We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Tales

T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Whale Tales

When does humpback whale season around Maui officially start?

Our first whale sighting off of Maui 9 years ago in January was unbelievably amazing to me. I think the only thing that could top it might be a kayak/whale encounter! And that would probably just stop my heart. But... what a way to go!

Tell you my story if you tell me yours...

Do you have a whale tale to share?

Aloha

Teri

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,993 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Tales

"Officially whale season is between December 15th - May 15th. They always come earlier though, the first of the season were spotted a couple of weeks ago.

The first time I actually saw whales "putting on a show" was at Big Beach on Maui. There were 4 or 5 of them. Breach after breach after breach. This went on for a solid half an hour, not even 50 yds. from shore. After they were done, everyone on the beach stood up and clapped. Chicken skin I tell ya!!

Just remember anyone in the water, swimmer, kayakers, boaters etc. by law have to stay at least 100 yards away!!

Edited: 25 October 2011, 23:33
T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Tales

Would absolutely never approach one, but boats are allowed to stop at a distance and if the animal approaches, it's ok, right?

Big Beach is so beautiful. Net that was a spectacular sight!

Edited: 26 October 2011, 00:08
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,993 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Tales

Boats are to stop 100 yds. away. Now, the whales, they can do anything they want. If a whale was to surface right beside the boat, the captain then has to cut the engine and wait until the whale leaves before going any further.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,063 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Tales

You did it! Sorry Terri, no story here....was in Maui once at the end of April and we saw whales from shore, but just the tails/tales! We have orcas in my neighbourhood. I shall be waiting anxiously for your whale story!

Ohio
Level Contributor
22 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale Tales

We will be there April 19 to 28 next year. What are the chances we will see whales? Possible? Probable?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,569 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale Tales

Teri we go every winter to avoid our crappy weather and to enjoy the whale activity! Our best "shows" have been from sunset cruises. We were once caught in a full on competition pod...It was amazing to watch those behemoths breaching and slamming into each other!

Here are some pics from 2010 …tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-00a2-68c4-ada3…

lumpy....there may be a few whales around but the highest numbers are in Feb.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,201 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale Tales

Lumpy67 -- Get out on the water. It could happen! Keep your binoculars handy.

Kayakers are sometimes approached by whales. The daughter of friends has photos of a whale calf diving under her kayak and eye hopping her from both sides until 'Mom" called it back into deeper waters. She was north-bound between Wailea and Kihei, early morning.

Maalaea Bay is a favorite of cows with new calves, and the bulls come a-courting. Most bull competition we've observed has been mid-afternoon. (Maybe those bachelor guys sleep in?)

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale Tales

Two stories that made Lahaina town buzz.

1st one was that the submarine tour was delayed because a whale

was beside the sub staring into the viewing windows. When the whale left , the sub came back to Lahaina harbor and the customers spilled into the town with their stories and photos.

2nd one. Was a large whale was breaching in front of town and heading up to Kaanapali. It appeared that she was teaching her little baby how to breach. So the big whale would breach and then the little whale would try.

The big whale would jump even higher and then the little whale would hop out of the water. The two whales stayed close to shore and were heading North. They were spotted in downtown Lahaina from Front Street and

carried on all the way up to the Marriott Kaanapali area. It was exciting.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale Tales

Fantastic YouTube of sub/humpback encounter mentioned by Jimgloria (take it to full screen via button at lower right of video):

www.youtube.com/watch…

Also. great Cousteau video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnU-6pZL3eY

Edited: 26 October 2011, 18:16
T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whale Tales

Mahalo to all!

To msfuzz for layin' down the law on whale interaction.

Joan- have you had any close encounters of the orca kind? It must be wonderful to live anywhere near the sea.

Lumpy- the submarine video was from Apricot so maybe you will have good whale luck on your visit. Hope so.

Mamma --Love thanks for the sunset cruise tip. Def on ourthe agenda. That competition pod must've been amazing!

Chisue- the kayak experience sounds straight out of my dreams! I've never been able to see a calf. When are you most likely to see them?

Jimgloria- two great stories! What do you think was going through that whale's mind as it looked through the submarine window??

Beaches- love, love, love the videos! The Cousteau one is a beautiful dream...

Edited: 28 October 2011, 02:16