and Location? - waiting for this too

9. Unique Xmas tree ornament you've seen or purchased? Item or Location (got the HiloHattie/Longs/airport/walmart covered)

years ago I bought a neat ornament at the outdoor market.. on Saturday in Kahului.. it was a glass ball with shells and sand and the top was a litle angel, hard to explain, but definately hit the market.. you're sure to find something there! I'll be going for sure!

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
969 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A list of your opinions, thank you!

1. Best souvenir for under $1 (not including photos) for adults - Everywhere has great postcards 5 for a dollar.

2. Best souvenir for under $10 - chocolate macadamia nut coffee.

3. Sunscreen of choice for face (brand, spf) - neutrogena spf 15

4. Preferred Brand of flipflops (slippahs), where to buy - Nike (neoprene)

5. Hiking boot or rugged water shoe? I prefer hiking boot for hiking the trails

6. Color of nail polish for nails? pink?

7. Best souvenir for toddler girl age 3 - grass hula skirt? kids ukelele?

8. Best value rum drink cocktail. Price and Location? any of the culinary cocktails at Monkeypod at happy hour ($8)

9. Unique Xmas tree ornament you've seen or purchased? Item or Location (got the HiloHattie/Longs/airport/walmart covered) Surfing Santa at Hilo Hatie

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A list of your opinions, thank you!

1. Best souvenir for under $1 (not including photos) for adults - Splurge, & go with a 6-pak (or 12-pak) of Hawaiian Host choc mac purchased @ Costco.

2. Best souvenir for under $10 - BIG pack of choice of Honolulu cookies - I prefer the pineapple-shaped choc chip, crushed mac variety (hmmm....is there a pattern here?)

3. Sunscreen of choice for face (brand, spf) - Well, I love the scent of coppertone, though there are much better brands!

4. Preferred Brand of flipflops (slippahs), where to buy - Vans slippah slides, brah! (yah...they have girls versions too.! ;)

5. Hiking boot or rugged water shoe? - Gotta go with the retro Teva's, though they don't make the best fashion statement..

6. Color of nail polish for nails? - um....ima defer this to the females, but anything with a tropical motif works for me! ;)

7. Best souvenir for toddler girl age 3 - "Hula girl" dress-up book, with various grass skirts & different accouterments she can use to customize her "Hula girl!"

8. Best value rum drink cocktail. Price and Location? - Three dolla happy hour MatTais @ Aloha Mixed plate by a longshot..

9. Unique Xmas tree ornament you've seen or purchased? - Too many to list - at the Christmas ornament wholesaler @ Lahaina civic center craft fair on Sundays -- seen many island retailers purchasing their ornaments here for resale! Miss the Christmas store that used to be in the shops at the Hyatt -- they always had some very unique Kalikimaka items!

Aloha, NKO

Edited: 20 October 2011, 22:19
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A list of your opinions, thank you!

I'll take a crack at this:

1. Best souvenir for under $1 (not including photos) for adults

Hawaiian Calendars and keychain bottle openers (turtle or palm tree)

2. Best souvenir for under $10

This just barely makes it, and you may have to shop a little, but the single greatest souvenir is Mauna Loa Milk Chocolate Coconut Macadamia Nuts (and if you read the label carefully, there is also a layer of white chocolate). Everyone I brought this back for has become a friend for life!

3. Sunscreen of choice for face (brand, spf)

Mexitan (aka Tropical Sands) SPF30. This is a mineral (rather than chemical) sunscreen that is better for you and for Maui's reefs. Check out ewg.org for more on sunscreens.

4. Preferred Brand of flipflops (slippahs), where to buy

Sanuk. Their flip flops made from yoga mats are quite simply the most comfortable thing I've even worn. Available everywhere, I've had the most luck at the Sanuk store on Front Street in Lahaina (best selection) and the Hats Galore store in the Lahaina Cannery Mall (good selection, best price).

5. Hiking boot or rugged water shoe?

Unless you're planning some serious hiking, water shoes are more practical. Hiking boots take up too much space in the luggage and we stopped bringing them. We choose walks that are flip-flop or Birkenstock friendly.

6. Color of nail polish for nails?

Blue? Most guys don't really notice nail polish. Sorry.

7. Best souvenir for toddler girl age 3

1 calendar + 2 key chain bottle openers (turtle + palm tree) in pink

8. Best value rum drink cocktail. Price and Location?

Mai Tai at Aloha Mixed Plate Happy Hour (3-6), $3.

Key chain bottle opener (turtle + palm tree) in varied colors. Practical, cheap, and fun.

Edited: 20 October 2011, 23:00
Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A list of your opinions, thank you!

For the ornament - we have been very happy with ornaments purchased from artisans at::

Hui No 'eau Visual Arts Center, 2841 Baldwin Ave., Makawao

That said, I don't know if it's happening this year, it is a seasonal event. Perhaps one of our Maui locals will know.

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A list of your opinions, thank you!

Best souvenir for under $10. Franko's Dive Map of Maui at Longs for about 6 bucks. I love it so much , I sometimes use it as a place mat at supper time.

Edited: 20 October 2011, 23:25
Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A list of your opinions, thank you!

For Slippahs - We like Scott's.

I just bought a pair for $18.00 at Longs, but there's a better selection at Walmart.

Saskatoon...
Level Contributor
753 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A list of your opinions, thank you!

1. Playing cards.

2. Chocolate Mac Nuts, cookies, dog collar, photo album

3. Min SPF 30, (neutrogena sp?) plus a hat

4. Sanuk - so comfy!

5. ? We don't do any major hiking so we are happy with cheap walmart water shoes.

6. I came with orange and left with pink (mani/pedi at Happy Nails)

7. Hula girl doll, hair stuff, stuffies (turtles, whales, etc). Toy store at Whaler's Village has nice selection.

8. ?

9. Flea market/craft fair in Napili

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,921 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: A list of your opinions, thank you!

Best $1 item: Bottle opener 'cause you can't always be drinking Mai Tai's in fancy Maui places ya know

Best $10 item: Hey, I bought a bunch of those "Hawaiian DVD video postcards" from Walmart once. Great DVDs that are ready to mail back to jealous friends that have never stepped a slippah on the Sandwich Isles. I think they are around $7.99 or so at lots of places....also at Longs too maybe? If interested, follow the link www.videopostcard.com Nice gift for some people PinkCarnation, OK?

Best XMas item. Buy some cool items (at Long). Gussy up your resort room with twinkling Christmas lights and a "Santa statue" for da beach like I do when going at Christmas time. Mele whatever. :)

Best color nail polish? PINK.....please!

I usually just buy some good SPF 15 of any brand...look for what's on sale. I like the spray stuff for my back side. :)

Unique Xmas item: Can't think of one. But here's an event. At Big Beach one time, just before Christmas, Santa came upon shore rowing a kayak (and without all his elf's, and reindeer's) and gave out candy on the beach. I'll never forget that...very unique experience. (I bet he was sweating like a wild Hawaiian pig all wrapped up in that thick great looking Santa suit. No wonder Santa doesn't have a tan!) LOL

Sorry I didn't answer all your questions PinkCarnation! Have a great time!

Edited: 21 October 2011, 19:52